• This topic has 64 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by jj55.
Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Public Sector Workers earn more than those in the private sector
  • CaptJon
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator
    What a thoroughly in depth report.

+ 1

If anyone takes the time to read the report you’ll find it:

– incredibly one sided in its analysis
    – lacks a methodology so you can check how they have worked stuff out
    – includes nothing about any definitions
    – their proposals don’t match their findings
    – hides the huge drawbacks of their study way beyond any journo will read
    – is blatantly ideologically driven
    – is one of the most repulsive things you’ll ever read

I’m in the middle of marking undergraduate dissertations and if someone gave me that to mark it would get something around 45% for the research. I hope even the Tories aren’t stupid enough to accept it as valid and robust research to inform policy.

Stoner
    Free Member

the same madness is why much of the mid 2000’s NHS budget increases went on employer’s NI increases that happened at the same time.

ransos
    Free Member

It’s probably bollocks, but if it does turn out to be true, I say “good”. Is there any particular reason why public sector workers should join a race to the bottom?

v8ninety

+1 to Binners.

The fact is we’re ALL getting shafted by this lot, and they’ve barely started yet. The last thing they would want is any solidarity between the private and public sector employees

Invoice to Lord Acshcroft at the usual Belize address?

was going to wade in with my two pence, but Binners has spent it for me!

dazh

I’m a Paramedic. My sister in law works in a call centre.

It’s amazing/disgusting isn’t it. An (ex)partner of a mate of mine is a paramedic and we were not long ago discussing the ridiculousness of the situation, where ‘the market’ deems that someone who literally has people’s lives in their hands is worth the same as same an administrative worker or a junior computer programmer.

Same goes for most other professional public sector workers whose role and responsibilities go way beyond those who are paid similar wages in the private sector.

And to think people complain about their wages!

v8ninety

Crikey. i’m a paramedic too, but I’m actually quite satisfied (to the point of suprise) about my salary. Will be looking into call centre work, better hours, less drunks… 😆

Drac

Well as a Paramedic Team Leader my wage is a good wage but it’s boosted by shift work bonus but I can’t help wondering what would I get with the job responsibilities plus 12 staff and a department to look after in the private sector.

One thing I do know for where I live and work I’d be very hard pushed to get a job in the same town that pays the same though but that’s because there’s very little industries left here.

retro83
    Free Member

dazh – Member
    It’s amazing/disgusting isn’t it. An (ex)partner of a mate of mine is a paramedic and we were not long ago discussing the ridiculousness of the situation, where ‘the market’ deems that someone who literally has people’s lives in their hands is worth the same as same an administrative worker or a junior computer programmer.

I think you’ll find that junior programmers & admin workers start on considerably less than £21k outside of London.

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

my oldest daughter’s fella is a 21 year old plumber and is salary is broadly the same as mine – I’m a community mental health nurse with 16 year experience and a masters degree – daily I make decisions that has a huge impact on peoples life

frequently work over without payment – in real terms no pay raise for the last 2-3 years – indeed due to inflation its actually a pay cut – never have chance for lunch (sandwich garbed between visits)

grum
    Free Member

breakneckspeed – you’re precisely the type of idle public sector scum that needs a healthy dose of the real world to get you out of your cosy bubble. Makes me sick.

😉

maccruiskeen

Its a hugely problematic comparison to make particularly at the moment when the ground is shifting in the public sector. Cuts can mean a lot of low-value jobs being tendered out the the private sector – so if all the low paid cleaners, bin collectors, street sweepers stop being public sector employees and become private sector employees (all be it ultimately paid for by the tax payer) public sector salaries seem to go up – be removing the lowest paid jobs – and private sector salaries seem to go down.

At the same time you are only comparing ‘jobs’ and not all the workers in the private sector, not everyone working in the private sector has a ‘job’. I work in the same field now as I did when I worked in the public sector – but I don’t have a job I have a business and now my income comes from profit, not wages – theres no equivalent in the public sector for profit, dividends, shares, bonuses or capital that someone in the private sector might accrue instead of (or importantly as well as) wages.

But essentially why moan whether the bias runs one way or the other. If you think the grass is greener on the other side – what stopping you from jumping over the fence?

jj55

If the Public Sector is that good why wasn’t there more interest when it was recruiting!!! In my (30 years) experience this hasn’t been the case!

