Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • PSA – Police giving out tickets to cyclists on Richmond Hill
  • BigJohn

Then it wouldn't have a saddle below a certain height – unless you used zip-ties. 🙂

joemarshall
    Free Member

Richmond Hill is a pretty stupid shortcut though – it's a super narrow pavement, which makes it slow, it always has people on it, lots of old people & kids, and to make it worse, it doesn't even save you much time going slowly down the pavement compared to whizzing down on the other road, even if you are going to the bridge. Do people just use it because they've never bothered to explore the alternative?

Joe

manitou
    Free Member

I prefer to nip through the hedge at the top of Nightingale lane down across the field/park to the road at the bottom which takes you into Richmond..much more fun.

CountZero

Don't know about cyclists killing/injuring pedestrians, there's been a number of deaths/serious injuries caused by pensioners driving those bl00dy Motability scooters. Whatever, while I do use short sections of footpath to get across some junctions, and in one local instance to bypass a set of traffic lights where I've been nearly hit by cars trying to out accellerate me then turn right across my path on four separate occasions, I don't ride footpaths running alongside roads, unless they're shared use. Even then, I've taken abuse from people who couldn't understand the meaning of the signs with a cycle on, or a large bike icon on the ground. Morons.
    Oh, and Paul Hitchens is a gold-plated c0ck of the highest order. But at least he doesn't seem to discriminate; he seems to loath everyone equally…

naokfreek
    Free Member

Do what you like, if it's wrong, don't get caught, if you do, take it.

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

Its cos the Mobile speed camera is worn out, they have to keep the revenue coming in, so what better innocent cyclists.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Its cos the Mobile speed camera is worn out, they have to keep the revenue coming in, so what better innocent cyclists.

How are they innocent if they've been collared for riding on the pavement?

martinxyz
    Free Member

well you could easily just pop off the kerb (with no helmet) into the path of passing motorcyclists like in the Charge fixie vid and possibly avoid the charges.

willard

Mr. Munqe-chick,

If you managed to get down the local population's primary cause of concern from drug dealing to littering in two years, I'd say you and your force did a damn fine job.

As for cycling on the pavement (technically a footway, as pavement can be used to describe any paved/metalled road surface)… Just say no kids. Unless there are decent jumps on it or it's clear of pedestrians.

I remember once going from Kings Cross to Victoria on my bike. There are some lovely steps on the route I took that made great jumps. Best urban ride of my life!

theflatboy
    Free Member

Unless there are decent jumps on it or it's clear of pedestrians.

both, surely? 🙂

snowslave

So not only does the water taste rubbish in that London and ruin your kettle, you can get nicked for riding on the pavement? + you need to be a millionaire to have any quality of life + the accent is funny.

Run away Dick Whittington, run away….

juan
    Free Member

So not only does the water taste rubbish in that London and ruin your kettle, you can get nicked for riding on the pavement? + you need to be a millionaire to have any quality of life + the accent is funny.

See you'll never would have been able to get away with that with fred around.

snowslave

I know I know. Carpe the day and all that…

miketually
    Free Member

I recall that the law prohibiting bikes on pavements excludes those with a saddle below a certain height.

You recall incorrectly.

The law actually bans carriages from the footway, and later additions/case law defined a bicycle as being a carriage. The original law was written in 1835 IIRC. I don't believe it mentions saddle height or wheel size or any of the other things people assume.

Here're a couple of facts for the "thou shalt not ride on the pavement" crowd:

Total for years 2000 – 2004 (whole of GB):
    Pedestrians killed by cyclist on pavement: 9
    Pedestrians killed by motor vehicle on pavement: 3885

perks

just don't do it – it makes other road users AND pedestrians annoyed with cyclists – we'd be annoyed (and often are) with pedestrians who just wander into the road in front of cyclists – it's annoying and dangerous.

seriously – why even bother quoting statistics etc. when you know it is WRONG!!!!

see..annoyed enough to post a thread.

red light jumpers, pavement riders, especially those with good bikes/kit need to sort their lives out – you should know better and/or leave earlier in the day or use lights as interval training.

so annoying.

(daily 8 mile commute accross central london experience)

G
    Free Member

Here're a couple of facts for the "thou shalt not ride on the pavement" crowd:

Total for years 2000 – 2004 (whole of GB):

So start a campaign to make it legal FFS!

Just please don't take it upon yourself to get me tarred with the same brush. You pavement riders are not romantic heros, you are frankly stupid, inconsiderate and unable to appreciate the consequences of your actions.

elliptic
    Free Member

Probably fair to assume that all the cyclists were on the pavement intentionally, but most of the motor vehicles weren't.

atlaz
    Free Member

Got to agree, saying "But cyclists kill less people on pavements" is hardly a defence of the activity. Not a single one of those 9 or 3885 deaths is acceptable.

If you can honestly say that saving minutes on a ride is worth risking seriously hurting someone then you need to take a bit of time to think about priorities, the same way as motorists who put cyclists lives at risk by dangerous driving. You're no different.

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘PSA – Police giving out tickets to cyclists on Richmond Hill’ is closed to new replies.