Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Pub lunch between Reading and Farnborough? Any recommendations
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

As above, really! Need to find somewhere for lunch en route between Reading and Farnborough. Will be driving, so beer’s not the main priority, but a nice place for a decent bite would be ideal. Sunny garden preferred, of course!

TIA.

philconsequence
    Free Member

depends if you want to go down the a329 towards bracknell then apst camberley to get to f’bro or from reading down the a33, cut through hartley wintney/fleet to get to f’bro…..

binners

Isn’t this the point where Hora comes on and says that although he doesn’t know any in that area, he once had a great pub lunch at a place in Cornwall? 😆

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Philomena, route is entirely lunch-dependent, so give it your best shot! 😉

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Golden Retriever ?

click

could fit a quick ride in at Swinely too.

Andy_B

http://www.pineappledorney.co.uk/pub/

this place is ok for a sandwich and fairly convenient.

philconsequence
    Free Member

golden retriever is a good recommendation, or the Wellington in sandhurst has good food.

not much to write home about in f’bro and reading has the normal mass market nandos, wagammaas etc in the town centre.

ummmm is this today? are you in reading now? did you hear me shouting ‘FLASHY’ from the garden?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

ummmm is this today? are you in reading now? did you hear me shouting ‘FLASHY’ from the garden?

Yes. Put some clothes on.

😉

(No, a few days away!)

philconsequence
    Free Member

ohhhhhhh how exciting 😀

weekend or weekday?

fourbanger
    Free Member

In finest STW tradition I’ll offer the Potkiln at Yattendon. Slight detour, but well worth it.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Weekday, Philly. My cavalcade will, I hope, cause minimum disruption to the local population. 😉

some great tips here, folks. Thanks! Will research…!

MrsPoddy
    Free Member

I was going to recommend the Golden retriever or go past Peacock Farm Pub Restaurant, Bracknell, Berkshire, RG12 8SS on my route from Reading to Farnborough and it is always has people in the beer garden don’t know what the food is like though they all seem to have pints in their hands.

thepurist

How about the Brickmakers Arms in Windlesham. Slight detour, but fair to middling grub.

philconsequence
    Free Member

if you’re settling down for a quick google then dont forget wokingham, hartley wintney, fleet, upper hale (actually there’s a fantastic pub in upper hale which does beautiful food, nice garden out the back and its dog friendly…. will scout out the name for you), crowthorne, and sandhurst.

all available depending on which route you take

anagallis_arvensis

George and Dragon in swallowfield is nice

gusamc
    Free Member

Elm Tree, Beech Hill
    (*not been for a while, but used to be good)

*edit
    you SHOULD do the Gorge Cafe, Reading as it’s an institution, however http://www.lortolan.com/ may be more suitable

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Golden Retriever ?

Mediochre Chain pub. Try the Black Boy in Shinfield, not the best choice of niche beers, but the food’s always tasty. Avoid Friday’s though as it’s always packed with leaving doo’s from FW.

philconsequence
    Free Member
    olii
    Free Member

Phoenix just out of Hartley Wintney or Crown and Cushion in Minley.

Homepage

boltonjon

As suggested above, the Crown & Cushion in Minley is very good, as is the Queens Oak and The Greyhound in Finchampstead

http://www.queensoak.co.uk/

http://www.thegreyhound-finchampstead.co.uk/

philconsequence
    Free Member

ohhhh forgot about the crown and cushion

*bookmarks the thread as i needed to find somewhere nice to eat for a fmily gathering the day before the wedding*

tonyd

Shoulder of Mutton used to do excellent food, used to be a good idea to book but I’ve not been for a while. Website could do with updating (Christmas Menu – new for 2009!).

Fox and Hounds in Fleet is a good one. Hard to beat on a sunny day – beer and lunch by the canal.

tonyd

Crown and Cushion good also. Queens Oak changed hands again a while ago I think, we went a few months ago and it was OK but nowt special.

