Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 441 total)
  • PSA: iPhone 5 Annoucement Today
  • Kryton57

AlexSimon – Member
    Basically I’m out of contract on my iPhone 4.
    Went from paying £35/m to £11/m

To go to an iPhone 5, would mean going back to £35/m for 18months.
    It doesn’t seem worth it.

But then neither do any of the Android phones.

Hooray! I’m not the only one (£17pm in my case)….

Solo
    Free Member

£529 sim free

ROFLMFAO ! 😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Question

– Any reason not to switch to Orange/EvEv and get nice fast 4g?

Will there be enough 4g where you live?
    The battery will die quicker if your switching in and out of 4g all the time.
    Do you need it?
    I can get faster data on my phone than my broadband some days but can’t afford to use too much of it!!

Jamie
    Free Member

Solo:
    £529 sim free

ROFLMFAO !

Yes. Numbers are funny, Solo.

scuzz
    Free Member

“It’s not open vs closed, it’s ‘fragmented’ vs ‘integrated’!”
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTTSsB92L_s&feature=player_embedded#![/video]
    Do be do…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Have we got a SIM free price for the 64gb yet?

I’m just going to look at all the options and see which is cheapest over 2 years and sim free might suit me….

Dobbo

Scuzz Vid:

Don’t listen to Woz he’s crazy.

😆

AlexSimon

Solo – Member

£529 sim free

ROFLMFAO !
    Is this totally out of line with the Android line-up then?
    I’ve been out of the Android loop for a couple of years.

Which is the Android phone with best camera (equal to the 4S in terms of overall image quality, not megapixels)?

mcboo
    Free Member

Will there be enough 4g where you live?

London?

hopster
    Free Member

Explain wireless charging to me: you spend an extra £50(?) buying a “magical mat” which charges inefficiently, but saves you the sub-2 seconds it takes to plug in a phone.

Or you’re in a bar or cafe and you put your phone down on the table and it tops up the battery. No wires no looking for socket. Seems like a great idea to me.

Oh an yet another new connector that doesn’t fit any of your old devices. Great I’ll buy an adaptor but why the hell should you. Bloody give it to you free or at cost price not $25.

Apple make the biggest margin on their products than any other brand yet they give nothing back to the customer.

And to top it off.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Any reason not to switch to Orange/EvEv and get nice fast 4g?

One opionon on should you go 4g
    maps and info
    But really will you get enough data to make it worth using it so quickly?
    Would you start watching iplayer while at work or in the park?

Explain wireless charging to me: you spend an extra £50(?) buying a “magical mat” which charges inefficiently, but saves you the sub-2 seconds it takes to plug in a phone.

Wireless charging appeals, would be nice in the car just route cable once and thats it. Would consider it on the desk. Probably link it up with some of the NFC TecTiles. Would make it great as a mobile media device. Anyway whats 50quid when you don’t need to buy cables and dock adapters.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

ROFLMFAO !

Jimmers, let’s discuss this on twitter. It’ll have to be #DMSHOCKA though.

Kryton57

One opionon on should you go 4g
    maps and info
    But really will you get enough data to make it worth using it so quickly?
    Would you start watching iplayer while at work or in the park?

This is key to me, especiially with Wii available at home & work – who needs 4G in the middle bit of the day?

Just phoned my local t Mobile shop incidently. 4S is free handset £36 a month, no discounts. Couldn’t (wont) comment on 5 but he said if I assume the upper echelons of the iOS price plans were the same and expected to pay for the handset I’d be in the right ballpark. So thats an estimated minimum of £36pm + handset cost at its maximum, up to £61pm with a lower handset cost.

Jeez.

AlexSimon

4G would be great for doing proper work on the move.
    But that’s not with a phone.
    And it’s not really London.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

As before they don’t need to try 🙂 Why bother with good deals if people will buy anyway.

I think you can get an S3 free for 40/month and I’m paying less than that here in Oz

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Well the kudos of owning the latest iPone has finally come to an end.

ha! It would appear so. Maybe the idiots will be less annoying now?

GrahamS

> Oh and bloody expensive.
    > £529 sim free.. ROFLMFAO !
    Is this totally out of line with the Android line-up then?

The Samsung Galaxy S3 is £499 sim-free. £30 difference. So the price doesn’t seem hugely out of line to me.

This might be of interest for those wish to compare hardware willies:
    http://www.itproportal.com/2012/09/12/iphone-5-vs-galaxy-s3-spec-comparison/
    (just to show I’m not blinkered it does favour the S3 overall).

Ultimately, It will be an app that dictates an upgrade. Maybe a camera-related one.

Well the new camera sounds better on paper – be interesting to see how noticeable an improvement it is over the the 4s.

New phones are reaching that stage too.

Agreed. There is a lot less room for ground-breaking revolution now.
    Especially at the prices people are prepared to pay.

Or you’re in a bar or cafe and you put your phone down on the table and it tops up the battery. No wires no looking for socket. Seems like a great idea to me.

That sounds cool – but I don’t really drink in the kind of bars that turn all their tables into wireless mobile phone stealing charging points. That doesn’t sound like the kind of bar where a man can get a good pint of real ale and some pork scratchings. 😆

GrahamS

ha! It would appear so. Maybe the idiots will be less annoying now?

