Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Pump Track – Guildford Area
  • Netdonkey

Anyone know of a good pump track I can take my boy to in the guildford / surrey area, I want him to get a feel for berms etc. before we hit some tougher trails…

boobs

You could go to swinley, berms everywhere and ways to get back up to try again.

Netdonkey

Cheers boobs, I was looking for that interim step before I take him to swinley, he is only 6 so wanted a more controlled space to improve his bike handling (and funnel the enthusiasm)

Hicksy
    Free Member

There is a small and not brilliant one (only 2 berms)on the waste ground adjacent to the Slyfield Industrial Estate. I don’t know of any others though.

jambalaya
    Free Member

YGM for a local suggestion. Otherwise just drive to Peaslake and session sections of say Barry Knows Best, normally quiet enough even on those trails to do a berm and push back up the side of the trail.

OP a few coke cans and some kerb drops. @Jedi just uses a couple of bits of wood and has you ride in a figure of 8, quite amazing what that can teach you.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member
    jambalaya
    Free Member

OP is your profile email address correct – I cannot reach you

stany
    Free Member

It’s not a pump track but you could try a few laps of Dorking West dirt jumps, by the allotments at Dorking West Station.
    There’s a flow trail with a few berms and roller/tabletops. It’s not the best designed track, but it’s one of the places my little one will be going once he’s on a balance bike

Netdonkey

Just pinged you a mail Jambalaya

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Southampton Bike Park – not too local I agree but pump track with 2 or 3 different lines round it plus 7 other tracks with anything from swoopy berms to 30 foot table tops.

All free to access and unrestricted so we have had to make stuff safe

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxQs5r4GohU[/video]

jambalaya
    Free Member

Just pinged you a mail Jambalaya

I won today’s “too stupid to use the internet prize” 😳

YGM * 2

Doh1Nut

Work colleague is nursing a ripped tendons in thumb courtesy of Dorking Dirt 🙁

Useful to get and experience of a track that goes up and down but little more.
    Its a shame that so much work went into building something so un-ridable by mountain bikes.
    There used to be a really diddy one by Brookwood woking – but the council flattened it.

I need to take a look at a couple of dirt jump spots I have seen from the road that might have something roll-able.

Jason
    Free Member

At 6 Swinley is probably worth a visit. My daughter is 6 and she rides the Green fine, and then we tend to ride the fireroad to Stickler (sorry not sure what the Blue number is for it) where she can ride all of that, there are a few easy berms in there. Then it is an easy roll back down the hill to the carpark. It won’t be long and she will be on the faster trails.

There used to be a nice little pump track at Deepcut, but flatted by the MOD a few years ago.

cumberlandsausage
    Free Member

I’ve been trying to get a pumptrack in Guildford for a long while now. The guy in Parks who was most likely to go with it has just left, so unless I build a cheeky one somewhere, its not looking too promising.

Southampton was ok from what i remember. Let us know what you find, if anything.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Get a copy of Pump Track Nation which describes how to build a pump track and then get digging?

Probably worth asking land owners permission. That’s what I did to get Southampton Bike Park built

cumberlandsausage
    Free Member

thats the hard part, finding the land. Thanks though, I’ll keep that i mind!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I just kept explaining why the councils refusal for permission was incorrect and why my proposal benefited everyone. After a year the guy gave up and said I could do it.

It was built to help:
    disabled
    women
    fat blokes
    young kids
    disadvantaged people
    immigrants
    wildlife
    old people

I asked them to list who it was harming.

When they said they couldn’t afford it I said I would pay for it. It was dug by hand by volunteers so didn’t cost much. It is all site sourced dirt so little cost for materials

Just keep removing their reasons to say no. Sometimes it takes a bit of imagination to present your case but it is always possible

Muke
    Free Member

Not sure if it’s still going but Gravity Project used to have an indoor pump track at Lower Froyle.

cumberlandsausage
    Free Member

Sadly the quarry at Froyle has been sold for development. That was a great pumptrack!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Pump Track – Guildford Area’ is closed to new replies.