Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 105 total)
  • Probably been caught speeding .. minor whine
  • SandyThePig
    Free Member

Pootling along with the wife and kids at 35-40 mph in what I assumed was a 40 zone.

Someone flashed me and I thought “accident or speed trap” .. no bother I’ll carry on. Kept a lookout for speed limit signs as I was unsure what the speed limit was .. road felt like a 40. Came across the speed trap 30s later and had a bad feeling when the guy looked down art his gun … went home and googled as I just wanted to be sure I definitely wasn’t speeding. Just found out it was a 30 and now I can’t sleep.

I don’t knowingly speed which is annoying. Anyway I’ve done the deed I’ll take the fine and points but there goes a 20 year unblemished record. Is it worth writing to the local plod to moan about signage (but not to get out of it)? Maybe I should always assume a 30 if I don’t know the speed limit .. was that my mistake?

Whine score out of 10? Anyone feel sorry for me?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You know the highway code on designated a 30? Basically always assume 30 unless it tells you it isn’t. And re read the highway code.
    It’s also a worse offence not knowing the limit as that is it taking enough care or paying enough attention.

Wookster

No point contacting the police on signage mate. You’ll probably be offered a course if your not going too near 40.

SandyThePig
    Free Member

You know the highway code on designated a 30? Basically always assume 30 unless it tells you it isn’t. And re read the highway code.
    It’s also a worse offence not knowing the limit as that is it taking enough care or paying enough attention.

Didn’t know that .. I’ll be sure to bear that in mind in future! Kicking myself really…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Really? Normally taught a lot. Sounds like re reading the highway code would be a good thing see how many other things you missed.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I did exactly the same thing 2 weeks ago…..got the notice on thursday.
    33 in a 30 (non residential road past an industrial estate).First ticket ever at 44.
    Shit happens.

nealglover
    Free Member

Seems like you spent quite a while driving along thinking about what the speed might be, but still couldn’t work it out.

I think a speed awareness course would be a good thing for you. You will learn how not to make the same mistake again.

(Not being patronising, I’ve done the course myself)

RobHilton
    Free Member

If it’s a built up area and the side roads don’t have 30 signs you’re in a 30 zone.

This is *almost* always true. And you won’t die where it’s not.

P.S.
    Pigsy is a pig – Sandy is a river monster 😉

SandyThePig
    Free Member

I do have a vague recollection of it but I thought it was only residential areas. It was on an A road that was skirting near a town (I’ve just checked Google maps and there are street lights but no houses etc hence my failed assumption of 40mph). Anyway I’ve no-one to blame but myself I’m just annoyed that’s all.

SandyThePig
    Free Member

I think a speed awareness course would be a good thing for you…

I think you’re probably right…

damascus
    Free Member

36 in a 30 in an area that had just had its speed changed.

I did the speed awareness course. I actually found it very good.

If in doubt do 30 until you know better.

The new fines for speeding are scary!

SandyThePig
    Free Member

My grumble is that if they want idiots like me to do a particular speed they need to help us out as much as possible and make it really obvious what that speed is. I guess I’m conditioned to speed signs everywhere else, and I take the point of “30 unless indicated otherwise”.

It’s just my behaviour would have changed in this scenario if I knew it was a 30 meaning in theory everyone would have been safer as a result.. silver lining is I won’t make the same mistake again wrt highway code.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I saw the van from miles away,looked at the speedo and thought ‘it’s fine I’m doing less than 35 in a 40’ (I drive like an OAP at the best of times).
    The camera van was parked obscuring the 30 sign as I went past it.
    Shit happens.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Last time I read The Highway Code was 1974, has it changed much? ❓

mikewsmith
    Free Member

probably best read it, ignorance isn’t a defence

aracer
    Free Member

Only one way to find out…

Cougar

The thing for me here is that you don’t know what speed you were doing, nor did you know what limit the road was. That’s not a great combination. Was it 35 or 40 you were “pootling” at? Sounds to me like an awareness course is a good idea.

