Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Puncture Problems with FSA XC500's
  • Hells

Is there anybody out there with FSA XC500’s and are you running them with tubes? Have you had any problems with punctures??

I recently bought a new bike which came with FSA XC500’s and Geax Saguaro tyres. I appreciate that these are meant to be tubeless, but they came with tubes fitted. There is no rim tape on the wheels.

The first serious ride I managed to get a pinch flat, OK these things happen. The second & third rides I managed to get more punctures. These more recent punctures are as a result of a series of cuts on the inner surface of the tubes, i.e. the surface next to the rim, for at least a third of the circumference. After I found these cuts I went back and checked the tube from the first ride, i.e. the one supplied with the bike, and found a similar pattern. Photos below:

Anyone else got this problem?? Any ideas what is causing it?

cynic-al
    Free Member

low pressure?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Perhaps you need rim strips?

Hells

I’m around 60 kg, 9½ stone and I run the pressure at around 35 psi!

The tubes have lasted between 10 and 20 miles on terrain varying from rocky or muddy paths to roads!!

Hells

I have though about rim tape, but they were supplied without it. From what I have read it should be OK to use the wheels with tubes 7 without tape!

I have sent an email to the company I got the bike from to see what they say, but I though I’d ask on here to see if there was any history of this or anyone could tell me what the problem is!

leftyboy
    Free Member

Rim tape is designed to stop this, doesn’t need to be a sealing strip just something like rim tape

cynic-al
    Free Member

there are holes in the bed of the rim?

YOU NEED RIM TAPE

Hells

No need to shout!!

And no, there are no holes in the bed of the rim. The wheels are designed that the spoke nipples are completely separate from the well of the rim!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Hmmm…are your tires moving?

Hells

There is no sign of movement in the tubes, remember these marks are on the surface next to the rim and run for at least a third of the circumference.They look like a series of cuts and form a regular pattern.

This is what the rim looks like:

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Puncture Problems with FSA XC500's’ is closed to new replies.