Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • PSA: Any Mech Engineers looking for a job in the Bristol area?
  • bristolbiker
    Free Member

As a counterpoint to the joblesstrackworld posts, my employers are looking to hire another mechanical engineer to do finite element analysis and stress calcs by hand. First degree in a relevant engineering subject is required, higher degree would be an advantage – likewise, experience of Simulia products (Abaqus and Solidworks) and Patran would be an advantage but not essential.

gshort AT eatec DOT co DOT uk – can forward on the further vacancy details if interested.

andyl
    Free Member

Worth sending this to one of the admin staff at Bristol Uni – Aerospace and/or mech eng to email round. I would be interested myself but hoping a to get a new contract approved on some freelance work.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

One step ahead 😉 Almost all of the undergrads are already signed up to graduate programs…. still waiting to hear on any PhD’s finishing soon…..

andyl
    Free Member

I’ve just finished – had my viva in Jan 🙂

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Could send you the overview anyway – call it interview practise if you like 😉

Out of interest, what was your PhD/who supervised? Did my PhD in Mech Eng department at Bristol, with help from the Aero’s….

andyl
    Free Member

PhD was in Nanocomposite coatings to protect composite components in harsh environments. Were you there when the ACCIS group was formed? Am part of that group, getting pretty big now. Whole new front on Queens now (chemistry side) including the basement/structures lab for the group and composites work!

bristolbiker
    Free Member

No, pre ACCIS – though still in composites. I go back in every now and again to see my supervisor/go to conferences/seminars/talk about collaborative research. Also sit on the Industry Advisory Group for the Mech Eng department, so I keep my toe it 😉 Have had a tour of the ACCIS labs as it was being done – looked good even then!!

andyl
    Free Member

Are you getting involved with the NCC or SPark?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Viva?

andyl
    Free Member

Oral exam after a PhD with 2 examiners who pick holes in your thesis and test you on your knowledge and decide if you get a PhD or not.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oh don’t worry, I knows wot it is. But that’s a bloody Vauxhall he’s talking about. 😉

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Are you getting involved with the NCC or SPark?

NCC – maybe, a few irons in the fire to either collaborate, pay for space for client projects…. or maybe even “join the crew” as it were. Peter Chivers, who’s fronting the first phase of NCC, is on the IAB committee, which helps 😉

SPark – one of my commuting routes goes by it, but that’s as far as it goes for the moment…. watching with interest mind.

poppa
    Free Member

Doing FEA by hand doesn’t sound fun to me.

Pigface
    Free Member

You have to have a first?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Any Mech Engineers looking for a job in the Bristol area?’ is closed to new replies.