Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Puffin , Pegasus,and Toucan Crossings
  • project
    Free Member

Does repeatedly pressing the button have any effect on the speed the lights change, and why when i have right of way, do drivers of BMW, Audi, and Renault Lagunas always feel the need to skid to a halt and shout, thats a pedestrian crossing you F..kING W..k.r , and i dont think they meant walker.

Smee
    Free Member

Its because very few drivers on the roads know what the hell they're doing.

uplink
    Free Member

and why when i have right of way, do drivers of BMW, Audi, and Renault Lagunas always feel the need to skid to a halt and shout, thats a pedestrian crossing you F..kING W..k.r , and i dont think they meant walker.

I can honestly say I've never had that

As for the question – I don't believe it makes a difference

rs
    Free Member

makes no difference, you'll just wear out the button quicker then one day it won't work and it'll all be your fault.

phiiiiil

The thing I always wonder about pedestrian crossings… when you press the button, why does it wait for ages before the lights actually change?

If they've only just changed back then fair enough, but if they haven't, what's the point of waiting? Surely a person waiting is more likely to just try to cross anyway, so risking being run over or annoying drivers when the light changes but they crossed ages ago…

Kahurangi

The thing I always wonder about pedestrian crossings… when you press the button, why does it wait for ages before the lights actually change?

probably because most of them have motion/traffic sensors and are waiting for a gap. If none comes then it changes after a predefined time?*

*note: a guess. never stopped anyone on the internet before.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Does repeatedly pressing the button have any effect on the speed the lights change

Yes – definitely.

Although have to keep stabbing it in rapid succession. If you do it often enough, you will find that the lights suddenly change.

Try it sometime.

uplink
    Free Member

Can't remember where I heard it but I believe it's so that groups of peds can cross at the same time – ie waiting for a crowd

geoffj

And why does no one in London town press the button???????????????

ourkidsam
    Free Member

Ever felt the underneath of the box the button sits in? It moves about to let blind people know to cross

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

It moves about to let blind people know to cross

I don't believe a word of that. But I'm definitely going find out if it's true.

I might stop on the way to work tomorrow and get out of my car just to press the button and have a feel.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Ernie, don't, no point. It's broken.

GrahamS

Had to google to find out what a Pegasus crossing is.

Never seen one before.

Are there a lot of horses round your way then?

Onzadog
    Free Member

The blind thing is true. We order signal boxes with a rotating knurled cone on the underside.

nbt

what happpened to the beeping noise for blind people?

rkk01
    Free Member

I thought Pegasus crossing was a bridge on the River Orne…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

And why does no one in London town press the button

It is the same everywhere – people just stand there without pressing, almost like they are above pressing a button. Weird.

nickc

Its because very few drivers on the roads know what the hell they're doing.

Yep, round here, an orange flashing light means: get the revs up to about 8000, and drop the clutch like you're on pole position the very instant my rear foot makes it to the pavement…I'm looking at you, Mr Clio driver this morning…

GrahamS

Maybe I'm just prejudice, but I don't think blind people should be riding horses in busy traffic.

muddy_bum
    Free Member

Ever felt the underneath of the box the button sits in?

Three bits of second hand chewing gum and something sticky.

phiiiiil

And why does no one in London town press the button???????????????

'Cos by the time it changes the chances are they'll have legged it across the road anyway. Hence why I think it's silly that you have to stand there for ages!

Milkie
    Free Member

what happpened to the beeping noise for blind people?

Beeping is for blind people, the button thingy is for blind & deaf people I guess…

GrahamS

According to Wikipedia:

After requesting to cross (by pressing a button) a kerb-side detector monitors the pedestrian's continued presence at the crossing. Should the pedestrian decide to cross prematurely, walk away from the crossing, or wait outside the detection area, the pedestrian's request to cross could be automatically cancelled so traffic is not halted unnecessarily.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puffin_crossing

So you might as well press the button anyway, because if you leg it then it will cancel.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Should the pedestrian decide to cross prematurely, walk away from the crossing, or wait outside the detection area, the pedestrian's request to cross could be automatically cancelled

Outside the detection area ? WTF – we now have pedestrian crossings who are stroppy and get the hump ?

"Sorry mate, you stepped outside 'the detection area'. Your request to cross has been cancelled"

ffs ……….. bleedin' jobsworths

GrahamS

Well you can't expect to just go walking about like you have some kind of independent will y'know.

rs
    Free Member

Outside the detection area ? WTF – we now have pedestrian crossings who are stroppy and get the hump ?

"Sorry mate, you stepped outside 'the detection area'. Your request to cross has been cancelled"

ffs ……….. bleedin' jobsworths

bet your the first to moan about all the traffic congestion too, if you decide to cross before you're supposed too, you're ped crossing time gets cancelled and traffic spends less time queuing, quit whining!

project
    Free Member

Bleeping crossings are now being phased out as the bleeping annoys neighbours and if theira an island in the middle with two crosssings seperately operated, a blind person may cross by mistake and become a pizza on a BMW.

Pegasus crossings have the buttons about 6 foot up the pole, and i once told a woman who asked, they where for tall people, so they didnt have to bend down.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

are now being phased out as the bleeping annoys neighbours

……. and of course the sound of cars smacking into blind people isn't quite so annoying.

project
    Free Member

The little green man who comes on, why cant we have him with some sort of ray gun as in a martian alien,and any car that fails to stop,he fires his gun and theyre vapourised.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Puffin , Pegasus,and Toucan Crossings’ is closed to new replies.