Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Protocol when a sale doesn't go to plan on here.
  • granny_ring

If the buyer isn’t happy with the goods or they’re not as described in the listing does the buyer have any ‘rights’ for a refund?
    Does the seller refund the buyer before getting the goods back and the buyer returns them insured with a signed for delivery or does the seller refund buyer once the goods have been returned?

Who pays for the return postage?

Any thoughts….

althepal

Hmm.. There’s been a few similar incidents on here before- hopefully (before folk start looking at your prev posts) you sent ACTUAL pics of the items and gave an accurate description in your ad.
    Actually- I’m off to look at your posting history..

piemonster

Views post history

granny_ring

LOL very helpful…..did u find what you were looking for?

granny_ring

Perhaps I should have started the thread with ‘If a buyer’ and not ‘If the buyer’

z1ppy

If a buyer is not happy with the good received, say for example they are not in the condition described*, then I would expect the seller to refund the original price**, when they have received the goods back. Obviously a buyer will have heeded STW forum advice, and used paypal (not gift) to purchase the item, so there will be no problem getting a refund (paypal side with buyers). The seller would not be expected to pay for the return of the item though.
    Just my take on it, others may disagree

* – I’d say there an expectation that the item is not as describe, rather than the buyer has decided to get cold feet.
    ** – though as the seller has been placed out of pocket by sending the item, the postage may be negotiable, as the seller will have sent the item in good faith, but then if the item is not as describe… bit of a difficult one really.

granny_ring

Thanks z1ppy, one sensible reply. 🙂

Anymore?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Just comes down to contract law, which correlates with common sense.

unklehomered
    Free Member

The above is more in theory, in practice it often comes down to.

footflaps

STW Protocol dictates that the buyer makes no attempt to discuss the issue with the seller, but instead starts a thread in the Chat Forum with a title such as ‘What to do with scum bag rip off Nazi seller’ and then posts a 600 word tirade of abuse.

spooky_b329

Buyers responsibility to return item safely so its down to them to insure if they feel necessary. At the least I would go for ‘signed for’ to reduce the chance of the disgruntled seller claiming goods not recieved back. Then refund.

If seller was misleading in ad then they should add the return postage cost to the refund.

Liftman

I thought normal protocol was ownage with bombers and wee in their shoes 8)

granny_ring

LOL @ footflaps.

Cheers spooky.

Which ever way a refund is done, one side or the other is going to be without the goods and the money paid for them for a few days but what is to stop the seller saying that the returned goods didn’t arrive back even if they were sent signed for then refuse to refund the buyer?
    Therefore would it make more sense to refund the buyer first and have the proof of tracking number etc for the return of the goods?

Reluctant
    Free Member

I agree with what zippy said. Return goods by recorded mail, refund upon receipt. Situations can mostly be avoided with good photos and accurate descriptions before hand, but sometimes peoples’ opinions differ.

althepal

I wasn’t giving much advice but I was being serious about you hopefully providing an accurate description in your ad and actually showing pics of the item. That way it’s maybe not your fault that the sellers not happy with them.
    I didn’t actually look on your history- I can’t be bothered and it was more of a warning that if you post a thread like this on here, folk are prob gonna have a dig to see what you’re on about.
    What you do now depends on the first bit- if your ad was accurate I’d offer a partial refund but not much..
    If you’ve ripped the piss and the buyer now realises that and wants a refund- postage wise I’d maybe offer a full refund and ask them to post it back. I’ve never had this though apart from once when a shifter window was gubbed but the price for the shifters was good so the buyer didn’t mind too much.

granny_ring

althepal, I don’t want to go into details yet but initial communication with the other party involved didn’t go that well so as I’ve not had this situation before I wanted some advice.

althepal

Ouch- doesn’t sound pleasant! If it was me and I had good reason to be dissapointing I guess I’d be looking for a full refund.. If the seller had sold it at a price I’d be ok about paying for the postage back as long as I getting a full refund- the seller has already paid for postage once if you know what I mean?
    Prob just a matter of time till the buyer pops up on here and emails start getting put on to show how reasonable/unreasonable either party has been.

footflaps

Mind you some buyers are just a***holes. I sold a Rab jacket on Ebay (which I bought direct from them) and then had the buyer accuse me of selling a fake, trying to rip him off etc. I refunded him but not the postage. I would have offered if he’d been polite, but as he wasn’t he had to swallow the postage.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Protocol when a sale doesn't go to plan on here.’ is closed to new replies.