Viewing 36 posts - 81 through 116 (of 116 total)
  • Preparing for winter – what you doin' ?
  • Elfinsafety
    Free Member

How often does that actually happen? Once or twice a decade?

Come on. Sussex ffs… 😆

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Ahhh!

molgrips
    Free Member

Why don’t you ask him before presuming?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Oh come on Mol; he in’t alf overexagerrating things!

One time, right, i almost coon’t get hom,e from the pub such was the blizzard.

I made it though, due to perseverance and the remarkable indefatigable* Human Spirit and that. 🙂

(* I don’t even think this is the correct word in this context cos I’m laughing so much at the nonsense here)

Good thing I haddunt bought a kebab. It wooduv got cold and i’duv had to put it in the microwave. 😐

Sussex! Ha ha! Makes it sound like Alaska ffs! 😆

Maybe you can organise air-drops of vital supplies, like butter and sugar and Pot Noodles.

Ooh, but what flavour though? 😕

Oh life is so difficult sometimes…. 🙁

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Elfin old chap. Last two years it has happened actually. Before that about 5 years ago. I quite like it. The crispness of snow, quiet streets, kids playing etc… But some of us actually have to be mobile for our jobs.. Sorry and all that.

But the kebab shop did stay open. Result.

samuri
    Free Member

What am I doing? Not much really. I live in Britain, it doesn’t really get that bad.

I’ve got my hacksaw ready for when the boiler packs in and I’ve been looking for winter tyres (for my car) on ebay in case it snows a lot but since I ride into work virtually every day anyway that’s probably not a hugely worthwhile investment.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

How did you get stuck for two weeks down south? No shovel to shovel your car out.

Incredible melodrama.

molgrips
    Free Member

No-one’s saying it’s like Alaska or something terrible. It just happens sometimes that the roads are not passable for a day or two. That’s all. Happened here the last three years on the trot, twice last year but we weren’t here for one of them.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Snowed like **** here for last two yrs, didn’t do anything then won’t do anything this time! Plenty of coal always in and if it got really bad I could always burn the shed on the old fire!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Molgrips – apparantly two weeks for stoatsbrother

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

The road darling. And living at the top of a steep hill with a crap r/w drive car on summer tyres… But actually I wasn’t stuck. Nicked my wife’s 4×4. So she was stuck instead. 🙂

In fact the dealer of the car I had then said that none of their staff got in for a week with their company cars… Guess the marque.

The point is with proper preparation it isn’t an issue.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

But some of us actually have to be mobile for our jobs.. Sorry and all that.

You are making a bit of a meal out of it though in’t you? Come on, be honest.

And I’m sure, if it were vital, that you wooduv bin provided with a suitable vehicle which could cope with such treacherous conditions.

Makes me laugh when people in this country can’t deal with a bit of snow and cold. They seem to manage in Norway, Sweden, Russia (and Canada!) and places where it’s proper cold in winter, but a few flakes here, and everything grinds to a halt and people make a big deal out of it. Use a bit of snow as an excuse to bunk off work. Lazy bastards. Shoot them and replace them with foreign workers who would do the job propply without complaining people this country too bloody soft.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Last yr before Christmas we went to a gig in Notts, it was snowing heavily when we left fir the gig, no snow in Notts when we arrived, no snow when we left. However ooop north in sheff the train got cancelled so we couldn’t get home! 2 taxi rides later at 3am we made it! Next morning, White out, foot of fresh pow on the lawn, car wasn’t going anywhere, no taxis, and no buses running. Kids were stranded at grandmas, they loved it we went for an afternoon in the pub!! Result!

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Elfin… Fair points… But I’m not an employee. No one provides me with transport. And those inconvenient patients kept being ill.

Now if you were talking about the wimpy attitudes of teachers and schools to closing at the drop of a hat…

samuri
    Free Member

The road darling. And living at the top of a steep hill with a crap r/w drive car on summer tyres… But actually I wasn’t stuck. Nicked my wife’s 4×4. So she was stuck instead.

My boss at the time lived at the bottom of a steep hill. Her husband had a BMW of some description and one of those big stupid Porsche 4×4’s. She had an old 4×4 TT. He waved her goodbye one morning, confident that since he had a 4×4 he would be at work bright and breezy while all the other peasants were wallowing around in the snow and set off up the hill. Half way up because he was driving like a cock (her words), he slammed it into the kerb and snapped one of the suspension struts.

So she had to pick him up in her TT and drive him to work.