That said. ACPO guidelines for the course is 10%+2, so in a 30 zone you should be offered the course at 35mph or under. In a modern car, an indicated 35-40 is probably around 30-36. So there’s every chance that a) you’ll get away with it and b) if you don’t you’ll be offered the course.

Google Maps link if you’d like us to be more judgemental?

martinhutch

Maybe I should always assume a 30 if I don’t know the speed limit .. was that my mistake?

One of the bits of my speed awareness course was pointing out the ‘obvious’ things that indicate it’s likely to be a 30.

Streetlights. No repeater signs. No signs on entry to side roads etc etc.

The reason that local authorities don’t have to put repeater signs in 30s is that there are an awful lot of roads in towns that would require them.

GrahamS

Last time I read The Highway Code was 1974, has it changed much?

Well I imagine the current Highway Code has less emphasis on the dangers of running over your flag man and the importance of carrying a crank handle for your starter 😉

Seriously though, I’m sure a fair bit has been changed since 1974. The national speed limits have changed at least once since then, and the “default 30” being discussed above wasn’t introduced till the 1984 Road Traffic Act.

Maybe not a bad idea to re-read it and see what’s changed for yourself? It’s available free on t’internet.

(one of the many reasons I support periodic re-testing for all drivers)

CountZero

These two roads, the A420 (top) and the A4 (bottom), are on opposite sides of town, one is the Bath Road, the other the Bristol Road. I got done for doing 40 about where the viewpoint is on the A4, just where it exits a railway bridge, and at that time there were no buildings on the left, just a derelict house and overgrown garden, with just residential on the right, as it is now. The A420 hasn’t changed at all.
    Anyone care to tell me what the difference is?
    Just to be clear, where the red car is, with the traffic island and all, that didn’t exist, it was just a straight road, until it met a junction further on.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Both would be default 30 unless signed otherwise?

irc

Someone flashed me and I thought “accident or speed trap” .. no bother I’ll carry on.

I’d be kicking myself if I got warned and still got caught.

jimdubleyou

I thought it was safe to assume a road with streetlights but without signage would have a 30mph limit?

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

Without being too sanctmonious, this

Last time I read The Highway Code was 1974, has it changed much?

And this

there goes a 20 year unblemished record.

IMO play a signifcant part in what is wrong with driving standards in this country. Driving a car is one of the most hazardous things you can do, in terms of immediate risk fo 3rd parties. To be allowed to drive around in tonnes of speeding metal with only a partial understanding of the rules is crazy if you step back for a minute.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Policeman standing out with a speed gun rather than a camera van? You weren’t stopped at the time? You’ll hear no more about it.

jamj1974

Good advice above but try to ignore some of the sanctimony on some of the posts. All of them are very decent guys on here but sometimes this place is a a little ‘preachy’! 😉

You’ve made a mistake and have been caught. All of us have made them before and not been caught – even the driving instructors above – if only some of them would admit it.

Don’t beat yourself up too much, you are clearly looking to avoid the same mistake and learn. That is most definitely to be lauded.

Drac

It’s simple.

You MUST NOT exceed the maximum speed limits for the road and for your vehicle (see the table below). The presence of street lights generally means that there is a 30 mph (48 km/h) speed limit unless otherwise specified.
    Law RTRA sects 81, 86, 89 & sch 6

oldnpastit

What Drac said.

Streetlights? It’s 30 unless there are signs to the contrary.

Jamie
    Free Member

All of them are very decent guys on here but sometimes this place is a a little ‘preachy’!

A little?

You, sir, do a nice line in understatement.

scotroutes

Cougar – Moderator

That said. ACPO guidelines for the course is 10%+2,

Remember they were only guidelines and ACPO hasn’t existed for years 🙂

Preachy? Please forgive those who have to share the road with errant motorists having an opinion on road safety….

