Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Proud father moment – 2 year old at the BMX track on his balance bike!
  • hughjayteens
    Free Member

Took my 2 year old son to the local BMX track at the weekend on his Hotwalk, and he absolutely loved it! His sister has been there a few times since she was 4 and enjoys it, but he is very gung-ho compared with her and just didn’t want to come home. Must have walked up the start ramp straddling his bike maybe 15 times and although he needed a little bit of assistance to get up the big tabletops (they are maybe 8 feet tall and VERY steep near the top – you need a run up to get up them on foot) he was just totally fearless despite a couple of ‘offs’!

Suspect we’ll be spending a bit more time down there come the summer!

[video]http://www.vimeo.com/16906700[/video]

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

cool

Stuey01
    Free Member

He’s a brave lad.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I love this vid of a kid at glentress Yours will be there all too soon
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNDb3OQSPpE[/video]

Diane
    Free Member

🙂

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Not been to Glentress myself yet so maybe that’s next years holiday sorted!

Harry_the_Spider

Fantastic stuff. Watching my lad on his balance bike is one of the highlights of being a dad.

wwaswas

That’s cool – good to see his sister there encouraging him too!

DezB
    Free Member

Excellent. That drop must’ve been pretty steep for the dog to think twice 🙂

geetee1972
    Free Member

Fantastic! I can’t wait to get my littleun on one – a balance bike that is. Think he’ll have to wait a little bit longer for an on one.

How old was your lad when you got him the balance bike?

Rich_s

Very interested in the answer to that question too as the MIL is threatening to get him a trike for xmas… I’m just going to jump in the car and get a Rothan to head her off at the pass 😉

kaesae
    Free Member

Seeing kids happy and enjoying themselves is very cool. Most of the kids where I live just wonder around in a bored daze.

I feel for the little scoundrels but there’s nothing much I can do!

Good on you for doing stuff with your kids, Ridefree!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Hugh – that’s amazing! Is he just two or heading for three?

Ours (just over 2) just shuffles along on his Rothan at the moment!

lister

Our lad got his Rothan for Christmas when he was 2 and 3 months. Scooting by April, feet up downhills by the summer…they are amaing things.
    Pedalled his Cnoc16 days after getting it, pedals were not a problem for him at all…

Just wich we had a BMX track to take him to 🙁

hughjayteens
    Free Member

He’s knocking on for 3 and has been riding his balance bike since he was 2 1/2 (since the summer). We got his sister a wooden balance bike when she was 3 1/2 and then got a (pink) Ridgeback Melody 16 for her 4th birthday and she rode it immediatley without stabilisers. As the wooden balance bike was getting a little tired and he was always wanting to ride it, we got him the Hotwalk when he was 2 1/2 as he came with my to my LBS and started whizzing around on it with massive confidence compared with the wobbly wooden one.

He’s so much more into arsing about on it than his sister ever was and is always looking to ride along beams and down steps etc – they love watching the Danny Macaskill videos and without any encouraging, he pops wheelies on it (with his feet on the ground of course) and does 180s and bar spins! He also doesn’t care about falling over and despite a couple of big offs at the BMX track (usually after not quite making it up the steep bits and rolling backwards into a heap before I can catch him!) he just picks himself up, tells me how brave he is and carries on!

That isn’t his sister in the clip (she’s still only just 5) but a mate’s daughter who’s showing great promise after a season’s racing in the nationals, so a good inspiration for my two!!

We were in Devon during half term so I stuck him on his sisters Ridgeback on the hard sandy beach and with a bit of a help starting from me he managed to ride it quite a way on his own so the balance bike has worked wonders. Am confident he’d be riding a pedal bike very quickly if we bought him one for his 3rd birthday but he enjoys the balance bike so much I think we’ll wait until the summer.

The kids see me coming in twice a week covered in mud with a big smile on my face and I’m sure that has inspired them to follow suit and it is a great feeling to see them getting so much enjoyment from something I enjoy so much myself.

russjp
    Free Member

Good stuff, Hayes tracks first straight is pretty burly. Even for some adults

soma_rich
    Free Member

Even the dog bottles the second jump!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Proud father moment – 2 year old at the BMX track on his balance bike!’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM