Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Possibly stupid road / cross question
  • flyingmonkeycorps

Can I put CX tyres on my cheap Carrera roadie? I’ve a commute route I’d be quite happy riding on it, but there are a few muddy bits which are a bit hairy with full slicks on, especially ones made from hard plastic!

Looks like there should be clearance in the frame, but I’m not sure what width the wheels are. I think the current tyres are about 23mm.

Onzadog
    Free Member

If you’ve got clearance through the brakes and the frame, it will be fine. You’ll probably lose the qr function on the brakes but that’s not the end of the world if you’re not taking wheels out.

flyingmonkeycorps

Nah I can live with that, the only time the wheels will need to come out is if I get a puncture. I’ll just need to remember to put ’em back in the frame before pumping them up…

wwaswas

biggest issue will be brake arches getting bunged up with mud and you grinding to a halt – there won’t be much clearance twixt top of tyre and brake. You can get long drop brakes (designed for uise with ‘guards) which help with tyre clearance but it’s still an issue if it gets muddy.

flyingmonkeycorps

I might give it a crack and see what happens, there’s not going to be much thick, claggy mud just a few sections of slippery stuff.

If I like it / find I need to spend more money to make it work then I’ll probably just end up investing in a CX bike.

mrmo
    Free Member

You can get long drop brakes

yes you can but they don’t really have anything to do with midguards as such, they exist for frames which have been designed with greater clearances for mudguards. If you have a close clearance frame they won’t help.

Really depends on the frame as to whether tyres will fit, only way to know is to try.

davetrave
    Free Member

The other option is just to get some 23-25mm tyres with a decent file tread (or similar pattern). I’ve happily ridden local disused railway line paths and other unmaintained lanes in simlar sorts of muddy conditions without any problems using Maxxis Re-fuse training tyres, just runa slightly lower pressure as well.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Possibly stupid road / cross question’ is closed to new replies.