Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Pro 2 evo question
  • rancid
    Free Member

Just got some wheels with pro 2 evo rear – has the QR adapter in, but I cant get a 10 speed shimano cassette done up as the lockring wont tighten enough. Am I missing something here? Do I need a spacer?

somouk
    Free Member

Are they brand new or second hand? If the latter what did the previous person run, if the former then speak with the company you bought them from.

I’ve always just bolted the cassettes on to Hopes with no problems.

z1ppy

did you put in spacer in the cassette? (do any of the cogs look too close together)

rancid
    Free Member

somouk – with the QR adapter you just bolted shimano on?

rancid
    Free Member

z1ppy – cassette previously on another wheel, just slid off and onto new wheel and all spaced fine.

Northwind

Remove QR endcap from driveside, try again- the freehub’s a fixed dimension so the only thing I can think is that the endcap’s stopping the lockring from tightening down properly. Or something along those lines- damaged thread?

Whatever adaptor’s fitted makes no difference if it’s fitted properly.

rancid
    Free Member

It is definitely the end cap – no doubt – it will not allow the lockring tool to engage as it fouls the qr adapter – what i mean is, should I have put a spacer on the freehub before putting the cassette on (like a road bike)? Cant believe a factory made adapter wont allow all variants of cassette to go on?? I will file the thing down if I need to, but cant believe I have to?? Spacer???

mikewsmith
    Free Member

There is no spacer!
    From what you say you can’t fit the tool, does it have a pin in the middle? Is the adapter fitted properly?
    Pull the qr plug out and fit it the replace the plug. If you can’t get the at to work I’d suggest professional help as there is nothing that should stop you fitting a cassette. Ive fitted loads to those hubs.

rancid
    Free Member

You cant fit the cassette then put the adapter on – the centre of the adapter is too big. This is why the lockring wont do up past a certain point. I will get it sorted no doubt.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

OK try fitting it without to check it fits then try removing it and doing it with the adapter in. Is it pushed in far enough, have you tried a different tool?

davewalsh
    Free Member

Are the adapters fitted the right way round? (Silver on the drive side).

tomaso
    Free Member

Some cassette lockring tools won’t fit in the gap between the ring and the axle adaptor.

carlos
    Free Member

As Mike said up there^^^ remove the end cap and fit the cassette to be sure there are no issues with it that way.

My money is on you need a longer reach cassette locking socket. The one I have is a cheapo X tools version with the guide pin in the middle and I never had any issues with cassette lock rings on Pro 2 Evo’s.

I guess you could just pop into your LBS (if you have one) and ask them to nip it up

roverpig

I had an issue (with X12 adaptors) where the tool wouldn’t push in far enough to press on the lockring. The solution was simply to screw the lockring on by hand a couple of turns. Once the thread had engaged the tool worked just fine.

Northwind

rancid – Member

You cant fit the cassette then put the adapter on – the centre of the adapter is too big. This is why the lockring wont do up past a certain point

It’s normal for the adaptor to not go on once the lockring’s on, no issue there.

If the cassette and lockring will go on properly with the adaptor out, then it’s almost certainly the adaptor itself. Either not fully inserted into the hub and sitting too tall, or something less likely like it being the wrong part or damaged in some way. Does it fit OK in a bike? (if the adaptor’s sticking out too far the wheel will be wider than 135mm- you could measure that too. Frames tend to splay a little without a wheel in but, well, I’d notice if the wheel was wider than usual.

I would have assumed that if the QR adaptor just isn’t all the way in, that the lockring would either force it on, or maybe pull the hub off… But maybe not.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Either the qr endcap is not seated properly (i.e. not far enough onto the axle), or is the wrong cap (they are handed), or your lockring tool isn’t suitable (fouling internally on the qr endcap).

Assuming it’s the correctly handed endcap…
    As most have said ^^^ remove the endcap (pulls off with pliers)and try fitting the lockring without it in place.
    If it seats/tightens, then you’ve definitively proven it’s one of the two remaining causes.
    Remove lockring. Refit qr endcap but take a look at the depth of the internal face first. That’s how far to expect it to push down the axle.
    Take a look at the condition of the o-ring in there too. does it look damaged?
    Grease the inside of the endcap lightly it and refit it by hand.
    If it doesn’t seat deep enough, as a last resort you could try nipping it up with the skewer, in the frame.
    If it seats as far onto the axle as you think it should, try the lockring and tool again.
    If still fouling, you need a new lockring tool

montecha
    Free Member

Are you sure it’s not a road 11 speed free hub? These are 1.85 mm (from memory) longer than a 10 speed. So your cassette will go on too far and the locking would tighten but the cassette would still be lose.

The spacers are easy to get. Normally the default from Hope is 10 speed. If it’s a 29er / CX wheel then this is a possibility.

montecha
    Free Member

Are you sure it’s not a road 11 speed free hub? These are 1.85 mm (from memory) longer than a 10 speed. So your cassette will go on too far and the locking would tighten but the cassette would still be lose.

The spacers are easy to get. Normally the default from Hope is 10 speed. If it’s a 29er / CX wheel then this is a possibility.

Northwind

Yeah, that’s why he needs to try it without the QR spacer in, it’ll eliminate that.

rancid
    Free Member

What a F#’king numpty – swapped the end caps and all is good. The guy who had it before me said he had always run it the (wrong) way round without knowing…
    Thanks for all the replies. Sorry, feel free to berate me as you see fit!!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Pro 2 evo question’ is closed to new replies.