Drac

Remember they were only guidelines and ACPO hasn’t existed for years

A pointless guideline at that.

sr0093193
    Free Member

Street lights present assume its 30. If it’s anything else there will be a big sign, but also small signs (repeaters) at short intervals. So if your unsure slow to 30, if you see a repeater saying 40 after 100 metres you can speed up.

deadkenny
    Free Member

I believe the street lights have to occur at a certain regularity to qualify as a 30. Those pictures above, bottom yes, top maybe and maybe not.

Also the tolerance before a fine has changed just recently I think? News was saying about potential to be fined just for doing 31 in a 30 and a heavier fine. Though could be typical exaggerated news.

Anyway, if there’s a cop with a speed gun then likely it’s a place where many aren’t aware of the speed and a nice revenue generator. If they’re that concerned about accidents there they’d stick big signs up and slow down markings.

Scapegoat

As thegreatape says, a cop with a handheld speed gun would have either flagged you down or sent his mates to get you. You haven’t been done, but this may be a good reminder to sort out the rules of the game before you play.

Drac

Also the tolerance before a fine has changed just recently I think? News was saying about potential to be fined just for doing 31 in a 30 and a heavier fine. Though could be typical exaggerated news.

A bit of both.

Sandwich

Was it 35 or 40 you were “pootling” at?

This wasn’t a Pook (blessings unto him) sanctioned Pootle was it?

convert

I feel your pain. I’ve seen some real inconstancy in 30 limits applied around the country:-

apparently its ok to go through here at 50

But here only 30 would be considered safe.

For me all the guidance about looking for ‘indicators’ such as speed limit signs on side roads, repeaters or lack there of, and the distance between lamp posts is just a workaround for poorly applied logic to speed limits. The op is right – after 20 years you should be able to ‘feel’ what is the right speed for the road and the sign should be there just for confirmation. I’m not sure I want drivers casting about for signs on side roads and the like – I’d rather they were focussed on avoiding each other and bystanders as their primary objective.

However if in doubt slow down would not be an unreasonable rule of thumb.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I don’t think these days anyone can expect to maintain a clean driving career. We’re all human so the possibility of making errors exists for us all, nobody is perfect and with the increase in the means and methods to be able to catch people speeding at any given time so much more effective now it really is a case of when not if for most people.

I got a few minor misdemeanours when I first passed my test, as case of typical early driver being a D-head, then I knuckled down and had a pretty trouble free driving career until a few years ago when I got clocked at 36 in a 30 – again all the usual excuses, but ultimately its only ever the drivers fault, you can’t blame anyone else.

But i’m glad I did the speed awareness course. It was very valuable, taught me so much more than I ever learned from my learning to drive days and so much more than what’s in the HC. The HC just lists some minimal rules that we should abide by – most of it isn’t law its is just a code, but there is so much more that isn’t even in the HC that you will learn if you do a speed awareness course or more advanced driving courses.

I all in favour of everyone having a speed awareness course type of course every 10 or 15 years to maintain their licence. However it was a bit depressing to see the attitude and sheer mix of arrogance and ignorance of some of the knuckle draggers on the course. Their attitude was shocking. There are so many people who just need their licences revoked immediately.

martinhutch

I went to my Speed Awareness Course (66 in a 60) expecting to know it all, pretty quickly realised I didn’t, heard some interesting stuff and took the opportunity to come out of the place with a better attitude to driving generally, which I like to think I’ve kept even a few years later.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

apparently its ok to go through here at 50

But

here only 30 would be considered safe.

Again the limit not target, it may not be safe to go through either at 30mph in some conditions.
    As proven by this thread many people are unaware of the rules of the road while others choose to ignore them.
    Currently sat in Victoria Oz where if you want to flaunt the rules you need deep pockets, it does help and we will be heading up the main highway towards Sydney in the morning and I reckon 95% will be at or close to the limit in good conditions with very few making progress hard.

This week they are out with long lenses catching people on their phones. Enforcement should just be that, it’s not revenue generation.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 105 total)

The topic ‘Probably been caught speeding .. minor whine’ is closed to new replies.