Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Price to fit a Bowden's kitchen?
  • boxelder

L shaped, with additional breakfast bar. Newly skimmed walls and concrete floor. 4 units on one wall, 3 with sink on the other. £800 sounds steep to me? Two fellas, two days – done as a weekend job, they’re good, but not professionals.
    What do you reckon.
    Obviously I’ll get other quotes.

TomB

My mate did mine for mates rates,(it’s his job) at £400 for 3 full days work. L shape 4m X 2.5m with cuts for hob and sink, plus wall units and extractor. I assisted where no skill required. Would think 2 guys for 2 days would be fine, but your price is £200/person/day

mtbfix

Is this cash in hand or on the books?

Edric64
    Free Member

Sounds fine for working over a weekend but only if its on the books

boxelder

Howdens obviously….

your price is £200/person/day

This was the surprise. It’s twice what I get as a teacher on supply and while some of the work will be skilled, assembling/fixing pre built units can’t be that hard.
    May look to do what I can and get a joiner to do the surfaces etc.
    I’m assuming it’s cash.

Tallpaul
    Free Member

I’d budget £150 per person per day for a kitchen fitter (on the books).

£200 per day is a VAT registered skilled tradesmans rate.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i assume they will come with their own tools…….

I mean tools are free aint they ?

psychobiker
    Free Member

Fair point but a joiner will still want £100 plus for worktop joints, assuming he or she hasnt got to spend time re levelling the units or finding the units have not been scribed to the walls if they are not plumb, therefore throwing the worktop overhangs out. £150 a day for a kitchen, plus costs of cutters, and worktops destroy cutters.

andywoods
    Free Member

Howdens units are preassembled, so only legs, doors, etc to fit. Sounds like an empty shell so should be quick and easy weekends work for 1.

br
    Free Member

your price is £200/person/day
    This was the surprise. It’s twice what I get as a teacher on supply

So if you’re working for £100 per day, and they want £800, then if you can do it in less than 8 days you’re quids in.

boxelder

Indeed br

Very good point Trail rat – Icouldn’t/wouldn’t attempt worktop cutting.

erny
    Free Member

Sounds a bit pricey to me for a cash in hand job, I’m a joiner/kitchen fitter aswell!

therag
    Free Member

Around £50 per unit

andywoods
    Free Member

I presume they’re piping up sink and connecting up electrics/cooker for that as well? Or am I being to cheap when I do mine????

wrightyson
    Free Member

200 a day cash is a bit piss takey for what’s involved. I’m presuming no wall units in that lot? I presume they’re plumbing in at that too?

chickenman

Well I charge more than £200 a day; must live somewhere posh!!But I reckon by the time I’ve paid all the costs related to running a business + taken time off for holidays, mtb woopsies etc then my daily rate as an income per annum is half what the employed folk on here might work it out as.
    Do you really only get £100 a day as a supply teacher? That gives you a maximum income of only £20k gross assuming you get work every school day!?!
    I would have thought £600 for the kitchen fit would be about right depending on whether underwall lights, baffles, cornices, décor panels and integrated appliances have to be fitted.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Going rate for kitchen fitting (it”s what I do btw)

£50 per unit
    £10 per filler/end panel
    £90 for 1st worktop joint, £50 thereafter, £25 per sink/hob cut out £10 per finished end
    £85 for sink installation/connection
    £50 for extractor + £70 for hole core
    £10 per appliance
    £50 per integrated appliance with door
    + any electrical and gas connections that need doing.

Howdens are rigid carcass, yes. but still require legs fitting, hinges and doors fitting, handle holes drilling and handles fitted. All this takes some time.

I’d say 2 days for 2 blokes is about right. I’d think £650-£700 would be about right. I too charge £185-£200 on day rate + materials used.

boxelder

Thanks Blazin….

chickenman – through an agency I get £143/day, £106 after deductions. Not complaining.No’homework/OFSTED

wrighty – there are wall units

chickenman

I don’t imagine there’s a kitchen fitter out there who’s never screwed up machining a worktop, drop a pointy tool on something or drilled a handle in the wrong place; 😯 when that happens, the fitter takes the hit. One reason why folk charge more for this sort of work.

Pz_Steve

‘b r’ has it.

If you’re not happy paying for it, then do it yourself. If you’re not happy doing it yourself, then pay for it.

Sorry, I didn’t mean to sound harsh. But really, as long as you don’t work out how long it took / cost per hour, it’s not rocket surgery.

