Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • PSA: Meteors this weekend
  • druidh
    Free Member

The Geminids are on this weekend and it promises to be a good show as there's little interference form moon light. If you can get away from any low-lying fog patches and from street lighting, they're predicting a peak of 100 per hour. Best time should be Sunday night/Monday morning, but Sat/Sun should be good too.

doug_basqueMTB.com

druidh, is this all over the country?? I'm just back in Scotland so will definitely head out to see them. Night ride anyone???

doug_basqueMTB.com

Just googled. All over the country indeed. Cheers for the heads-up.

druidh
    Free Member

All over the woooorld man – all over the wooooorld

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

What directio are they coming from? they usually centre in one area

Ta BTW

druidh
    Free Member

Dunt really matter, but..

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ta – up and left of Orion. I'll have a look tonight

Spongebob
    Free Member

Sorry druidh, you need to factor in tht we're not all astronomy literate. Looking up in which direction?

druidh
    Free Member

Up will do fine. There's no need to be looking at the radiant as they'll be all over the sky. In fact, the best ones tend to be some distance from the radiant. But TJ is right. Find Orions belt – the three bright stars in the South, look up and left to the two bright stars in Gemini (Castor and Pollux).

dulcificum
    Free Member

Gonna head out into the sticks to have a looksie tonight.

fbk
    Free Member

Cool – thanks for that Druidh. I'll try and remember to have a look tonight

jedi

love it 🙂

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Bloody hell – don't give technical directions to this lot – they'll only Pollux it up…

IGMC 😳

MrNutt
    Free Member

nice one!

Bullet

Druidh – you're a star!

IGMC x 2

seven
    Free Member

damn though you meant these Meteors

Now that would have been fun

matt_outandabout

Whoop. excuse for a night walk/ride/paddle

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Good chance to see the International Space Station zoom past in the next few days too

Details of when, where & for how long here
    http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/cities/region.cgi?country=United_Kingdom&region=England

MrNutt
    Free Member
    CountZero

Lol at muddydwarf. Wish I'd thought of that one. That star map is nice and clear, Orion is one of the most easily identified winter consellations, so just look at that and you'll start to see meteors pretty easily. Really, just look due east and up a bit.
    [edit] Just had a look at Star Walk on my phone, and there's also the Monocerotids occuring from nearly the same place, roughly between Gemini and Orion, and down a bit. They're between late November and mid December, so they should add a bit more to the show.

Ticklinjock

Just popped out for a look and saw a couple of shooting stars – each was over in a couple of seconds. But its freezing out, so came back in quickly. Should be a good show if it peaks later.

bassspine
    Free Member

My turn! Saw a couple, one right out of the middle of Gemini. I'll have another shot tomorrow. Brrrrrr, back to the woodburner.

Surfr
    Free Member

Just saw the best one I've ever seen. Short in length and underneath Orion, coming from direction of Gemini and went down to horizon. VERY clear and was moving relatively slowly. Fantastic tail on it and it had a green hue to it. Beautiful. Feinter activity spotted closer to Gemini but nothing as clear as this!

druidh
    Free Member

The fog has disappeared and I've managed to spot a few from the comfort and warmth of the house 🙂

Ambrose

Too cloudy here at the moment 🙁

walla24
    Free Member

popped out to yonder hill, saw a few short trails…nothing like watching them in the desert though….turn off your lights people! 😀

TN
    Free Member

It's clouded over here in Sheffield. Typical. Same for the Leonids back in Aug-ish. Bah… Sounds pretty.

PJ266
    Free Member

Im now freezing and my neck hurts a bit, nice and clear here in Aberystwyth. Saw quite a few!

Surfr
    Free Member

PJ266 yup just been out the back in Penrhyncoch and saw a few. Might hed to Nant-yr-Arian tomorrow night for a proper dark watch

PJ266
    Free Member

😀

I was tempted to jump in the car and pop out there too.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Must admit, I clicked on it expecting tour dates of another early 80s reunion.
    meteors

CountZero

Sadly clouded over here in North Wilts. Buggerit!

druidh
    Free Member

Bump for this evening. Looking a wee bit overcast here. Hope it clears later

MrNutt
    Free Member

fingers crossed the cloud will **** off!

thegreatape
    Free Member

Went up to Spean Bridge just after ten last night, saw some absolute belters. Thanks for the heads up!

speaker2animals

I'm pretty sure I spotted one in daylight yesterday. Didn't know we were in the middle of a 'storm' so thought I was seeing things. Vert brief and VERY fast. Definately not a plane. Glad I'm not seeing things!

Rich
    Free Member

Checked a few times but just too much cloud here in Stafford. 🙁

MrNutt
    Free Member

just cloud and an evening spent driving to all the highest points in wilts and OX!! pfft!!!

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

Hi Speaker2animals.

I've twice seem metetors in broad daylight. Once whilst on holiday in Spain, and another time looking East over the sea near Edinburgh.
    They do happen – I guess when they are visible in full daylight, they are pretty big!

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Meteors this weekend’ is closed to new replies.