• This topic has 52 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by ehrob.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Power violence (music content)
  • boxwithawindow
    Free Member

So I’m hoping someone can help me out, I’ve been listening to a few power violence records and I’m enjoying myself but.

I’m reaching a dead end a bit.

Can anyone reccomend maybe 3 British power violence albums that I can listen to tonight as like an “introduction to power Violence” to set me on my way down the rabbit he please?

All advice welcome

Cheers.

tomparkin

I can’t, but I’m slightly agog to see whether anyone (else, other than OP, of course) even knows what power violence is.

My money is on some obscure sub-sub-sub-branch of the sprawling family tree of metal.

DezB
    Free Member

Whatever it is, I don’t like it.

ehrob

No specific albums to recommend but check out Gay Panic Defence and Endless Swarm. Bit much for me but enjoy! You’ll probably turn up a few more bands if you dig out a few splits they’ve done with others.

Not powerviolence but in a similar vein, Test Switch Isolator are worth a listen too.

sirromj

Discogs is your friend.

https://www.discogs.com/label/8448-Power-Violence?sort=year&sort_order=desc

Currently listening to “Chemicals” by Deadlock. Kinda like it, not into it though.

Discogs says the style is ‘speedcore’, just user their filters to find more:
    https://www.discogs.com/search/?style_exact=Speedcore&country_exact=UK

Filter to the 2020s if you like too:
    https://www.discogs.com/search/?style_exact=Speedcore&country_exact=UK&decade=2020

something from that above list that kind of thing? (this one closer to something I could listen to, ‘overload of cute’ actually quite like).

Many of the entries on discogs have links to youtube videos – often the people who put the stuff up are worth subscribing to if they do a lot of what you’re into.

boxwithawindow
    Free Member

Thanks to those who have contributed, I am thoroughly enjoying gay panic defence.

I am slowly learning how to effectively use discogs I think you may have just shown me the light there. Cheers.

To those interested power violence is indeed a sub genre of punk music which in recent years, especially in the u.k has been combined with comedy and sheer joy to create something truly special. And is well worth a listening you like music.

And to the person who went out of their way to tell the world they dont like music they’ve never heard I wish you happiness friend.

sirromj

Ah I got the wrong power violence there then 🙂

hatter

Anything on Slap-A-Ham records is a fairly safe bet.

ricko1984
    Free Member

Yeah I thought power violence was a sub genre of noise?

Now I realise that’s power electronics

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I know the guys from Endless Swarm!
    Not too up on this genre but there are loads of gigs around here in Edinburgh (in normal life).

Try Wheelchair Wheelchair Wheelchair Wheelchair

sc-xc

And to the person who went out of their way to tell the world they dont like music they’ve never heard I wish you happiness friend.

To be fair to Dezb, he’s probably one of the most musically open minded round here.

egb81
    Free Member

Never quite sure what constitutes Power Violence as a genre but I’ve seen Nails tagged with it. ‘Abandon all Life’ is a short and brutal masterpiece. I would call it grindcore but I think that’s an argument for purists, of which I’m not.

egb81
    Free Member

Oh, and there’s a blog called Dead Air at the Pulpit, which is terribly written but highlights loads of new, obscure bands in a variety of heavy genres, including power violence. Bandcamp is also really good for finding new stuff as there are tags for all sorts of things.

DezB
    Free Member

sx-sc ain’t wrong 🙂
    I’m beginning to wonder if I should check out this genre with the awful name..

DezB
    Free Member

Googled Gay Panic Defence. What a hideous name for a band.
    Unfortunately when it comes to the music, sound like stuff that was going on back in the 80s. Bit like local band Ad Nauseam (who’s guitarist “Anarchy Brian” I once had a fight with, happy days 😀 ) Oh they’re on Youtube! .https://youtu.be/J2hsE5FEbw8. (Terrible)
    Nearest I have is Discharge

CountZero

Da fuc is ‘power violence’ when it’s at home? Some sort of millennial version of thrash?
    I dunno, kidz of today, etc…

matt_outandabout

Sounds like Radio 3 should give it a spin late on a Sunday evening.

ajt123
    Free Member

@CountZero

Power Violence has been around for decades.

