Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Praxis bottom bracket
  • chrisclarke
    Free Member

Has anyone any experience of these bottom brackets? Looking to convert camber as first one lasted three months and at £60 a go going to be a dear year.

yoshimi

Is yours a PF30?

I’m just having to have mine replaced on a Stumpjumer – 6 weeks 😯

Gone for a Hope stainless steel, mainly as it was what the nice guys at Leisure Lakes offered me, hopefully will be better

Only heard good things about the Praxis ones tho

chrisclarke
    Free Member

Yes PF30 looking at Sram info should be greased after every wet ride, the way it’s going that’s every ride.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I had been reasonably positive in my opinion of it in the past, but the bearings have died in about 5 months.

I know they are the same size as a Hope BB bearing, that’s what I would be replacing it with. The design of how it works is good, but let down by not very good bearings.

michaelbowden

My Praxis has been in my Stumpy FSR for a year now. No idea on mileage but ridden all through the winter.

It uses standard size bearing too, so when it does die I can just replace them.

theotherjonv

Just bought a frame with a PF30 BB that needs conversion to a shimano 24mm axle.

Reading the above, is it worth buying an adaptor (I think this one fits?)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/chris-king-press-fit-conversion-kit/rp-prod110642

or should i save the money and go straight to a Praxis system?

warns74
    Free Member

The original adapters in my self-build stumpy FSR frame (PF30, HTII BB and XT cranks) lasted 1.5 rides before it pulled itself out of the frame on the drive side! I replaced it with a Praxis Works and only ridden it a couple of times since but no issues this far. Seems to generally get very good reviews and the mechanic in the shop had used them before and had good feedback.

Id go with Praxis or the Hope option and wouldn’t use adapters again.

TimCotic
    Free Member

Praxis BB on my Salsa Spearfish with XT M780 crank for about 7 months now – no complaints yet. I didn’t know what to go for as I really didn’t like the idea of Press-Fit BB, but Praxis seemed the best idea at the time. It was about 60 quid from Hargroves at Totton Southampton.

theotherjonv

Spearfish as well. Do you happen to know what BB size, hargroves have 68 and 73mm listed as options?

Are the Praxis bearings replaceable, or when they fail does the whole thing get binned?

rene59
    Free Member

You can replace the bearings but this will invalidate the warranty provided by Praxis, they recommend you replace the whole BB.

theotherjonv

Eh?

So if you have to replace the whole BB anyway, what does it matter if it invalidates the warranty – not a lot of point in a warranty for an item that’s just got binned?

michaelbowden

theotherjonv – Member

Eh?

So if you have to replace the whole BB anyway, what does it matter if it invalidates the warranty – not a lot of point in a warranty for an item that’s just got binned?

^^ditto

rene59
    Free Member

MODIFY BEARINGS – Can I swap out or upgrade my bearings in my BB?
    This is really a two part answer. If the BB is modified or changed from its original state, then the warranty is void. This includes pulling/changing your bearings. Having said that, yes, technically it can be done using professional grade puller/press. So when your bearings reach their End of Life, you simply have to make a choice. If you want warranty/support, buy a new BB. If you don’t care about a warranty and want to change/press your own choice bearings, then go head. We just have to be clear that when you do this, the Praxis warranty has been voided. Early versions of the Conversion BB used a 6805 bearing with black plastic end/spindle caps. Newer versions use a 2437 bearings with our current orange outer seal.

Sounds daft but this is taken from their website.

TimCotic
    Free Member

Aren’t I nice? I’ve just been into the garage and the BB shell is 73mm.
    Keith at Perfect Balance reckons he can put new bearings in when the time comes – but that remains to be seen. He probably can. 🙂

Got pics of your Fish? Mines on the MTBR Salsa forums. It’s the orange with white fork and wheels. Strangely, I don’t like bling and bright colours, but all those bits were ebay bargains at the time. If one had been avail at the time, I would have gone for a restrained black or green with a black fork LOL. 😀

theotherjonv

No, not yet, ‘cos I’m picking it up monday and trying to line up the bits i need to get it running before next weekend.

But it’ll be an orange one, with white fork, old style with the bendy stays, not the new split pivot, but I’m not good enough to justify white wheels!!

TimCotic
    Free Member

Sounds like it could get confused with mine – we’ll have to avoid eachother! 😉

Actually no prob: I’ve just taken off the white Fox with straight steerer to put on another bike and I’ve replaced it with a tapered BLACK Reba.

rone

Gf’s praxis has out lasted my pure pf30 setup. Hers is still going strong, same bikes circa 2k miles.

chrisclarke
    Free Member

Thanks all, Praxis it’s going to be.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

It’s probably the best solution to a stupid problem that shouldn’t exist.

That or the new Hope one.

chrisclarke
    Free Member

Update on the Praxis D/S bearing has gone. Now looking at replacement bearings possibly ceramic.

captainsideburns
    Free Member

I got about 12 months out of mine before the nds bearing went… 2500 ish kilometres, plent of wet rides, no servicing.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Praxis bottom bracket’ is closed to new replies.