Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • put a deposit down on an Orange RX9
    quentyn

so i will dip my toe into gravel bikes with an Orange RX9s

https://www.sunsetmtb.co.uk/shop/index.php?product_id=11899&category_id=143

it will be my 1st ever road bike as i have always ridden bmx or mountain bike ( havent ridden BMX in years)

Anyway based on the specs what would you upgrade ? i have a habit of upgrading a lot but on this one i am not sure ? should i upgrade anything from the off or ride it for a while and then upgrade ? is it worth converting to 1 x 12 ? i see other RX9’s higher up the spec list have a 1×12 so i presume that the hub is fine to take a 1×12 ? upgrade the brakes to hope ? swap the rear cassette to something higher up the range ?

Dropper Y|N ?

grab a set of 650 wheels ?

where would you start ?

I should probably finish this request by stating that i quite like working on my bikes so the work can almost be as good as the ride :)

neila

Upgrading to 1×12, either Shimano or SRAM, will be a big outlay. New groupset and wheels at least. If you want 1×12, buy a bike with it from the start.

rOcKeTdOg

What makes you want the RX9 in particular?

jam-bo

I’d start by riding it.

superstu
    Free Member

What Jam bo said

if you’re going in thinking of changing brakes, wheels and groupset I’d probably start somewhere else or just build from frame only

scotroutes

If you’re going in thinking of changing the wheels, brakes and groupset then I’d suggest buying a different bike.

easily
    Free Member

Are you getting a medium?

I’ll buy it from you when you realise it isn’t what you want.

Aidy
    Free Member

imo 1x is crazy for a gravel bike. Best thing about them is how versatile they are, and you want enough of a range that you can get a comfortable gear both on and off road.

If you’re desperate to throw money at it, first thing I’d look at is a second wheelset, and have one set up for more on-road, and one for more off-road.

quentyn

thanks all i think i will just get it and ride it :) really its for commuting which my mountain bike was meant for but err i got annoyed by being out of range on the gears and having people on road bikes smoke me up the hills :)

thanks for the advice,

rOcKeTdOg

It’ll make a good Commuting bike 👍

ashhh

I find 1×11 great on my camino gravel bike. Replaced a 2x cx bike and much prefer it. Used for commuting/ on and off road and light touring with no issue.

kerley
    Free Member

I would just buy a frame and build up as I am the same as you and just want to change everything to be exactly as I wanted it in the first place.

quentyn

i have it ! have only ridden it around the carpark as the weather was horrible and i had to hit the m4 before the traffic

for what i need at the moment 10×2 speeds seems fine

i see that the rear cassette is tiagra 11-34t – can someone with more shimano fu tell me if there is a quick upgrade path but keeping to 10 speed and the gearing to 11-34 ? i have googled and i think 105 is the one higher and ultegra higher than that but the weight of 105 seems to be where i should go ? is it like the difference between deore and XT ? deore is OK but XT is crisp and lighter ?

cookeaa

Keep the Tiagra, it’s just fine, ride it till it’s knackered then think about replacing it.

Same pull ratio as all Road/GRX 11 speed, if you must ‘upgrade’ and buy Ultegra or Dura Ace fine, but it won’t magically make the bike any more fun to ride, you’ll just have the most expensive part dangling off the arse of it waiting to get dropped.

vlad_the_invader

Dropper Y|N ?

For commuting? Jeez, where do you work??? 😮

quentyn

Re dropper – I  an get a little bit of single track as I cut through the gold course on the way to work :) it’s not much but it’s fun if you hammer it

didnthurt

Was about to mention the 2 x gearing but see someone has beaten me to it. 2 x gearing is better of you’re intending on riding more on the road but you might find you’re shifting between the front rings a fair bit off road, trying to find the right gear.

For upgrades to make your bike feel a bit more personal, it all comes down to the connection points like the saddle, pedals, bartape and handlebars.

Enjoy, I’m sure you’ll love it.

kerley
    Free Member

1x or 2x are not better than each other, it is down to personal preference.  I don’t like front mechs so I ran 1x on a road bike.  I don’t need low gears where I live so ran 11 speed 45 x 11-26 which was great.

chestrockwell

I’d keep the 2x as I used to run out of gears on my 1×11 Ragley Trig. Would also keep the wheels 700c. Tbh, keep as is and replace parts as they wear out. If you want to faff, just replace heavy bits with flasher stuff.

intheborders
    Free Member

If you’re going in thinking of changing the wheels, brakes and groupset then I’d suggest buying a different bike.

+1

barrysh1tpeas
    Free Member

1x is perfect for gravel, imo.

I bought a Camino with SRAM Apex 1. At the time other options were out of stock, and crazy long wait times (2021). I just went for the Apex expecting to upgrade it to GRX or something. But actualy it’s fine and it’s served me very well for gravel and winter road riding. Lower end groups are fine for gravel, where it’s going to get dirty and abused.

Wheels are the best upgrade you can make.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.