Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Procore
  • oldejeans
    Free Member

http://www.schwalbe.com/en/schwalbe-procore.html

179 euros. That seems quite a lot for what the kit contains. Obviously I’m still tempted though. Any one else?

mrblobby
    Free Member

This chap probably thinks they are worth it…

… though doubt he has to buy his own!

wrecker
    Free Member

For both wheels. It’s better than I thought it would be!
    I’d need to try some before I invested though.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Wonder if you can DIY it with a pair of old tubs?

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I’m glad it is a single valve now.

njee20
    Free Member

Wonder if you can DIY it with a pair of old tubs?

Some chap on Bike Radar (I think )had DIYd it using some road tyres, done a good job too!

oldejeans
    Free Member

yeah I’m happy that I can get on this without needing new rims or tyres. still think it’s a great idea, not that I’m fit to polish Sam’s saddle.

Anyone out there already running low pressures thinking this is a waste of money?

gary

Interesting – without having read anything about it I’d assumed it was going to be a system that required dedicated tyres etc.

I’d be quite tempted if the street price is somewhat less – I seem to have developed a habit of snake biting tubeless tyres near the bead anytime I go somewhere rocky – (I could even try and persuade myself) this might actually save me money in the long run 🙂

mintimperial

To fit Procore you need:
    … #5 A little patience and skill when fitting

I’m looking forward to some very entertaining posts on here once people start trying this set up. 😀

Looks very interesting, but I might wait for the price to drop a bit before I think about investigating it properly.

Northwind

It’s interesting to me, but probably a bit too heavy. I’m not too sure about the combination of lightweight tyres and very low pressures, you might get a lot of grip but you’ll also get floppy tyres…

wrecker
    Free Member

you might get a lot of grip but you’ll also get floppy tyres…

Was wondering about this. Won’t the drag be terrible?

AlexSimon

I’ve heard it said a lot of times, that offroad, lower pressures drag less.
    I’m not convinced, but I run low pressures anyway because I’m light and tend to get away with it.

Love the traction and extra suspension of low pressures.
    I’ve still never gone tubeless though!

wrecker
    Free Member

I can’t seem to go less than 35psi (UST tubeless). I’m not even that heavy (well comparitively @93kg).

eulach

Anyone know when you’ll actually be able to buy them? Early next year is all I’ve read.

stevomcd
    Free Member

wrecker – I’m a similar weight to you and can happily run as low as 20psi (and I’m thrashing my bike in the Alps every day), but beefy, dual-ply tyres are essential. Single-ply won’t last me more than a couple of weeks.

Northwind

Meanwhile in France…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/oY8UUY]IMG_2914[/url] by Northwindlowlander, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/oY9vTf]IMG_2916[/url] by Northwindlowlander, on Flickr

stevomcd
    Free Member

Northwind – second one was a weird burp + gravel inhalation, not a flat!

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Has Pat just landed a jump in that last pic?….

Si
    Free Member

So why is this better than running a tough sidewall eg: a Super gravity for additional protection for the average trail rider?

Weight would be the same… And it doesn’t exactly solve the problem of cutting sidewalls…

nonk
    Free Member

When folks talk about procore they always talk about punctures
    It’s not about that it’s about maintaining spring rate at low pressure.
    Think tokens in pikes , same thing sort of.

nonk
    Free Member
    Northwind

stevomcd – Member

Northwind – second one was a weird burp + gravel inhalation, not a flat!

Yeah, but I missed the second flat so it evens out eh

jamj1974

Potentially very dumb question here… Could you not: –

– drill additional valve hole in rim
    – refit tubeless tyre
    – fit undersized (diameter and width tube) using one valve hole
    – fit tubeless valve to remaining valve hole
    – inflate inner tube to hold shape only
    – add sealant to tyre
    – inflate tubeless tyre to say 30psi
    – inflate tune to about 50psi
    – deflate tyre to 20psi

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Can anyone find the commentary from Norway of Warner and Page trying to explain this to the world?

AlexSimon

jamj1974 – I don’t think this will work – The flexibility of the core tube, would make it deform too easily when pinched. The only reason it’s staying at the shape you want, is because you’ve balanced the inner and outer pressures. That balance, would mean it would deform just as easily.
    (in my head anyway). You need something that will hold it’s own shape at a high pressure.

