Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • PSA: The end of free parking at Wheelbase/Mill Yard, Staveley
  • ped

They’re [re]introducing parking charges at the Mill Yard, Staveley. There’s apparently a 30 min grace period, but it’ll now cost you a tenner to park their ride for longer than a few hours.

(Pic stolen from our cycle club chat.)

4b7c8ae8981f7f1d3ef82fee2b96b586

thenorthwind

Is that all of it? I seem to remember there being different restrictions in different bits.

ped

All of it, as far as I’m aware: Cameras on the way in/out.

failedengineer

£10!! Robbing bastards.  I’d love it if people just stopped going and the car park was empty.  Won’t happen, of course.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Isn’t there LOADS of free parking in/around Staveley anyway?

yoshimi

Well that’s rubbish – assume there must be some other thing in place if you’re using the businesses…enjoing breakfast at Wilfs takes more than 30mins

ped

Aye, there are places round and about, but “Staveley [itself] is apparently going to have parking restrictions throughout the village.”

They used to have a scheme whereby you could grab a longer parking pass if you were visiting any business there, which I hope they find a way to reintroduce alongside these charges. Stopping for a cheeky coffee and cake at More Bakery or lunch* at Wilf’s Café ain’t so attractive if it’s gonna cost me £3 extra.

*Rarebit with black pudding FTW!

GolfChick
    Free Member

Oh great, now it’ll fill up earlier up by the bridge where I usually park as everyone will understandable want to avoid fees.

Mugboo

I don’t see ‘no overnight parking’ though…

crazy-legs

I don’t see ‘no overnight parking’ though…

There are plenty of additional signs in the car park specifying no overnight parking. There did used to be a fairly out of the way spot around the side which often had a couple of vans parked up discreetly…

There’s been charged parking there for a while but only during the week, you were supposed to get a ticket from one of the businesses to allow longer parking if required.

Shame cos that was always my free parking of choice in the South Lakes.

RustySpanner

Fine.

We’ll just stop popping in on our way past and invariably buying something and grabbing a bite.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Couldn’t care less about the £10 charge, but making it phone payment only is an utter ****’s move

mark88

We’ll just stop popping in on our way past and invariably buying something and grabbing a bite.

Likewise. I regularly pop into Wheelbase and to the bakery or the ice cream shop whilst passing. Having to pay for parking adds that touch of inconvenience to make me think “I can’t be bothered stopping”.

I believe last time they tried the local businesses got it stopped. I appreciate them charging for people there all day but they should be encouraging the passing trade.

lowey

Surely the Business’s will realise that this will impact them ? The brewery, Wilfs etc…. I’d be worried if I were them.

lecky94
    Free Member

It’s just the owner of the mill yard  getting greedy, loads of parking on the way into staveley in the laybys which is free,just a short road spin to get your legs warmed up.  Then stop at wheelbase or for food on your bike on the way back then you don’t have to pay the parking fee. Just please don’t dump your cars/vans to block entrances or drives as its bad enough already . Still free after 6 so fine for night rides.

martinhutch

Be interested to know if this is also driven by the businesses feeling that a load of mtbers rocking up, spending a token amount on cake from More or Wilfs, and then buggering off for a half-day ride doesn’t actually benefit them compared to having parking spaces available for other customers.

crazy-legs

How many of the other shops are actually destinations in themselves though?
    I reckon that apart from the bakery (which surely must be almost entirely local custom?), the rest of it is pretty dependent on Wheelbase.

Roadies ride to Wilf’s a fair bit which doesn’t affect parking or other custom in the slightest.

But I’ve seen loads of MTBers in the Hawkshead Brewery after a ride and if it’s expensive parking, I suspect many of them will simply park at another pub somewhere and ride from there instead.

chakaping
    Free Member

I reckon that apart from the bakery (which surely must be almost entirely local custom?)

As a visitor, the bakery is the only place I’ll always spend money. Usually on pies to eat at the end of my ride (and a few more for later in the week).

Something ironic about taking pies back to Wigan 😀

Bruce

Nearly as bad as the National Trust. They only take cash because they use the card reader part of the machine to scan membership cards. Last time we were in the lakes we went to Wheelbase and did some shopping and on the way home had some lunch at Wilf’s won’t bother if I have to pay by phone to park.

Sad really.

b33k34

Be interested to know if this is also driven by the businesses feeling that a load of mtbers rocking up, spending a token amount on cake from More or Wilfs, and then buggering off for a half-day ride doesn’t actually benefit them compared to having parking spaces available for other customers

I suspect very much this.  Compared to a few years back there seem a lot more customer facing businesses there now. Doesn’t really work for them if the car park’s full of mountain bikers who take space all day.  though it’s surprisingly expensive, and I’m surprised theres not an hour or two free

finners

We have an office in the Mill yard. Where I agree the cost / time will impact the small number of businesses, Parking is historically a nightmare. The car park size cant cope with the volume of businesses on site.

We all have to log our registration plates, along with any accounts / clients visiting. So maybe there will be an option to support actual custom to those that are consumer facing. The cameras were being installed today and go live by end of month. 

poolman
    Free Member

Thanks for the info, I usually go to more or wilfs when passing.  Even during the week it’s pretty busy with cars.  Low sizergh farm shop  just down the road towards kendal does a fab breakfast and you can park for free.  Nice cakes to take away too.

