Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • PSA – Superstar brake pads
  • hardtailonly

20% off with code BRAKE2021.

Just ordered 8 sets of Kevlar pads, work out at £6 a pair.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Just tried it, didn’t work ☹️

Is there a minimum spend?

P-Jay
    Free Member

Gawd bless ‘em, they stopped making pads YEARS ago, but they seem to have an endless supply for post 2011 SRAM Code pads. Even the normal price is too good to miss.

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Love their Kevlar pads, going to keep my fingers crossed they have the Shimano and Magyar ones I need (they won’t)

I take it all back, they do, so thanks hardtail for the PSA 👍👍

jonm81

Perfect, thanks.

Just put in my last set of kevlar pads from my old stocks. Now replenished with Magura MT5 and MT4 kevlar pads!

damascus
    Free Member

I thought they stopped selling brake pads? Just ordered some, I think that’s the first time I’ve had discount on a bike item in over 18 months! Thanks

cp

Lovely stuff. Haven’t found anything yet which is as good ‘all round’ as SS Kevlar pads in my deore, SLX and xt brakes.

jkomo

How squealy are these Kevlar pads of which you speak.

kimbers

Cheap & in stock!!

I prefer the ss reds to uber bike race matrix

nbt

CLicky link to be helpful: https://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/shop/mountain/mountain-braking/mountain-disc-brake-pads/

No 4-packs available for sintered, but you can get individual. I’ll pop to the garage at lunch to check what stocks I have and see what I need to order in

flyingmonkeycorps

Ta muchly – just stocked up on kevlar for my Curas.

sv

Plenty of decent pads on Aliexpress for £2-3/pair, Soccent brand has been working very well in my 4 pot Shimano and SLXs, in a variety of compounds.

kimbers

They also have saddles for a tenner which look OK (when I say look, I don’t mean aesthetics, just brown or olive left)

My go to wtb volt seems to have shot up in price

nuke

Weird as i thought they’d stopped and were just selling off old stock…not been able to get Elixir pads for years but now in stock

…so good psa

No 4-packs available for sintered, but you can get individual.

https://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/4-pack-sintered-disc-brake-pads.htm

?

nbt

Aw sorry that’s me being thick sorry. Apologies, as you were

kimbers

Double post

Yetiman
    Free Member

Wait a minute, they are stocking Formula pads again….when did that happen? Thanks for the PSA @hardtailonly I can stock up on my favourite SS kevlar pads again.

oldfart

I also thought they stopped selling pads as they were having issues with quality? I note they say their Kevlar pads can eat rotors any experience of this? Are there Organic pads up to the job of stopping a hefty E Bike?
    I’ve been using Uberbike E Bike specific? 🤔 pads which are OK but squeal like hell in the wet 🙄

superstarcomponents
    Free Member

Hello, I’m just going to step in before false rumours or presumptions start getting repeated.

We have sold hundreds of thousands of packs of pads over the last 15 years. Obviously if they were junk we would be out of business years ago. We literally get a handful of problems reported every year and every one which was returned was either worn like a cheese wedge, screwdrivered off the backing or eaten by a worn out rotor. I’m sure every brand gets the same.

Why do Kevlar eat rotors? It’s because they work too well… they just don’t fade so keep braking till your rotor gets so hot it goes soft and anneals. Personally I prefer that to brake fade and not being able to stop. Want less wear try organic but don’t drag your brakes all the way down an alpine decent.

Why did we stop stocking pads? Loads of brands popped up promising the world and selling them stupid cheap. Became pointless to try and compete with them, so we invested the cash flow into CNC machines instead.

Now 90% of those brands have gone pop, we decided to get some back in and continue selling quality pads for a sensible price. Who else offers 45 day no questions money back trial on pads?

Lead times are crazy so I suspect we will sell out of key ones in a month or so at the current rate and no more incoming till next year.