Tories are out to cut back public sector, and invest in the private sector. Quality will fall dramatically, services will be reduced, and it will still cost the tax payer the same except it will be out of a different budget and therefore hidden.

It’s political!

IanMunro
    Free Member

Nearly all council services can and should be privatised, at market rate wages.

This is what Suffolk council was planning to do. Outsource everything. I’m sure everyone remembers the huge announcements about how it would be cheaper and more efficient and a shining example of the ‘big society’.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11398678

That was last year. This year they are now trying to quietly scrap the plans and the £220,000 Chief executive of this plan is now on ‘gardening leave’.
    The problems seem to be multiple, but can largely be defined as the council has a fixed income. Privatising everything means making lots of people redundant, which means instant cuts in service partially because a replacement private service takes time to commission, and also because you can’t afford the service anyway because your income is being spent on redundancy.
    Secondly, the council then discovered that you need a completely different skill-set if you want to contract things. You need lots of expensive lawyers to write and check contracts, and you need lots of contract compliance staff to check the contracts are being complied with. All of which costs lots of money, which didn’t appear to be able to be clawed back from redundancies.

miketually
    Free Member

Lots of private sector workers pay taxes. Some of those taxes end up in my bank account. I spend them on stuff provided by the private sector.

In return, a bunch of kids end up knowing a bit more about computers.

If the cash wasn’t given to me, the private sector workers would just spend slightly more on stuff provided by the private sector.

(And my train driver mate – the little chuggy ones, not big, fast ones – earns more than me.)

tinribz
    Free Member

Private sector cheaper? Anyone have a like for like example?

They outsourced IT services where I work some years ago, replacing a handful of programmers on 25k.

Now we have many times more private sector programmers on 1k a day and their managers on 1.5k a day. And that’s not including the seemingly never ending need for non technical public sector IT contract managers, and their managers earning 30 – 40k.

Costs went up 10x easily. And you can’t get anything done without additional funding.

We had a quote recently from contractors for £135 an hour.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

£135 per hour. You really think that is expensive?

poly
    Free Member

I’m a Paramedic. My sister in law works in a call centre.

But which would you rather do? Why do we assume that remuneration should be related to “value” and not to “market rate”?

maccruiskeen

But which would you rather do?

theres a nail hit on the head – the wages attracted by many jobs reflect just how much people want to do the work, not the value of the work. Even very similar jobs have differing salaries simply because people want to do one rather than the other.

If you’re a childrens worker you’ll likely get paid less than a youth worker, even though the work, skills and qualifications are very similar – simply because more people want to work with younger children than older children.

In my line of work public sector employers in cities pay less than employers in the countryside, when I worked in Inverness I was getting paid almost double the wage of some comparable jobs in London.

Pembo
    Free Member

They outsourced IT services where I work some years ago, replacing a handful of programmers on 25k.

Now we have many times more private sector programmers on 1k a day and their managers on 1.5k a day. And that’s not including the seemingly never ending need for non technical public sector IT contract managers, and their managers earning 30 – 40k.

Costs went up 10x easily. And you can’t get anything done without additional funding.

We had a quote recently from contractors for £135 an hour.

That is the single biggest problem with the public sector, they pay way over the odds for IT compared with the private sector and I assume they pay way over the odds for other services. Do you think Tesco pay the rates to IT suppliers you quote?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I did some (non-IT) consultancy work last year.

Public sector clients opened negotiations with a rate about twice that of private.

stevie750

I work for the public sector in IT and I get the same pay as the private sector.

dazh

I can’t help wondering what would I get with the job responsibilities plus 12 staff and a department to look after in the private sector

Where I work about 50-60k.

johnners
    Free Member

I did some (non-IT) consultancy work last year.

Public sector clients opened negotiations with a rate about twice that of private

Did you haggle them down so as not to rip off the “hard-working taxpayer” who was ultimately footing the bill, or did you just elbow your way to the trough?

chewkw
    Free Member

Bureaucrats rule! 😆

Make that 3 carbon copies.

jj55

A manager of a McDonalds restaurant earns more than a Manager of a large Jobcentre. 😕

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Public Sector Workers earn more than those in the private sector’ is closed to new replies.