Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 169 total)
  • PSA Hayes dominion A4 brakes £95
    noeffsgiven
    Free Member

At chainreaction when using promo code SAVE

bikecurious
    Free Member

I’m only seeing A2’s. A4’s out of stock.

bornonaboat

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/hayes-dominion-a4-disc-brake/rp-prod214730

Bargain price, just be aware that they don’t come with the usual spare pads and the olive is already fitted to the hose.

noeffsgiven
    Free Member

Cheers bornonaboat, god knows how bc missed that one, both front and rear in stock.

blastit
    Free Member

Can only get them down to 107 . applied code . Have they gone up ?? Still a bargain .

noeffsgiven
    Free Member

Still £94.99 when I do it. Based in the UK.

Big-Bud
    Free Member

@blastit the deal using the code save is saving you £25 off orders above £100 meaning to get them for £95 simply order the brakes individually ie 2 separate orders

bikesandboots

Bargain price, just be aware that they don’t come with the usual spare pads and the olive is already fitted to the hose.

IIRC the retail ones came assembled, with spare olive, spare nut, semi-sintered pads installed, spare sintered pads, pad spacer, and combined bleed block / piston exercise tool.

honourablegeorge

Can you cut the olive out and reuse? Or already compressed?

Will a generic olive and barb work?

doomanic

Where do these fall in the 4 pot hierarchy?

I’ve currently got the choice of Code Rs or SLX.

hainman
    Free Member

I’ve heard these are really good brakes
    I’m tempted to buy and swap out for my Saints

blastit
    Free Member

Thanks bigbud that works but I’ve ordered at 107 I suppose I could send back

bikesandboots

Where do these fall in the 4 pot hierarchy?

They are Trickstuff Direttissima and Hope Tech4 V4 territory. Above all SRAM, Shimano, Formula, Magura, and TRP.

stompy

I just ordered…… 118€ and end delivered to Croatia with the ‘SAVE’ code.

Had to order separately for the code to work on each brake….

arogers
    Free Member

They are Trickstuff Direttissima and Hope Tech4 V4 territory. Above all SRAM, Shimano, Formula, Magura, and TRP.

I haven’t tried Formula or Magura but have owned all the rest, plus Hope tech3 V4, and agree Hayes are another level.

darksideby182

I have these on my hard tail and have to agree that they are really good especially at this price. Super powerful and with good modulation/feeling.

mactheknife

OP, that’s an awesome spor there. Been wanting a set of these for a good while. £95 each end is a steal.

Ordered!!

doomanic

Ordered on Sunday evening, arrived today.

The rear brake line is 1800mm long and connected to the caliper and plugged at the lever end. The lever assembly is supplied loose.

honourablegeorge

@doomanic – that means an olive is not needed?

travo
    Free Member

These are easily my favourite brakes, been running them for awhile now and they’re faultless….
    BUT, trying to source spare parts is almost impossible, hotlines the importer is no use and will try to sell you lifeline hose kits which are a smaller bore than the original and not recommened by Hayes, I actually managed to get Hayes europe to send me an original hose kit but if I need another it maybe a struggle.
    Also, trying to find spare olives and inserts (these use the newer 2 piece ones) is virtually impossible. the ebay sourced 1 piece ones are too small a diameter and will leak.

Saying all that though, I have just ordered 2 new rear sets (the levers arent front/rear specific) for spares as I can’t see me running any other brake now….

noeffsgiven
    Free Member

Could be wrong but don’t TRP have the same bore size.

blastit
    Free Member

So mine arrived very nice but you need 5.5mm olive to fit as they stand which is not included. The rear is supplied front fully assembled ,rear has the lever loose and plugged. They have a insert in the end of rear brake . So you need to remove plug on lever to get hose screw thing off and a 5.5mm olive to fit.
    Hoses are pretty long so I need to trim down a bit. The olives that are fitted to the hose end are a olive insert in one so I’ve ordered some of eBay and will update when they arrive on whether they fit.
    I did try some sram fittings but the olives are too small and so are they inserts.
    Hayes olive

doomanic

I ordered the eBay olives, but haven’t checked to see if there is an olive in the lever.

doomanic

If it needs a different olive to the eBay ones I’ll be getting on the phone to CRC. The web page mentions non-retail packaging but doesn’t say anything is missing to make the brakes work.

big_scot_nanny

I’ve been running Hayes on 2 bikes for a couple of years now. utterly fabulous.

Couple of things from experience

1) Pretty much fit a forget, bleeding is simple and I’ve only had to do it when disconnecting caliper or lever. The 2 port thing in the caliper is very satisfying for a ‘complete bleed’ confidence.

2) Hayes sintered pads are better than organic. However Galfer green, with 2mm wave discs, take things into a whole other stratosphere.