Neil SuperstarComponents

Superficial
    Free Member

Does anyone know which of their Shimano pads (if any) is compatible with road calipers? I need pads for my GRX brakes (L03A, apparently) which look a bit like the S2 or possibly the S6 but I suspect neither are quite right.

oldfart

Thanks Neil , so on my E Bike will Organic work ok considering the weight of the thing ? As I said hate squealing 🙄 Guide REs which use Code callipers just to confuse matters which I believe is your A5 pad ?

spooky_b329

I used superstar and disco pads for years. But then I bought a secondhand bike that came with Shimano pads, they have lasted absolutely ages and I suspect are no more expensive in the long run 🙂

DickBarton

Are you comparing like-for-like with the pads?

sv

Ignoring the bad batch that literally fell apart there Neil?

nuke

Ignoring the bad batch that literally fell apart there Neil?

Yay, a chance to yet again rake up the pads issue after years & years & years…well done you 🙄

spooky_b329

I don’t really understand why Neil has weighed in on a post that was positive. But as you did, do you honestly offer a 45 day ‘no questions’ return process when you’ve already attributed every single problem to user error?

I’ve had many superstar pads fall off the backing plate on bikes that are used irregularly. I didn’t complain as they are cheap, but they don’t last on a bike that gets wet and muddy a few times and then put away for a month.

Jordan

I’m looking at their fitment chart and can’t see any pads to fit shimano XT BR-M8000. Does anyone know if one of the others are the same pads?

superstarcomponents
    Free Member

Spooky. We offer 45 days NO QUESTIONS ASKED. We will offer advice if it’s obviously nothing to do with the pads but that doesn’t affect our offer. We can offer that as we get so few actual issues or returns.

As for them falling off I can’t comment on things I haven’t seen. All the pads fly through CEN testing including delamination and salt spray testing. There’s normally a reason for it other than pads. Ironically they are also the same pads some of the worlds largest OEMs sell (and people say are clearly much better than our pads)

Over a decade ago there was a bad batch which we pulled and contacted all customers to return for a refund. It was about 100 packs in the wild. Yet 12 years later people sagely say all our pads are still faulty. May I note I know of at least 3 brands who sold the same bad pads and didn’t bother recalling them, just sold them through. Strange that is never mentioned.

It’s entertained me for years to see how deep a lot of people suck up marketing, yet I know who makes for who and what is the exact same product. Yet part A is junk and part B is amazing, yet I know they are exactly the same. Then the same guff gets spouted out again and again.

Grumbles over, stuff to do

Neil SuperstarComponents

wheelsonfire1

Neil,
    Good well reasoned posts, when my BREXIT/COVID stockpile runs out I’ll give your pads a try, I’ve tried lots of different brands. Some are obviously not well made with thick paint that makes fitment difficult and operation sticky, some are inconsistent in their manufacturing. I think one of the reasons I never stocked yours was that they appeared too cheap!

Mowgli
    Free Member

Arrived this morning! Good PSA, thanks. Should be set for the next couple of years now.

kimbers

Mine arrived too, nice!

dlr

Great! Sintered ones the best imo for older Sram 4 pots, only the pukka Sram ones were as good but much more expensive. Tried all the other “cheap” options and nowhere near as good. Order placed for both bikes!

Jordan

@superstarcomponents do you have any to fit shimano XT BR-M8000? I couldn’t see them on the chart but could be being thick.

mesh

I had a similar issue trying to figure out what would fit my slx 4 pots, ended up using this shimano fitment chart for cross reference against the Superstar list(s):

Shimano compatibility chart

damascus
    Free Member

@jordan I think the ssc chart is just out of date. I think the pads for the M785 are the same for the M8000 series which is S5. Ssc haven’t sold pads for 8 years and have just restarted and used the old pad identifier chart. It probably just needs bring upto date.

I’m running M785 calipers so I didn’t check but I’m sure others will confirm if I’m right or wrong.

https://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/sintered-disc-brake-pads.htm

My pads turned up today but no haribo 😢

Jordan

Cheers guys! Sorted, that chart @mesh linked to told me the equivelent ones. @damascus they are indeed S5 Cheers!

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘PSA – Superstar brake pads’ is closed to new replies.