Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • PS3 death – anyone had this?
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

The machine starts up and I can get to the normal screen, but as soon as I put in a BluRay film or game, the screen goes blank and the only way I can get it back to life is to restart by switching off/on at the back (ie, pressing and holding the PS3 button on the controller doesn’t work, the disk won’t eject etc).

Time for a new one?

bananaworld
    Free Member

Time for a new one?

My landlord’s just got a new one and, having played Wip3out in 3D I feel qualified to say, yes, time for a new one. And a new telly. 😉

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Fat chance of that happening – the washing machine is about to die and my wife’s car has a warning light flashing meaning an £80 trip to the dealers JUST for a diagnostic on it.

🙁

spooky_b329

£80 at the dealers?? Local independent could be better. I read, fixed and cancelled the fault lights on my Punto with a £10 ebay lead, and freeware software on my laptop 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I wouldn’t know where to start with that – but yes, I will be speaking to an independent dealer to get an alternative price.

bananaworld
    Free Member

Maybe you can get a £10 eBay lead and freeware software to diagnose PS3 faults…

Sorry, I’ll shut up now.

mashiehood
    Free Member

did you update to 3.50 a couple of days ago – i did and my controllers have stopped working

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I saw the update but didn’t do it as I was just watching a film and it was fine.

The next night I switched the unit on and the screen came up so I assumed it was the update that was required so I did that and still no luck.

So basically – the update hasn’t caused the problem.

Creg

did you update to 3.50 a couple of days ago – i did and my controllers have stopped working

Same thing happened to me with v3.00

Had to replace my controllers with new ones, very annoying indeed.

mashiehood
    Free Member

argh i am not a happy chap today – cant inflate my tubeless and now the ps3 controller has died.

on top of that i have a shocking cold.

iain1775
    Free Member

3.50 screwed mine up too
    it now doesnt recognise the HDMI outpput half the time I turn it on and I have a blank screen, the rest of the time asks if I want to output in HDMI before going to main screen

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Which PS3 model do you have? There are known issues with the older ones….

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

it’s an original backward compatible 60g one

jon1973
    Free Member

is yours one of the old ones too iain1775?

When was 3.50 update? Not sure which one it was but I had one a few days ago and it doesn’t seem to have caused any problmes, although I don’t use HDMI.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

mastiles_fanylion – both my mates had their original ones die I’m afraid. A well known problem. One got his replaced with for a new one by paying something like 80 quid. The other couldn’t be bothered and just bought a new one.

Call Sony, I’m sure they have options. Total bummer though as you might lose everything on the HD.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

How does that work then Zedsdead?

Zedsdead
    Free Member

I’m sure he called Sony UK? I’d ask him but I’m in India at the moment.

I’ll send him an email but not sure when he’ll get back to me?

Drac

Mates died at the weekend keep switching it off, £130 for Sony to send a reconditioned one as he’s out of warranty. I left him taking it to bits to fix the dry solders that supposedly cause this.

You can take your HD out if your getting a new one, use a HD to USB lead to backup files to PC and the reverse procedure onto new drive.

Do a search on Google and YouTube for your problem though.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I don’t have anything on the HD really so nothing to lose – just a pain. Gonna be an expensive few months coming up 🙁

Drac
    molgrips
    Free Member

Google thoroughly. My PS3 stopped reading discs a while back. I found several possible ways to resolve it, ended up spending something like £50 for a new drive head assembly.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

cheers drac – will try that one

iain1775
    Free Member

is yours one of the old ones too iain1775?

80gb one from just before they bought out the new slimed down version so not one of the old backwards compatible ones, but not the newest either
    seems to be okay again now though

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Well I tried the reset thing last night but that didn’t work.

Just been on to Sony Customer Support and they were very helpful, actually listened and said that they will do an exchange should a few further simple tests prove it is broken (can’t do those till I get home tonight).

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Nice one MF. My mate also said their customer service was very good. Hope it all works out. The new one is half the size of yours and pretty silent in operation too.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

and pretty silent in operation too

That would be a massive bonus – the fan drives me insane when watching movies.

They did say it would be a refurb like-for-like model though so I know I MAY end up with an old one still, but fingers crossed they happen to have a newer one to send me 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Been back on to Sony Support and they went through a hard system reset procedure with me. In the meantime we discussed the exchange policy – I get a refurb unit to same spec for £130 with 3 month guarantee. Not bad for something 2 years out of warranty.

But after leaving it doing its hard reset overnight I got up this morning to a working machine again – it worked ! YEY!

And I was left utterly impressed with Sony Support, helpful, polite, eloquent and friendly. But I do think she was trying to hit on me 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

If you have fan noise then try changing its position. Some appear to have noisier fans than others, but if you can keep the thing cool then the fan runs much more slowly and makes less noise.

Ours is in a cabinet but if you shut the door, the fan gets noisy. Leave the door open and it’s quiet.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Ours is in an open-fronted cabinet and can’t be moved without too much wiring faff.

TBH I can live with it more than I could bear moving everything (and leaving it with easier access to little fingers….)

GW
    Free Member

mastiles – I have an old fat PS3 and a new slim and they are both pretty similar in fan quietness. where you put them and what on makes a huge difference.
    mine both sit freely (plenty air circulation) on shelves under the tellys, the slim is on a glass shelf and the fat is on a homemade shelf covered in cardboard and gaffer tape.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

That’s great news MF! Nice one.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yeah – great news and it has left me feeling really good about the support I received.

Unfortunately our washing machine is on its last legs AND a warning light has come on the dash of my wife’s car. Google says it may mean a £1500 repair job. I doubt I will get anything like the customer service from Zanussi or Mazda. 🙁

Ahh well.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘PS3 death – anyone had this?’ is closed to new replies.