Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Pretentious photography essay what I wrote
  • geetee1972
    Free Member

In case anyone was interested in my shameless self promotion

Candid photography on ‘The Phoblographer’

atlaz
    Free Member

You lost me at “Phoblographer”. Worst blog title ever.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Enjoyed the photos better than the thread grammar!! “What I wrote” ???? 😯

The light in the family one is v effective. Nice link, thx

legend
    Free Member

atlaz – Member

You lost me at “Phoblographer”. Worst blog title ever.

Its someone that takes blood innit? (Other than a vampire)

geetee1972
    Free Member

“What I wrote” ????

I was being ironic and self deprecating (apparently not entirely successfully!) 😀

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I got as far as this.

Among the films I was exposed to that made a particular impression (and which I would otherwise likely not have seen had I not made film a formal subject of study), was the Italian neorealist masterpiece ‘Bicycle Thieves’, which is, as I am sure many of you will know, is one of the greatest films ever made.

Never heard of the film and, I’m sure you’re aware, I am unlikely to search it out for several fears.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I was attempting to give you the benefit of the doubt there having read the prose 😉

(but still grates!!)

geetee1972
    Free Member

Never heard of the film and, I’m sure you’re aware, I am unlikely to search it out for several fears.

Aw that would be a shame, OK so yes a bike does get stolen and yes, it is the reason that the film is tragic, but it is still a wonderful film and the pure love the protagonist shows for his son is still uplifting.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Enjoyed that, thanks ! (Edit always take courage to share personal stuff on here, as seen by comments above)

What I wrote

TMH Baroness Shakrabati said “ain’t” on Newsnight … I am sure that was deliberate too

geetee1972
    Free Member

Enjoyed that, thanks !

You’re most welcome.

Edit always take courage to share personal stuff on here, as seen by comments above

Oh i think they could be much (much) worse!

IHN

which is, as I am sure many of you will know, is one of the greatest films ever made.

Superfluous “is”.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Superfluous “is”.

Bugger – well at least you read it (and thoroughly it would seem!)

IHN

I only read the bit quoted above 🙂

geetee1972
    Free Member

I only read the bit quoted above

😀

DezB
    Free Member

“What I wrote” is an old Morecambe & Wise joke. Maybe THM is too young…

DezB
    Free Member

Enjoyed the phogloboglophy essay. Ended earlier than I expected though.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Ended earlier than I expected though.

Well that would be a first for me! Usually i have too much to say.

yosemitepaul

Greg, I’m a big fan of your style of photography, I always enjoy viewing them on here or Flickr. I would go so far to say that your style has encouraged me on occasions to attempt to use similar techniques. Long may your enthusiasm and approach to photography continue.
    I’ve read your article, but am not sure where its coming from or going to. I agree with your philosophies but this reminds me of a comedic portrayal of art. Perhaps I’m unused to reading this type of article, but it appears very high brow in an attempt to describe your approach.
    Please keep up the great work.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Paul – you’re possibly right about that. I think that’s why I jokingly referred to it as a ‘pretentious’ article. I will take the huge complement you pay the photographs and feel happy about that (and a huge thank you as well).

Being honest, the words have come as a result of the photographs. I have photographed what I felt compelled to photograph and as part of this journey, I have thought a great deal about what it is I am interested in, what the themes are. This is to some degree ‘post rationalisation’ but I’ve done it in an honest way to try and learn along the way and not just be a photographic butterfly.

Your saying you like my style of photography is the best compliment you could pay me because it suggests that such a thing even exists, as a consistent perspective. That means that I’ve accomplished something, which is to find my style.

The article itself was a funny experience because I actually sent them a different piece about the teenagers I’ve been photographing here in Horsham. But he didn’t think much of those portraits and instead askwed me to write something about the candid work. I could have (probably should have) just said that they’re just pictures of people in moments in time!

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I really like the shots. You’re a much, much better phoblobrahper than writer.

Your saying you like my style of photography is the best compliment you could pay me because it suggests that such a thing even exists, as a consistent perspective. That means that I’ve accomplished something, which is to find my style.

This makes sense to me. Despite it’s pretentiousness 🙂

You certainly do have a ‘style’ and it’s interesting as well as aesthetically pleasing. Keep up the good work.

DezB
    Free Member

MY question is – would you sue the arse off someone if they made a sculpture based on one of your pics? 😆

DrJ

Thanks for sharing that, Greg – as jamba says, it always take courage to share personal stuff on here. It’s interesting to hear a photographer express the reasons why he presses the button!

