Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • PSA for all you climbers…’Free Solo’
  • choppersquad
    Free Member

‘Free solo’ next Thursday 9pm on Channel 4.
    Trailer looks good even though I’ve never climbed in my life.

flyingmonkeycorps

It’s really good. The Dawn Wall on Amazon / Netflix (can’t remember which) makes a nice companion piece too.

trademark
    Free Member

Both on Netflix, watch Valley Uprising first, The Dawn Wall second then Free Solo.
    Each is a film in its own right but they kinda go through the generations in that order.

slowoldman

I should think I’ll need to get the old chalk bag out so I don’t drop my wine glass.

tillydog
    Free Member

Prize for the first person who doesn’t feel like strangling AH’s girlfiend half way through Free Solo.

cookeaa

Really? Me and the missus paid for it on amazon not so long ago…

TBH the dawn wall was better IMO.

I’m not a climber by the way, but I do like a good climbing doc.

regenesis
    Free Member

Prize for the first person who doesn’t feel like strangling AH’s girlfiend half way through Free Solo.

Does she like a bit of breath play then?

spawnofyorkshire

Wow that’s harsh. She’s having to deal with her partner doggedly prepare for an activity that could easily kill him. I’m sure that was really easy for her 🙄

tillydog
    Free Member

So are you claiming the prize?

P20

Great film and I’m a non climber. Agree with the suggestions for Dawn Wall and Valley Uprising 👍🏻

avdave2

Both on Netflix, watch Valley Uprising first, The Dawn Wall second then Free Solo.

+1, I of course watched them in the wrong order

blakec
    Free Member

Wow that’s harsh. She’s having to deal with her partner doggedly prepare for an activity that could easily kill him. I’m sure that was really easy for her 🙄

For me it’s the way she fell for the climber then went about trying to stop him being a climber she was trying to change what he is.

I get why she is doing it and I’m sure the film was edited in a certain way to make it look worse. But I felt at the end she was more happy that she thought she had got her way rather than what AH had done. (Rubbish sentence to try and not make a spoiler in case there is someone that didn’t know what happened.)

tillydog
    Free Member

On film suggestions: Have a look for “A line across the sky” (the 40 minute version) – I think it was available on Vimeo – well worth a few ££

spawnofyorkshire

You can get Line across the sky for free on Redbull TV. Look at the REEL Rock series, i think it’s split across two episodes

Marin
    Free Member

Great film. More about the attributes of a person who can do the climb rather than the climb itself.

tillydog
    Free Member

I’ve just found out that it (Free Solo) is showing in the cinema in Colwyn Bay next Thursday, too.

Was gutted that I’d missed seeing it on the big screen so I may well go along. (And see it on the medium sized screen, at least 😀 )

Mounty_73

I’m not a climber, but watching it gave me very sweaty palms, nail biting stuff!

andykirk
    Free Member

Well if they ever split up I would gladly take on his girlfriend in a heartbeat….

boblo
    Free Member

Ta. Set to record.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Well if they ever split up I would gladly take on his girlfriend in a heartbeat….

He took her to the Oscars. What are you offering.

nbt

Spoilertastic there Eddiebaby 🙂

martinhutch

Meru, by the same film-maker, is on Amazon Prime. Best climbing film I’ve seen by a long way.

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

Total melter that bird.

honeybadgerx

If you like this sort of thing then worth checking out if the Banff mountain film festival is touring near you (or any of the various other ones that now exist). You often end up seeing a mix of stuff you wouldn’t normally watch but there can be some right hidden gems.

metcalt

Bump in case anyone had forgotten. On this evening.

edhornby

Valley uprising has disappeared from Netflix but Dawn wall is still on. Going to watch tonight

linusr

9pm tonight on Channel 4 https://www.channel4.com/programmes/free-solo

Also worth watching is the TED talk that he gave https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iM6M_7wBMc

CountZero

Watching it now – my g/f has gone to bed with a book, she’s refusing to watch it!

lister

I think his girlfriend is pretty amazing. She’s fallen in love with a fairly autistic chap with a penchant for free soloing.
    It’s not a straight forward relationship but she’s there with her eyes open and just hopes it doesn’t go wrong.

CountZero

“There’s a guy there, in a bunny suit! Is that a tail.”
    W.T.A.F?
    I can understand the guy at the bottom with the ‘scope not wanting to watch.

Drac

Sadly Freesat only does C4 in SD so I’ll not watch it as it won’t give it justice.

scruff9252

The trees below him look like carpet pile he is so high. **** that for a day out.

CountZero

I wasn’t at all sure I could watch that climb all the way through, but it was engrossing, and I found I couldn’t not watch it.
    Astonishing feat of climbing, and to do it in what, a shade under four hours?
    Incredible.
    I wouldn’t want to arm-wrestle the guy, I reckon he could rip my arm out and beat me with the bloody end!

athgray
    Free Member

The Dawn Wall is excellent. IMO Kevin Jorgensen is the real hero of the film, and his part in Tommy’s success is massively underplayed.

choppersquad
    Free Member

I have nothing but admiration for anyone who has absolutely no fear of heights or their impending death.
    To all you climberists…… I wholeheartedly salute you.

matt_outandabout

It’s a great film made even more spectacular by viewing on a cinema screen.

salad_dodger

I had to watch it with the volume turned right down as I couldn’t cope with hearing him say “like” every other word.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Spoilertastic there Eddiebaby 🙂

Oops. 🤐
    I thought after all this time and the Oscars and all, that everyone knew the outcome.

DezB
    Free Member

Spoilertastic there Eddiebaby

That would only be a spoiler if they won an Oscar in the film! And that would take some kind of fangled time-travel…

eddiebaby
    Free Member

The Dawn Wall is excellent. IMO Kevin Jorgensen is the real hero of the film, and his part in Tommy’s success is massively underplayed.

Tommy going back when he could have gone on made the film for me. Both did amazing things but I wasn’t expecting it like that. I remember vaguely the excitement in the media when it was happening but I had some major work on and was in a colouring cocoon for a couple of weeks and didn’t really take in any details.
    Love Free Solo for the cinematography and the interplay between the couple. For me Dawn Wall is the more satisfying film.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘PSA for all you climbers…’Free Solo’’ is closed to new replies.