I did my kitchen from scratch (laying floor tiles, new ceiling, 3 new walls and exposing old stonework on 4th wall, all wiring, all worktops, carcasses, doors, etc) and I’m – frankly – crap at DIY. The only thing I bought was the soft-close drawer mechanisms. It looks good, works well and was a fraction of the cost of paying a professional…. AS LONG AS I DON’T LOOK AT THE COST OF MY TIME! The whole room came it at under £2k for materials, but then it took me 6 months of weekends and evenings. Time I’ll never get back (plus the aggro of living without a functioning kitchen).

If you’re happy to try, then why not have a go yourself? If it all turns to **** then you have spent little apart from your time, but if it works out there’s a huge amount of STW Smugness satisfaction in having done it yourself.

br
    Free Member

chickenman – through an agency I get £143/day, £106 after deductions. Not complaining.No’homework/OFSTED

That’s net, not gross.

I just did our utility room. Got the trades in for the electrics/plumbing and worktops and did the rest (cupboards/flooring/plasterboards/decorating) myself.

Probably took 5 days of my time, plus a day for each trade.

boxelder

Plenty of sense as ever. If I can get a bona fide fitter at a similar price I’ll use them (trip to west Lakes Blazin Saddles??). I’ll talk to a joiner mate and see if I can lift and carry and get him to do the measure twice/cut once bits.

IA

I fitted my kitchen in a week by myself, then paid a joiner £60 to do the worktop joint (everything in place ready, all adjusted to be square and perfectly level etc).

Your quoted price doesn’t sound unreasonable, though depends what’s awkward/not in your case with the plumbing, getting the tops right etc.

boxelder

5 hours and all the base cabinets assembled and in place level ready for worktops. Quoted £100 for two cuts and basin. Wall units to hang and corner bits, plinths etc. Then doors and drawers to handle and attach. Won’t be as well done, but pretty satisfying and no hassle from kids, so nice change from the supply work.

IA

Bit late now, but for anyone else I found it easier to do the wall cabs first as then the base units aren’t in your way for lifting them into place…

boxelder

I’m freaky tall IA, so should manage.

chickenman

Don’t agree IA: Wall units have to go exactly above the base units (or you get cooker hoods not above hobs etc)and IME base units, in old properties in particular, usually end up not centred exactly where you expected; not easy to move the wall units 10mm sideways if something’s in the way of moving the base units to suit. Ditto the worktop height might depend on appliances + floor coverings; I’ve fitted kitchens to floors 3″ higher at one side of the worktop run. This then affects wall unit height.

soobalias
    Free Member

hope you dont teach math.
    or tech
    tell me its arts, or primary…

edit – missed your second to last post, take some of it back now.

rmgdsc76
    Free Member

In my last 3 kitchens I’ve had 5 damaged worktops and 4 doors, it plays havoc with your schedule and price. Rates very regional. Top prices listed are right in the midlands.

boxelder

What’s math?

I teach kids.

hooli

As above, it sounds about right to me. Try getting 2 other quotes, you should get an average price for the area.

Something a builder mate of mine has said is they are flat out at the moment, a lot of people want stuff done before christmas. You may get a better price in the new year?

gummikuh

Like all things, it may seem expensive, but right now there’s lots of work out there, I am turning work away.
    Cutting worktops is not difficult, but not easy either, I have invested in a decent jig, decent router and I usually buy a new bit every other time. A biscuit jointer and a decent pair of trestles, clamps, then a track saw to take out sink/hob, jigsaw for the corners. worktop bolts and biscuits.
    Soon adds up.
    I usually struggle on my own lifting 4m oak worktops now as well.
    Getting rid of all the rubbish, my van is filled with cardboard at the end of each day.
    Loads of info on you tube, and you can hire most things if you want to give it a go yourself.
    I am happy to let people do as much or as little as they want and then just finish up but I am tired of people saying they will labour for me, they just stand around in the way and then expect a huge price cut, I always say no don’t bother, I wont let them use my tools and they usually can’t even put the kettle in.

lunge

I paid £800 for mine to be fitted. That was 1 bloke, 4 1/2 days work, through the books. He did a cracking job too.

Edit, I had to get my tame sparky to sign test it too, I also paid for a skip for the old stuff and the cardboard.

hammerite
    Free Member

Had the same guy just fit a new bathroom as did our kitchen. He does a cracking job, but is a bit slow (likes to talk!). He charges £100 a day.

Our Howdens kitchen was ordered by him using his trade account. He supplied it to us at his cost.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Price to fit a Bowden's kitchen?’ is closed to new replies.