Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Prescription riding glasses advice needed
  • pantsonfire
    Free Member

I am having to bow to the inevitable I need to start wearing prescription glasses whilst riding. This morning at Rivington Healey Nab downhill course I went aris over t1t when I couldnt see how big a drop was. Its the one about half way down the black run a drop down to a right hand turn just look for the blood stain on the tree straight on.

I am looking for some gogs that have the optical insert because my prescription is changing quite quick and I reckon it will be cheaper than getting the whole lenses changed every 6 months.

Also I have a round face and the really curved glasses just dont fit me so to sum up what I am looking for is glasses with a RX prescription insert that fit a fat face for less than a ton.

Any ideas or links or ones to avoid would be appreciated

garnyam
    Free Member

Just got some of these-
    CRC
    Then sent prescription frame to these-
    Vita Optical
    Total price about £30.
    Frames look pretty good for the price, still waiting on prescription frame coming back, so can’t comment on biking performance.

pantsonfire
    Free Member

garnyam have you tried on the glasses, are they very close fitting. I have a head shaped like a melon so I can see me getting some frames that are more a traditional shape. Let me know how they are when you get the prescrip lense back.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Check what prescription any glasses you buy are suitable for. I know a lot only go up to a certain amount which might be an issue if your prescription is changing.

garnyam
    Free Member

Not sure if these would fit your swede, I’ve just tried them on and they seem like they would fit a bit wider face (I’m no pin head).BTW the white frames are more silver if you order some.

pantsonfire
    Free Member

ebygomm – Member

Check what prescription any glasses you buy are suitable for. I know a lot only go up to a certain amount which might be an issue if your prescription is changing.

Do you mean the numbers on the presription form my most recent prescription has the following numbers for the right eye which is the problem eye, distance -1.75,-1.50,83.0 near -0.75,-1.50,83.0. I have no idea what that means is it going to mean I have trouble getting the RX insert to my prescription.

pantsonfire
    Free Member

garnyam – Member

Not sure if these would fit your swede, I’ve just tried them on and they seem like they would fit a bit wider face (I’m no pin head).BTW the white frames are more silver if you order some.

Is there any chance you could measure them from side to side at the hige then I could compare them to my current sungogs which are 140mm. It might be worth me ordering a pair at only £14.99 just to try them out.

garnyam
    Free Member

Nee bother.
    130mm at the hinges, which is the widest point.

pantsonfire
    Free Member

Bum they arent going to fit cheers for measuring anyway

DrDolittle
    Free Member

I ordered three pairs of insert specs from crc recently, and had to send them all back as the inserts were almost touching my eyeballs when I tried them on. If you have a big nose they’d probably be fine though.

DeeJay
    Free Member

I have various glasses – even use contacts ocasionally – these are £40 with the adapter and 3 lenses and if I am using the contacts I only need to remove the adapter.

If you want reactolight type then the price shoots up – I have some Rudy Projects which are very fast changing and again have the removable insert

edit – internally 135mm – quite flexible though

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Try these – waaaaaaay more expensive than previously suggested options, but substantially less than, say, going down the Oakley route.

I have a pair and they’re not bad – not up to Oakley quality, but they look and feel like a “normal” pair of sports sunnies. Just a thought.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Do you mean the numbers on the presription form my most recent prescription has the following numbers for the right eye which is the problem eye, distance -1.75,-1.50,83.0 near -0.75,-1.50,83.0. I have no idea what that means is it going to mean I have trouble getting the RX insert to my prescription.

Yes, the numbers on your prescription, you should be ok at that strength, it’s about -4 distance when your options start getting more limited iirc.

It’s a good point about distance between eye and lens. On any slightly curved glasses my eyelashes tend to brush against the lens as it is, so an insert style frame would be useless for me.

pantsonfire
    Free Member

It’s a good point about distance between eye and lens. On any slightly curved glasses my eyelashes tend to brush against the lens as it is, so an insert style frame would be useless for me.

Thats my problem I borrowed a pair of curved specs off a mate and my eyelashes rubbing against the lense drove me mad within seconds. Looks like I will have to go with a traditional pair of prescription sunnies with plastic frames.

Thanks for your help guys

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Prescription riding glasses advice needed’ is closed to new replies.