I actually use the bus to get around the lakes as a foot passenger.

Wilfs veggie chilli is lovely though.

bikebob

The sign doesn’t mention 30 mins free / grace. I feel the shops will be hit hard. I won’t be going to More or Wilfs if it’s an extra £3. Lots of other places to eat. One hour free would be a sensible option. Beyond 2 hours is fair game to charge. I give it a few months before a free period is introduced.

crazy-legs

Wilfs veggie chilli is lovely though.

Legendary!

mick_r

We never park there if riding – only to use the businesses. £3 for 1 hour is going to dent trade.

jp-t853

I won’t be stopping there anymore but I suspect plenty will. I just stop when passing by and by a couple of things but it is not worth the hassle of making a payment by phone. Shyster trick

jimmy

I’m not against parking charges – why not? I’m leaving my car on your property all day. Only been once, met pals and we all drove. 3 spaces we used all day, had a couple drinks in the Brewery and left. Had it have been a tenner (and we knew) we’d have probably parked elsewhere and ridden through for a pint / food, freeing up those spaces for other custom(ers). Or paid up. £10 to ride locally and conveniently park close to facilities? I don’t think that’s unfair.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I’ve heard from a reliable source* that this has actually been instigated by BikeTreks Ambleside as part of their four point plan to corner the trade in cafes and drive by bike shoppers heading for the lakes

1) Close the Ambleside shop and open in Ings where everyone can see you as they drive past.
    2) Open a cafe at the shop
    3) Convince Millyard to start charging for parking to starve Wheelbase and Wilf’s of their drive by trade.
    4) Get that path on the hill by Ings reclassified as a bridleway to make Ings the logical starting point for the 3 passes route.

Job done.

* Made up entirely, by me, just now. 😝

richardkennerley

it is not worth the hassle of making a payment by phone

But it’s less hassle?

Park up, pay by phone, get out of car and go about your business.

Or park up, walk to payment machine, get ticket, walk back to car, put ticket in car, go about your business.

Ings the logical starting point for the 3 passes route

Been the logical starting point for me for a while, the millyard car park was often bloody hard work, needs the parking bays putting on a slight angle.

RustySpanner

We don’t park there to go riding, but we’ve usually got bikes and camping gear in the car, and often the grand kids with us.

Wheelbase was a good place to buy clothing and shoes, you can actually try stuff on and they have a decent selection.
    Plus, it’s officially ‘on holiday’, so buying outdoor kit isn’t really spending real money, like you would at home….🙂

A fiver for three hours isn’t too bad really, but there are plenty of other places we can park for free, go gear shopping and grab some nice food.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

They’ve gone full on greedy bastard there, bet the retail businesses are fizzing. An hour free would make the long stayers have to make a decision but without penalising shoppers. Just seems counterproductive to me

dyna-ti

A shame if the phone payment link got vandalized.
    Repeatedly.

b33k34

A shame if the phone payment link got vandalized.
    Repeatedly.

It would be shame if mountain bikers cars got vandalized when they’ve disappeared for the day thinking they can park for free on private land and there are workers or customers of the businesses unable to park.

There’s clearly a shortage of parking here and a need to manage demand for it in some way. Land isn’t free, tarmac isn’t free, maintaining it isn’t free. Why people think parking should be is beyond me (and that goes for the rest of the road system too in my view – should be parking in marked bays only, and chargeable, everywhere)

ton

first world problems eh…………….

thecaptain
    Free Member

I’ve no problem in principle with paying to park – always felt a bit rude to park all day for a ride TBH, though we always spent a bit in wilfs – but a minimum of 3 quid seems a bit steep.

martinhutch

The thing is, there is no shortage of alternative on-street parking in Staveley, most of it within easy pedalling distance of the Mill Yard for pre or post-ride stuff. I’d be surprised if the landowner has done it without the approval of his tenant businesses.

First hour free or free after five for the Brewery would make more sense though.

bonni

Agree with @thecaptain

However, it would help if they waived the fee if you spent more than X quid in one of the local shops with some kind of code on a receipt. Not gonna happen though.

crazy-legs

The thing is, there is no shortage of alternative on-street parking in Staveley, most of it within easy pedalling distance of the Mill Yard for pre or post-ride stuff.

I bet there’s a new Controlled Parking Zone or double yellows or resident permit system going in alongside the Mill Yard charges, it’d be insane not to have that!

I kind of feel sorry for the residents of Staveley because that industrial estate smack in the middle of it is pretty much the entire source of all the traffic in the narrow village lane.

benman
    Free Member

When I rock up in my 50K T6 to ride my 10K Santa Cruz, I simply can’t bear to pay £10 to park for an entire day of fun.

jsinglet

I’ve heard from a reliable source* that this has actually been instigated by BikeTreks Ambleside as part of their four point plan to corner the trade in cafes and drive by bike shoppers heading for the lakes

Funnily enough, I’ve only been to Wheelbase once. That was because I’d been to BikeTreks and when they didn’t have what I wanted they suggested I go to Wheelbase!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.