Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Price matching – it's a love hate thing
  • piemann
    Free Member

I love it because it saves me money.
    I hate it because it makes me feel smug to have saved money in this way.

(Especially smug today since I saved £30 on a set of panniers)

nealglover
    Free Member

If it helps you not to feel smug, you didn’t really “save” £30 on a pair of panniers.

You just bought them for the same price as you could elsewhere.

Or possibly even more help.

You just forced a shop with big overheads to pay for, to sell for the same price as an online retailer with smaller overheads.

There you go, you can feel guilty now instead of smug 😉

mattjg
    Free Member

& in 15 years when you walk down your High Street and there are only hair dressers, cafés, estate agents and charity shops, you’ll know you did your own little bit to help.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Invitation to tender. No one forced anyone into anything.

mattjg
    Free Member

actually, scratch estate agents from that list, somebody will crack that one.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

actually, scratch estate agents from that list, somebody will crack that one.

Stick it on rightmove, zoopla and findaproperty.com yourself, spend the money saved on a Mini/Fiat 500/Audi A3.

brakes
    Free Member

& in 15 years when you walk down your High Street and there are only hair dressers

I get my hair cut online now

bencooper
    Free Member

The proliferation of hairdressers (there were three in the small row of shops where my old shop was) reminds me of Douglas Adams’ Shoe Event Horizon:

Many years ago this was a thriving, happy planet – people, cities, shops, a normal world. Except that on the high streets of these cities there were slightly more shoe shops than one might have thought necessary. And slowly, insidiously, the number of the shoe shops were increasing. It’s a well-known economic phenomenon but tragic to see it in operation, for the more shoe shops there were, the more shoes they had to make and the worse and more unwearable they became. And the worse they were to wear, the more people had to buy to keep themselves shod, and the more the shops proliferated, until the whole economy of the place passed what I believe is termed the Shoe Event Horizon, and it became no longer economically possible to build anything other than shoe shops. Result – collapse, ruin and famine. Most of the population died out. Those few who had the right kind of genetic instability mutated into birds who cursed their feet, cursed the ground and vowed that no one should walk on it again.

mattjg
    Free Member

I get my hair cut online now

Mine’s done at home with clippers.

However my ‘hairstyle’ doesn’t require any skill from the clipperer.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Price matching – it's a love hate thing’ is closed to new replies.