Nah they’ll still harp on about Android

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I’ve noticed buying the iphone outright always seems similar to high-end Android phones, but for some reason the contract deals always have a much higher up-front cost for the iphone?

trail_rat
    Free Member

as per last few apple updates i have not seen anything to tempt me away from my current models iphone 4 and ipad 2

Ipad 3 was nothing special and the iphone 5 is nothing special.

guess thats good for my bank balance – only reason i can see to change now is that my current kits still worth good $$$$ but then it probably will still fetch $$$ in another year or 2 time if they release something worth upgrading too

GrahamS

Ipad 3 was nothing special

Apart from, you know, doubling the screen resolution to a level never seen before in tablets.

alfabus
    Free Member

Not sure if this has been posted already, but the prices are up on the apple store:

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone/compare

16GB – £529
    32GB – £599
    64GB – £699

Dave

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Ipad 3 was nothing special
    Apart from, you know, doubling the screen resolution to a level never seen before in tablets.

Thats only useful if you want/need/can use double the resolution.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“but for some reason the contract deals always have a much higher up-front cost for the iphone? “

alot of people buying the iphone on contract for the pose factor who couldnt otherwise afford it – for example go to any university campus , when i was a student i couldnt have dreamed have affording an iphone…… easily availible when you break it down to x a month ….. much like when some of my student friends appeared in brand new cars when cheap credit was availible on 6grand cars.

when i did the maths buying my iphone 4 32gb , buying outright worked out 200 quid cheaper over 24months of the comparible contract to what i get at the moment.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Maybe the idiots will be less annoying now?

🙄

Oh the ironing!

GrahamS

Thats only useful if you want/need/can use double the resolution.

True, blind and partially-sighted users should probably stick with an iPad 2. 🙄

GrahamS

, buying outright worked out 200 quid cheaper over 24months of the comparible contract to what i get at the moment.

Always check your contract terms (for any phone). Many allow you to move to a different tariff after a set period, typically 12 months. If you do that then contract can work out cheaper or at least very similar to buying out right.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve noticed buying the iphone outright always seems similar to high-end Android phones, but for some reason the contract deals always have a much higher up-front cost for the iphone?

It’s very true. The thing is though, 18-24 months later, will the android phone fetch a decent used price?
    I paid £120 on contract for my iP3g and got £180 for it when I sold it after 18 months
    I paid £310 IIRC for my iP4 and I’m expecting £250 for it very soon.

To me, because I’m careful with my phones, the price on contract is almost self financing… 🙂

jfletch
    Free Member

To me, because I’m careful with my phones, the price on contract is almost self financing…

True, but it’s even more self financing if you go sim free.

Bascially over the 24 months of a contract the iPhone 5 + calls, texts and data will cost a minimum of £1k

A sim free phone + an equivalent contract for contract for calls, texts and data will be <£900, significantly less if you don’t need lots of inclusive minutes.

You can still sell the phone when you are done with it for the same price and if you get upgrade fever its even easier to go early but get more resale for the old phone.

Unless you don’t have £500 available I can’t see why people would ever get the phone linked to a contract. If you don’t have £500 in cash available you have to question the wisdom of having a top of the range phone there always interest free credit cards!

jam-bo

I can’t see why people would ever get the phone linked to a contract

I put my phone contract through expenses.
    I wouldn’t be able to put through a £500 phone purchase…

jfletch
    Free Member

I put my phone contract through expenses.
    I wouldn’t be able to put through a £500 phone purchase…

Well that is obviously a very good reason!

For the rest of us my point stands.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Well hopefully one of you guys can sell my mrs a cheap excellent condition iPhone 4/4s as her 3GS is showing its age.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I can’t see why people would ever get the phone linked to a contract

Contract deal was worth having. Cheaper than buying outright and can change contract if needed. (Not UK deal though)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

, but it’s even more self financing if you go sim free.

Indeed. Which is why I was looking for the sim free prices. I’ll do some sums once the contract prices are out.

Who’s good for sim only deals? Not too bothered about lots of minutes and texts but I need 1gb data/month at least, preferably 2gb

ohnohesback
    Free Member

But does it do Flash?

jam-bo

But does it do Flash?

about as well as android does now.

kelvin

4G will be great in laptops… no need for phones I agree.

As for this phone… glad it’s still/more handset shaped*, but that’s about my only opinion on it.

*ie ear and mouth ends further apart

jambalaya
    Free Member

Pricing.

It’s supply and demand at work – Apple is selling the phones as fast as it can make them. Samsung is “slashing” the price of it’s phones as that’s the way it can maintain/increase demand. Reports suugest 51m iPhones will be sold before Christmas vs 20m Samsungs. Seems to me Apple’s pricing is OK ?

I upgraded to a 4S recently – £25 a month – a bargain IMO

Flash.

I don’t miss it, in fact no flash means less ads so that’s a benefit of Apple over rivals.

GrahamS

4G will be great in laptops… no need for phones I agree.

But most (all?) smartphones these days can act as mobile hotspots – so 4G in phone = 4G for laptop, tablet or any other wifi/bluetooth device in range.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

about as well as android does now.

Android still does flash well. It’s not in the store but still with adobe. It’s still there for legacy apps. Which is A good idea much better than just deleting it.

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 441 total)

The topic ‘PSA: iPhone 5 Annoucement Today’ is closed to new replies.