Related micro-genres include 1st wave screamo / skramz / emo-power-violnce

ajt123
    Free Member

Jerome’s Dream had a great album out a few years ago. Think that may have revitalised the genre

CountZero

Power Violence has been around for decades.

Yeah, and so have I, but this is the first time I’ve ever heard of it, and I’m not exactly ignorant of most music genres.
    *sigh* the more things change, the more they stay the same.
    Yup, just had a brief listen to Gay Panic Defense – nothing new there except the label on the tin.
    Napalm Death were doing similar but much much better.

leffeboy

the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Wasnt that Rush 🙂 ?

And good thread, now seeing Discogs in a new light

militantmandy
    Free Member

I know the guys from Endless Swarm!
    Not too up on this genre but there are loads of gigs around here in Edinburgh (in normal life).

Try Wheelchair Wheelchair Wheelchair Wheelchair

I think everyone knows Dave!

DezB
    Free Member

I’m not exactly ignorant of most music genres.

Er, how would you know if you hadn’t heard of them?! 😂

Blackflag
    Free Member

Power Violence started with the Slap A Ham label and Charred Remains / Man Is the Bastard. Excellent stuff.

In the UK DIY scene its sort of merged with the grindcore bands. GPD and Endless Swarm are great shouts. Give The Afternoon Gentlemen or Gets Worse a listen. Both are pretty good and most excellent live.

Blackflag
    Free Member

Not to everyones taste im sure. But this is as good as it gets in UK PV. Amazing band.

sc-xc

^ at least when we used to go and watch Napalm Death the crowd looked like they were enjoying themselves.

Mind you, I do like the lyrics of that band above.

ehrob

i am genuinely in a band with dave from endless swarm

DezB
    Free Member

when we used to go and watch Napalm Death the crowd looked like they were enjoying themselves.

Power Violence….

or Gentle Head Nodding 😀

the-muffin-man

LOL at Power Violence!

Isn’t Thrash Metal cool enough now! 🙂

swavis

This thread started to remind me of this 🤣

maybe NSFW

Blackflag
    Free Member

Blah blah, kids today, blah blah, music was better when i was younger, blah blah this is sort of like some other stuff i can remember so i’ll dismiss it cos i’m old and no longer relevant.

the-muffin-man

Blah blah, kids today, blah blah, music was better when i was younger,

Naaah – thrash metal was shit when I was younger too! 🙂

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Makes The Dead Kennedy’s sound musical…is about the kindest thing I can think of to say about it! 🤣

ehrob

ok boomers

Blackflag
    Free Member

ok boomers

ha ha beat me to it.

ehrob – whats the band you are in?

sc-xc

ok boomers

LOL. I love DIY punk, get most of my records through bandcamp or distos like TNS. My comment on that ^ was nothing to do with it being modern, it just isn’t my thing…and like it or not, it’s been done muxb better over the years.

That was just core by numbers.

Blackflag
    Free Member

That was just core by numbers.

Fair enough if its not your thing. Its not exactly mine either. BUT id suggest its far superior to early Napalm Death (an obvious and lazy comparison made by others). Its much much tighter and the riffs and dynamics follow a far less obvious patten. Some of the stop / start / tempo changes are very impressive. I first saw napalm death around 86/87 and then quite regularly for a good few years and they were never as tight or precise as the afternoon gentlemen.

sc-xc

OK, I’ll give you the stop start stuff…the drummer looked more like a jazz musician at times 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

its far superior

Odd phrase to use concerning music..?! It’s not superior to anything I’ve ever heard. Then again,I don’t think music is a competition, you either like it or you don’t. And if you don’t its shit 😂 That’s the language of music 😊

Blackflag
    Free Member

So you can say its shit (less good than something else) but not superior (better than something else)?

You really haven’t thought that through have you? Now go back to reminiscing about how everything was better when you were (a lot) younger.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Power violence (music content)’ is closed to new replies.