Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • PSA (very) cheap roof tent.
  • scotroutes

I donā€™t see it myself, but theyā€™ve come up a few times on STW.

As you were šŸ˜‚

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Hmmm, not sure thatā€™s the genuine go outdoors websiteā€¦.

Edit: Ā£889 here, looks like that is a dodgy websiteā€¦.

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/16618550/oex-vertex-lite-roof-tent-16618550

joebristol

Is that not a dodgy website? Address looks like go outdoors but it isnā€™t actually go outdoors. Plus itā€™s too cheap.

andy5390

I get a ā€œwarningā€¦..g***k is under constructionā€

With the details in the link, you can find this

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/16618550/oex-vertex-lite-roof-tent-16618550

Edit: Beaten to it by KB

tall_martin

Ā£800!

Thatā€™s a lot of hotels

Whatā€™s wrong with a tent on the ground? In Oz- snakes. In the UK- badgers? Small dogs/ kids weeing?

Iā€™m out!

littledave
    Free Member

Just a bit of balance on why use a roof tent.

We have one and find it ideal for roadside one night stops in Scotland. Ours is a hardshell type, very quick to open / close and bedding already set out.

They are expensive however we tend to make plans at short notice and may not be able to book accommodation where we wish.

Not for everyone but they do have a niche for some like myself.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Ā£800!

Thatā€™s a lot of hotels

16-20 nights in a hotel, maybe 40 if you can get a hostel. Depending how much you use it you could break even pretty quickly.

Also a damn sight cheaper than a van plus conversion etc.

I was a sceptic but Iā€™m coming round to the idea.

matt_outandabout

Having sat on a other campsite watching a couple balance up the ladder, struggle with the pitch/wind catching it (this time it was one with a stand up ā€˜porchā€™ to the side), then discovering that thier car battery was flat as they had the car doors open for so long so unable to head to the cafe they used for breakfast each morning, itā€™s a no from me.

#smugvanowner

A normal tent looks too be comfier, cheaper and less hassle ā€“ the only advantage I can see is being able to ā€˜pull up and sleepā€™ without needing a pitch space on grass.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Yeah, a hard top thatā€™s a simple case of popping open would be the way forward as mentioned already. Iā€™m thinking for rocking up and getting an early start.

When a simple caravan with a bed (never mind room for a bike) costs as much as my carĀ  Iā€™m prepared to accept certain compromises. Iā€™d love somethink like a Kip Adventurer but the cost is prohibitive.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ā£800!

Thatā€™s a lot of hotels

Is it? Prices have been bonkers since covid meant everyone discovered how nice Wales / The Lakes is.Ā  Weā€™re booked in for a few midweek nights in Blaenau Festiniog at the end of the month. Ā£85/night, there was a pub cheaper for about Ā£45 but Iā€™ve never seen so many 1* reviews šŸ˜‚.Ā  Five ā€œwildā€ camping weekends and itā€™s in profit.

Whatā€™s wrong with a tent on the ground? In Oz- snakes. In the UK- badgers? Small dogs/ kids weeing?

Nothing, other than the ground is rarely flat where you wan it to be, car parks arenā€™t great for sleeping on, you end up needing mattresses etc as well as a tent.

Thereā€™s plenty of camping that falls between the needs for a 3 bedroom polyester family bungalow on a campsite and a bivi bag in a ditch.Ā  A lot of mine used to be sleeping in a decathlon pop-up next to my car because it was the quickest and easiest way to get an early start riding the next day after driving there overnight after work on a Friday, or at Sailing races where ā€˜campingā€™ is on some gravely scrub at the back of a boatyard.

Same principle as all these ā€œstealth camperā€ conversions, but with less tongue and groove, fairly lights, leaky plastic windows and moss growing because itā€™s only driven once a month.

When I get another car (currently no need for one day to day so make do without) a roof tent is top of the list of things to get with it.

Iā€™m out!

Congratulations, the venn diagram of course overlaps, but roof tents are the other sort of camp.

RustyNissanPrairie

MrsRNP and I have gone from overlander prepped Defender110 with a Howling Moon rooftent to LWB van and a massive tent to our current set up of a T@B lightweight caravan along with a plenty of kipping in the back of Volvoā€™s.

The RTT was good as the mattress and bedding was already in place meaning the rest of storage space was used for food/cooking/parts/tools, you didnā€™t need to get anything out on a daily basis. It was slightly faffy to put away but that hassle has been sorted with the advent of hardshell pop-up RTTā€™s. The main disadvantage is thereā€™s now a lot of rebranded Chinese crap knocking about ā€“ originally it was just the South Africans who dominated the market as itā€™s used there.

The van and massive tent was good as we used it as a week long base and ventured off from it. No issues with literally taking the kitchen sink and having a really good base. The only issue being the van rotted out and was scrapped.

Weā€™ve just bought a T@B320 caravan ā€“ not cheap but our first week long trip was great. We calculated it would cost us Ā£800 a year depreciation whether it was used or not. We are running it alongside friends in their expensively converted VW Crafter. So far the caravan gives the ease of being able to use the tow car for exploring whereas the van needs a bit more packing away before driving. They have a bit more space than us.
    See the end of this thread ->

Porsche Ā£500 bangernomics

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.