Greyhound is nice but a bit poncey for my liking.

piha
    Free Member

The Frog & Wicket in Eversley was ok the last time I went and I think that they have a sister pub in Rotherwick.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

philconsequence
    Free Member

if you go the way in deadly’s map it takes you past the turning for the Alma in upper hale, its about 500meters up the road on the left.

from a traffic point of view its a much nicer drive than going via bracknell!

Torminalis
    Free Member

ooo, ooo, what you want is the Golden Pot in Eversley, almost exactly half way between the two places and do some cracking food, surprisingly good actually, and they keep decent beer.

philconsequence
    Free Member

@torminalis:

*taps watch and refreshes facebook messages* 😉

Torminalis
    Free Member

I am summoning the words of weddingyness as we speak…

philconsequence
    Free Member

excellent 🙂 griffin and I need something to be happy about at the moment!

EDIT – sorry everyone, back on track now.

whilst we’re recommending good foodingz, any recommendations of something close to wokingham/crowthorne? doesn’t need to be a pub.. can be a posh restyraunt 🙂

allthepies
    Free Member

Touring the provinces CFH ?

BTW: I was at Stonehenge Ales (Bunces) last Friday, you used to work there I believe ?

onandon
    Free Member

I live in Fleet and recommend the following two.
    Consistent great food in both

Crown & Cushion
    Minley Road Blackwater
    Camberley, Surrey GU17 9UA, United Kingdom
    01252 545253

or the

Shoulder Of Muttonmore
    Hartley Witney
    Hook, Hampshire RG27 8NB,
    United Kingdom
    0118 932 6272
    shoulderofmutton-hants.co.uk?

mikeconnor
    Free Member

I thought the titel said ‘punch up between Reading and Farnborough’.

I would recommend Bracknell.

piha
    Free Member

You could forget the pub lunch and have an utterly great full English breakfast and a pint of orange juice in the North Camp cafe in Farnborough (technically not Farn’ but North Camp), never had a bad breakfast in there.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

whilst we’re recommending good foodingz, any recommendations of something close to wokingham/crowthorne? doesn’t need to be a pub.. can be a posh restyraunt

In Wokingham

Thai (both quite exppensive, you could eaisly get through £40/head):
    Teak House
    Red Lion (very british pub name, actual a Thai restsurant)

Curry:
    Sultan (I think that was the best, but they’re all pretty good)

There’s also an expensive italian one that I can’t remember the name of in the building in the middle of the marketplace, opposite Cafe Rouge. Surly waiters, overpriced, but brilliant food, just like being in Italy.

tonyd

Curry in Wokers, yep Sultan is good, as is the Tamarind Tree on Peach Street.

Not that posh, but Don Beni’s is usually good and they cater well for large groups. There’s one in Wokingham (Denmark St) and Crowthorne (High St).

boltonjon

Your thinking of the Courtyard in Wokingham – very nice

The Queens Oak in Finchampstead was taken over by new management about 18 months ago, but the new chef who came in 6 months ago has made a hell of a difference to the food – top quality now

It’s also my local – about 50 yards from the house!

MrsPoddy
    Free Member

crown and cushion, good food stroppy unwelcoming landlord & lady….

Torminalis
    Free Member

I once went into the Crown and Cushion with a vegetarian friend, he asked about vegetarian options and the landlady said he should have the Chicken Curry. We asked if that was special vegetarian chicken and she replied in a terse tone ‘We don’t actually put any chicken in it’ like we were the idiots.

My mates face when he was told the only veggie option was Chicken curry was priceless.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Your thinking of the Courtyard in Wokingham – very nice

That’s the one.

I had a bit of a Man Vs Food moment last time I went, Fillet steak stuffed with sausagemeat (or maybe the other way arround). Either way it was the size of a medium housebrick and took a good half hour to polish off!

There’s a good all you can eat Chinese (propper order off the menu place, not a bufffet of sugary slops) at the Maidens in Lower Earely.

Or further into Reading there’s Sweeney & Todds pie shop (just about any type of food, made into pie), Glo (Asian) and Zero degrese (pizza and microbrewery 🙂 )

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Pub lunch between Reading and Farnborough? Any recommendations’ is closed to new replies.