3) re. olives/barbs are indeed different to Shimano/sram – Hayes Olive these work

4) Also, cables are different thickness so the brake hose compression nut from other systems is too narrow. Or, as I found that can be easier, a Shimano cable/banjo works just fine with the Hayes banjo bolt and Hayes lever end fixings.

• Shimano (BH90) + Avid + Formula + Sram:
      • ID: 2.1mm , OD: 5mm
    • Shimano (BH59) + Magura MT:
      • ID: 2.3mm , OD: 5mm
    • Tektro/Hayes/Promax:
      • ID: 2.5mm, OD: 5.4-5.5mm
    johnjn2000

I was always under the impression Hayes were the lower quality option for brakes after the usual suspects but this thread has me almost buying some. I don’t need them so I am holding back but I also noticed that Rachel Atherton is using Hayes as well now so they can’t be bad at all.

noeffsgiven
    Free Member

Not just Rachel but all the team as well as Devinci, Orange, Lewis Buchanan and Brendog, to name but a few.

johnjn2000

Not just Rachel but all the team as well as Devinci, Orange, Lewis Buchanan and Brendog, to name but a few.

Wish I had researched these before I bought my 2nd set of Hopes now.

bikesandboots

About the hose outer diameter being 5.5mm, I found it didn’t fit into the clamp on my 2021 Pike. Had to cable tie it to the clamp. North Shore Billet do an alternative clamp but it’s expensive.

Might be an issue for internal routing on some frames too.

these use the newer 2 piece ones) is virtually impossible. the ebay sourced 1 piece ones are too small a diameter and will leak.

I have these ELVEDES ELV-HY02 as spares: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184867257143

Aside from being 1 piece, they’re exactly the same as the spares that came in the box, on all dimensions I can imagine taking with my digital calipers.

doomanic

Those are the ones I bought, but I can’t see there not being an olive in the master cylinder.

doomanic

Possibly a silly question, but I assume I can’t use the Sram hose that’s currently on the bike? Saves feeding a new hose through.

big_scot_nanny

Possibly a silly question, but I assume I can’t use the Sram hose that’s currently on the bike? Saves feeding a new hose through.

The only issue may at the banjo end. As mentioned Shimano banjo was fine (but note I used ‘virgin’ hoses, so no mineral/dot mixing), but not sure about the SRAM one.

blastit
    Free Member

Ref not fitting into hose clamp, might be worth running a 5.5mm drill to open it up a bit.
    If you use a sram hose will the fittings be OK when going onto caliper and lever ??

nixie

Those that need olives does anyone know if a tektro olive will work? I see above it’s listed as the same hose size. I have a stack of those and inserts from when I had a set of giant contact brakes that I’d happily post to people.

big_scot_nanny

Doing a quick google, it certainly doesn’t look the same, so it’s no from me.

nixie

👍 I didn’t get that far last night just noted the size. Yes looks quite different.

bornonaboat

It’s a no to tektro olives. Hope can be used at a push in my experience.

nicholas_yiu

Thanks for the PSA, just ordered a pair. These went up to £130 now so at £105 each end with the £25 off. Still a really good deal.

I have a pair of Codes which I’m struggling with consistency. They seem to give me a different level of power every time I use them. I cleaned/lubed the pistons, full fluid flush and bleed. That improved things but although I like the power, they are still not as consistent as the Shimano on my other bike.

Reading up the reviews, the Dominion A4 should be a big improvement. Can’t wait to try them out.

One thing I am struggling with is shifter / dropper lever matchmakers. Hayes only do a RH one for shifter. Seems like the only way to get it is to import from Germany / US which make the cost a little ridiculous at around £40. I’ve got some old matchmakers from a set of Avid which don’t look very different so will give them a go. The internet says Magura matchmakers works so I’m hoping the Avid ones work as well.

travo
    Free Member

I’ve got the Hayes matchmakers and only use one on the left side for my dropper, I’ve found I need to run the brakes a bit closer to the grips than the codes/hope/shimano I’ve used in the past, the Hayes matchmaker then puts the shifter too close to my thumb when riding. (all personal preferance obviously)
    I settled on using a sram discreet clamp for my shifter, I’d prefer it all to be on the same clamp but have been running it like that for a awhile now and cant really say it bothers me.

The other thing with the Hayes matchmakers is they come in a gloss finish (I guess to match the original A4 brakes) but the lever is a matt finish, so may be an issue if asthetics are your thing, the gloss finish also chips off very easily!

Oh and a few other things, the 2 sets or dominions I’ve got, both had rattly pads, I fixed this by bending the pad spring clips out a bit more and putting a tiny amount of copper grease on the edges of the pad backing plates (obviously be very careful not to get any on the pad material/rotors)

Also, sram 20mm adaptors dont work with the dominion calipers, unless you take a file to them, magura and hope do though..

And lastly, they’re designed to work with thicker rotors than the usual sram/shimano stuff, I use Sram HS2 rotors and they work really well, they did work with the older style srams but the lever throw is a bit more.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 169 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.