• This topic has 36 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Muke.
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • PSA Magnum Plus Armoured lock was £45.99 now £5
  • wukfit
    Free Member

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/accessories/locks/magnum-plus-armoured-cable-bike-lock-110cm
    Sold secure silver, lifetime warranty, £1200 anti-theft guarantee offer

EDIT: Just read the reviews

wolfenstein
    Free Member

yahoo! cheers OP, need to travel 12miles though nothing left in my local Halfords

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Wowzers! 😯

allthepies
    Free Member

As above, read the reviews before ordering!

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Re. The reviews – the first few are bad (terrible actually) but they have maybe been unlucky?

Good deteriant in my book for £5!

eemy
    Free Member

Or alternatively MasterLock on ebay through JEJames outlet for £4.99 plus postage

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251477814981?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT%5DMasterLock%5B/url%5D

nickjb
    Free Member

Have this lock on my commuter. It a bit ratty so not a thief magnet but it’s been left outside daily for several years in the city centre. Seems solid enough. I’d buy another but none near me.

Kato

Cheers! Can’t argue with £5!

Northwind

Cables are all pish, but for minimal protection at a minimal price that’s good.

granny_ring

Thanks OP reserved a couple, there’s also an Abus U lock for a fiver too.

rascal
    Free Member

I picked one up tonight.
    Seem very good – solid, lots of keys.
    Reviews are mixed but if it’s not your sole lock and used to double-up I reckon it’s ok.
    Mine’s being used to lock 2 bikes along with 2 D locks and a chain/ground anchor combo.
    Just another layer of hassle for some would-be scumbag.

poah
    Free Member

I got a couple of On-Guard Brute STD-8001 locks recently. 16mm shackle, gets good reviews and last only a couple of seconds less as a krypto newyork 16mm shackle when attacked with a grinder. paid £20 each

tonyplym
    Free Member

Thanks OP – Abus D for a fiver is now awaiting my collection.

mcnultycop

I’ve ordered two to collect. Only an extra level of security for bikes in the house but at a fiver each I won’t argue. Cheers OP.

tmb467
    Free Member

Nice one. Picked mine up and it looks good

Only Sold Secure Silver but looks hefty enough as a deterrent at work

robdob
    Free Member

There’s a load of Knog stuff going cheap too from £1

Although don’t try looking anywhere near Huddersfield for them. 😉

Nobby

Thanks OP, needed a ‘silver’ rated lock to keep insurers happy.

hora
    Free Member

Whats the point? Anything on Halfords doesn’t exist. Everytime I’ve bought/reserved I’ve received a ‘sorry problem with getting stock from supplier’.

stumpy01

hora – Member

Whats the point? Anything on Halfords doesn’t exist. Everytime I’ve bought/reserved I’ve received a ‘sorry problem with getting stock from supplier’.

I’ve always managed to get the cheap bits that have popped up on here from Halfords – apart from this one. Nowhere near me with stock of that Abus D Lock. Was gonna buy two of the buggers.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I love this place some times there is an element of pound land shopping going on . I know its crap but i accept its crap because its only a quid. Any bad reviewers must just have been bad luck!

robdob
    Free Member

Hora, you just gotta keep trying. I’ve just bought a £50 Abus u-lock for £5 from the Halifax store.

robdob
    Free Member

And I’m going to the Dewsbury and Hudds stores today too. 😀

retro83
    Free Member

Don’t waste your 5 quid unless you just want it for a visual deterrent.

My road bike was stolen with one of these on it. Took seconds unfortunately I don’t know if they cut it, forced the lock mechanism or what, as that was out of sight line of the camera.

Edit: it was sold secure gold as well when I bought it. Wonder if the grading has changed or they’ve made the lock worse.

robdob
    Free Member

All locks can be cut in seconds. Some take more seconds than others but if they want your bike and they are a pro they’ll have it.

retro83
    Free Member

robdob – Member

All locks can be cut in seconds. Some take more seconds than others but if they want your bike and they are a pro they’ll have it.

Well okay, all I’m saying is not to rely on it for any kind of security as I reckon a dropping a strong smelling fart in the thief’s general direction would have slowed him down more than this lock did.

granny_ring

Collected my locks today and I also got the last Bell lid that was in the PSA a couple of weeks ago.
    Cheers again OPs!

Nobby

Just picked mine up & it seems decent enough. As has been said, no lock is thief proof – the only bike I’ve had stolen had a Kryptonite NY and an Abus Granit on it.

The reviews seem to reflect a reality that a good, well equipped bike theif can’t be stopped with this lock but an opportunist scumbag doesn’t stand much chance.

As a bonus, they had High Five ‘race packs’ on offer at £2 each – bought the last 4 which should keep me in gels etc for the rest of the year 🙂

steel4real
    Free Member

Good PSA but none left in Halifax store or close by 🙁

I think robdob has cleared them out 👿

Stock showing in chesterfield, Northwich & St. Helens as closest !

robdob
    Free Member

Just picked up a Catlike Leaf helmet from the Huddersfield store for £20! The guy in there recognised me as a regular and let me know about them, brought them from the warehouse.

I haven’t bought any of the original OP’s lock. If anyone is prepared to go to keighley there is one reserved there and I can email you the details if you want to pop over – I didn’t go there today as I ran out of time.

steel4real
    Free Member

Nice one & thank you for the email but I can’t really get to the Keighley store.

Happy trails !

exupmonkey
    Free Member

Picked one up today from Braehead. ‘Pish’ or no, can’t argue with a fiver! Nice one OP, thanks.

Northwind

robdob – Member

Sure, but’s more about the kit than time- you can cut my big motorbike lock in seconds with hydraulics, bit longer with a plasma cutter or grinder, but that’s a lot more bother to the thief than snipping a cable with a £10 cable cutter that you can hide under your jacket. (or in the case of my brother’s excellent tesco cable lock, a pair of quality kitchen scissors)

A lot of it’s like swimming with sharks… As long as there’s a a bunch of bikes locked up with cables, croppable chains etc, a lot of thieves won’t bother breaking a strong lock, even though they could.

strike
    Free Member

Thanks for the PSA, wukfit – got myself one of these lcoks on Friday.

robdob
    Free Member

Might be one available in the Keighley store as I didn’t pick mine up.

Muke
    Free Member

Sold Secure Gold £9.99 atm….

Asaklitt Shackle Lock

Edit: 😕 Some of the foreign reviews say it jams up if left out in the weather

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Asa Klitt? 😆

Muke
    Free Member

Hey stop sniggering at the back 😀

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘PSA Magnum Plus Armoured lock was £45.99 now £5’ is closed to new replies.