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

@DezB

It’s people like you who make STW great 🙂

40mpg

Compared to some of the pretentious, largely unintelligible gibberish I’ve read over my daughter’s shoulder* as she studies for a degree in photojournalism, you’ve got a long way to go yet to hit those levels of claptrap. But I like your photos

*What she was reading, not writing

geetee1972
    Free Member

would you sue the arse off someone if they made a sculpture based on one of your pics?

I confess I don’t get that but would very much like to given MCPH’s comment.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Well that would be a first for me! Usually i have too much to say.

It’s like the literary equivalent of HDR photography: over-contrasted, over-saturated, and over-stated. It is, at least, sincere though.

I get the feeling that you’re relatively new to photography, and that shows sometimes, both in your images – as technically excellent as they often are – and in the manner in which you discuss your work. I do wonder sometimes how much your need to discuss and explain what you do means that you may find it harder to include that motivation and energy in your actual photographs. I say that as somebody with a lifelong fascination in what exactly drives a person to push the shutter at the precise moment they do.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Three_Fish, perhaps uncomfortably close to the truth there. Actually you nailed it.

It’s a journey. The talking about it helps me make sense and learn. But I will get to the point where I no longer need to do that.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

geetee1972 – there was a thread with someone who made incredibly photo-realistic sketches of bike components (amongst other things).

It got derailed (as was more than likely) and someone’s photograph of the back of a watch was copied by a very talented artist. The photographer wanted a large amount of money from the sketcher to spend on wine / teach the other artist a lesson.

God, that sounds boring typing it out!

Do you have a link to more shots? My wife loves the ‘girl on a grate with a scarf’ image.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Do you have a link to more shots? My wife loves the ‘girl on a grate with a scarf’ image.

My website is here:

Tears in Rain

and flickr is here:

Flickr

nickc

Great piece, thanks GeeTee really enjoyed it, agree about Bicycle thieves one of my faves as well, the scene with Bruno at the end…

Fav photos are Subway and grab’n’go (love the look on his face!)

MrSmith
    Free Member

I’m not going to read it, would rather look at pictures.
    good imagery doesn’t need to be validated by an essay.
    If it helps you see where you are going then fair enough but others don’t need to witness that journey, just see the results. IMHO

barkm
    Free Member

I’m not going to read it, would rather look at pictures.
    good imagery doesn’t need to be validated by an essay.
    If it helps you see where you are going then fair enough but others don’t need to witness that journey, just see the results. IMHO

Completely agree with this.
    Great photo’s, but the essay came across as trying way too hard to provide a reason for them, and it actually took something away from your photos.
    I love good photography, and the best doesn’t need words or explanation.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Yeah, I shouldn’t have used the word essay in the title – I like writing and I don’t see anything wrong with writing about photography or exploring your ideas in that way. But the photographs are what it’s about.

The website asked me to write something interesting to go with the post so that wot I wrote.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Maybe THM is too young…

Definitely not and it was on the only tv channel he would have watched at the time 🙂

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I’ve seen the photos before Greg and have always enjoyed them. I read the piece and it reminds me of the classic phrase “talking about art is like dancing about architecture”.
    Nice to have an insight to you, but ultimately it is your images that are the eloquent part of the partnership.
    Just keep hitting that shutter release.

DezB
    Free Member

geetee1972 – there was a thread with someone who made incredibly photo-realistic sketches of bike components (amongst other things).

Wasn’t so much MrSmith getting snooty about a young lad making a pencil drawing of his watch pic, as the Jeff Koons being sued thing. stunning

funkmasterp

I’ve not read the essay but I love the photography.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Wasn’t so much MrSmith getting snooty about a young lad making a pencil drawing of his watch pic, as the Jeff Koons being sued thing

I was just referencing 2 extreme examples (high profile and low profile) of IP theft. It happens all the time because people think it’s ok as it’s just a photograph.

There is a whole new issue of moral rights when people’s likenesses are involved but I’ll save that for another day, maybe for one of ColdplayLovers threads. 🙄

nickc

because people think it’s ok as it’s just a photograph.

I don’t think people make a conscious decision to rip photographer’s work off, I think they probably just give it a moment’s thought as photo’s are so ubiquitous. (not arguing whether that’s right or wrong though) There’s also the thorny issue (not in Smith’s case where it’s strict/obvious copy) of where Reproduction stops, and Art starts…Koons/Rodgers as an example or any number of artists who use other’s images in their art.

redthunder
    Free Member

Good stuff.

Screw the rule of thirds 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Pretentious photography essay what I wrote’ is closed to new replies.