I loved that story.

northdownsouth
    Free Member

Sh******g a brick reading this thread- first Canadian winter coming up! Doubt its any worse than East Lancs though if I’m honest 😀

jools182
    Free Member

In answer to the op’s question, I’ll be crying and mourning our lost summer

Northwind

northdownsouth – Member

Sh******g a brick reading this thread- first Canadian winter coming up! Doubt its any worse than East Lancs though if I’m honest

Depends where in Canada doesn’t it. And also if there’s a winter olympics on 😉 But it’s entirely possible you’re about to enter the Underworld.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Got some 31″ BFG’s to go on the landy. Not that I got stuck last year on pirelli’s, but meh.

Suspect that after all the hype and buildup the snow might be a bit of a letdown this year.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Nothing to do here, radiators got flushed back in the summer, new boiler fitted back in Aug (I was due for all this, nothing to do with winter etc.)

Vans just off for it’s annual MOT and has had new tyres on the front and pads too, everything else works fine and dandy, Smartie is as sweet as a nut as ever so nothing to do there, MrsBouys car fine too although she had her wing mirror knocked off whilst reversing..

Grass cut, large sunlounger furniture from the garden packed away with the flipflop chairs still available for late Oct/Nov warm days.

All good down on the coast.

hora
    Free Member

Bought two Toyo Snowprox tyres for the drivewheels (FWD).

On the grit- where did you buy it from? Best to get it now before it sells out/becomes expensive.

Loft insulation should be easy (i.e. watch where you put your feet and where proper gloves- but wheres best to buy the big rolls from?

BadlyWiredDog

I thought, briefly, about fixing my central heating which broke down about four years ago now. Then I checked my hat drawer instead.

ianv
    Free Member

Booking a ferry to the continent for nov/ early December. South of France should be reasonably temperate. 😀

cranberry
    Free Member

No great preparations here, as I already have a Land Rover.

I will need to check the batteries in the remote control for the Landy’s diesel powered heater though. I do enjoy climbing into a nice, warm, defrosted car on a cold winter’s morning.

🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

No special prep here. Might see if I can get the fuel heater workign but last year the lack of moving diesel gave me a wonderful ride to work:

The way forward by j.buckle, on Flickr

Duggan

I’ll probably buy some ready-brek but that’s it really

ransos
    Free Member

I bought winter tights and a jacket in the Aldi sale. If it gets really bad, I might use the MTB for commuting, instead of the road bike.

molgrips
    Free Member

Year before last when it snowed a lot down in the South East I think it was mid-week, so I was in my hotel which is about 3 miles from where I worked. I had my bike with me with snow tyres, so I decided to ride on the pavement. It took me about 40 mins though as the pavement was so bumpy and iced up it was like riding over rocks.

emsz
    Free Member

Bought some damarts last year, so I’m set! 😆

binners

The garage at the bottom of our road has prepared for winter by…. and unlike Theresa May, I’m really not making this up….. getting rid of all the coal, kindling and stuff for the numerous houses with open fires, and replacing it all with…….

Disposable barbecues and charcoal! ****ing disposable barbecues and charcoal! I kid you not. Stacks of them! On the strength of the sun being briefly out a week ago.

Its East Lancashire. In October. What will we be requiring? But of course… a ****ing barbecue!!

So you’ve no coal then? Erm… no! We’ve got charcoal. Erm…. Yes, I can see that. Not much use though is it you ****ing numpty!!!

Big-Dave
    Free Member

Having a BBQ in the snow sounds like a gloriously mad and fun thing to do for some reason. I may well try it if we do get snow this year.

molgrips
    Free Member

Put the charcoal on the fire – simple. Or just put one in each room in the middle of the floor.

binners

That does indeed sound good fun Dave. But its more likely that from now until May, we’ll just get that perpetual grey, fine drizzle that just feels like you’re stood in a cloud.

And that really isn’t barby weather 🙁

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’m mainly panicking, with a little bit of stressing out shoved in for good measure.

transporter13
    Free Member

I might consider putting a jumper on….once it snows

yesiamtom
    Free Member

The problem is not the tiny bit of snow that blocks us southern-ponces in. Its the fact the country just doesnt nkow how to deal with these things. My road turned to ice last year – doesnt matter if you have a 4×4 only studded tyres will grip on ice.

Get off your high horses for god sake. Being prepared is just that – being prepared. If people want to spend a little to feel good about the coming seasons (instead of thinking about the next 6 months of rain) let them!

Viewing 36 posts - 81 through 116 (of 116 total)

The topic ‘Preparing for winter – what you doin' ?’ is closed to new replies.