People have experimented with tubular road tyres, and I think that works.
    They complained that cost of tubs was high, but I guess you could get worn ones second-hand.

jamj1974

Cheers Alex – I imagine you are right. More stiffness is likely to be needed!

gregwaring
    Free Member

I’m looking into doing a ghetto version with tubulars. a bit of shopping around reveals that you can get 26″ road tubs in the £20 range. The only thing that’s currently bugging me is how to ensure that the air can get from the tubeless valve into the main tyre when the innner tubular tyre is inflated – it would likely press on the valve and prevent airflow into the outer tyre. There’s only one way to find out though. Gonna get drilling on an old wheel and give it a try.

AlexSimon

There’s another thread on ghetto – some good info on there (including the info that 26″ tubs were too tight).

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

So why is this better than running a tough sidewall eg: a Super gravity for additional protection for the average trail rider?

Because it protects rims against impact strikes better and it will possibly allow you to run even lower pressures with less roll by the looks of it. And yes, also it’s to do with being able to run low pressures and still have the “spring rate” of the tyre ramp up quickly/progressively.

Synatce are behind it, so I’m definitely going to try it. This is one of the few new products I haven’t scoffed at this year – far better invention than new axle sizes.

What solves cutting sidewalls is riding well. 😆 I’ve never bothered with dual plys unless I was racing.

My next trail bike is getting procore, plus the 1500 gram Superstar carbon wheelset – which should bring the weight up to a set of Flow EX’s in a stiffer grippier setup. I’ll probably knock some of the weight back off by dropping down to a Nobby Nic or a 2.25 Hans Dampf instead of the 2.35 Hans Dampf as 24 PSI on the front gives me a good amount of grip on smaller tyres.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I’ve had the pleasant experience of riding an early (twin valve) prototype for a week in Finale a couple of months ago. Syntace W40 rim on a Liteville 601.
    Everyone in our group pinchflatted at some stage during the week, despite most running dual-ply Maxxis tubeless… everyone except me that is 😀
    That’s not a skills boast as I’m usually the the one to destroy rims and tyres. The pro-core was faltless all week, despite me continually knocking seven bells out of it and denting the rim quite badly, it never lost pressure. I’ll be buying it.

mtbel
    Free Member

lol at the 14.5st guy who thinks he’s thrashing his bike in the Alps while running 20psi.

Your guage, scales or gnarometer need recalibrated mate. seriously.

Northwind

Quite surprised if Stevo weighs 14.5 stone but he’s no need of a gnarometer reset, I’ve ridden with him and seen the state of his bikes after a season, they get thrashed like a tory backbencher. (ie, maybe not quite as hard as some, but every day for as long as they live).

(though he’s had a couple of flats every time I’ve been out with him, I think he just edits them from his memory. “Bloody guests, always faffing!”)

mtbel
    Free Member

Having ridden with you both I’d be surprised at Steve being that heavy now too…

Still… 20 psi = a foldy sidewall for anyone over 14st who actually loads their bike in turns… euuuueeewwww!! no ta.. leave that shit to beach/snow riders and their immeasurable grins.

Merry Christmas to the both of you.

Northwind

Yah, you need higher pressures for cyclocross I think

Steve’s weight is probably 9/10ths hair and sunscreen.

mtbel
    Free Member

😉

maxtorque

ChunkyMTB
    Has Pat just landed a jump in that last pic?…

When they say “Yeah, Pat, he’s pretty laid back” this is what they mean! 😉

maxtorque

mtbel
    lol at the 14.5st guy who thinks he’s thrashing his bike in the Alps while running 20psi.

Your guage, scales or gnarometer need recalibrated mate. seriously.

Whilst that^^^^ accusation would i suspect describe a few of the STW massive, in reality, Stevo is actually an exception. Having had the pleasure of chasing him off the top of a few Pointy mountains in the last few years, he doesn’t hold back in my experience! 😉

gavstorie
    Free Member

20psi..?

Thats pretty high.. I run 12psi in my Magic Mary SG Vertstar (tubeless)

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I was really looking forward to procore until i realise you can’t swap tyres easily.

alcolepone
    Free Member

i know mtb’ing is expensive, but cant figure out how they cant get away charging £150 for some inner tubes?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Procore’ is closed to new replies.