Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Porco Rosso – what a film.
  • RustySpanner

Been waiting for 21 years to see this after reading about it in Super Play magazine when it came out.

What a fantastic, wonderful film – the detail, the characterisation, the superb story.
    Yes, animation has moved on a bit, but it’s all drawn so beautifully you don’t really mind the slightly jerky action scenes.

Who’d have thought a cartoon about the adventures of a seaplane flying pig could be so much fun and so moving?

Best thing I’ve seen in years.

Klunk
    Free Member

it’s the eyebrows don’t you know 🙂

professor_fate
    Free Member

Welcome to the world of Studio Ghibli, it’s ace… Porco Rosso is cracking – has real comedic element to it at times.

RustySpanner

I’ve seen most of the later ones that had a decent UK release, but never managed to get to see this one 😀

I’m so glad I did – it’s possibly the best of the lot, tbh.

I confess my bottom lip wobbled a bit at the end – I think I’ll assume a very happy ending in this case. 🙂

mtbfix

I’ve seen it a while ago and failed to be impressed. Might ave to revisit it. Hoping they play My Neighbour Totoro as it may appeal to micromtbfixlette.

Rusty, if Porco Rosso got grit n your eye, wait until you see Graveyard of the Fireflies.

RustySpanner

Rusty, if Porco Rosso got grit n your eye, wait until you see Graveyard of the Fireflies.

I can barely cope with re-reading The Silver Sword by Ian Serraillier these days and I Am David sets me off every time.

I think Grave of the Fireflies might be a bit too much. 🙂

Hoping they play My Neighbour Totoro as it may appeal to micromtbfixlette.

Catbus!

Want one.

Klunk
    Free Member

Grave of the Fireflies is Brutal, and is a bit of an oddity for Ghibli, as it’s “real world” based as opposed to the usual fantasy/escapist stuff.

CountZero

Porco Rosso, My Neigbor Totoro, Kiki’s Delivery Service, Howl’s Moving Castle, Spirited Away, The Cat Returns…
    All absolutely brilliant films, true works of art. Totoro’s probably my favourite, but Porco Rosso is such fun as well.
    I’ve not seen …Fireflies, I don’t think I could bear it, it’s a heartbreaking film, by all accounts.
    Oh, and welcome to the world of Ghibli and Myazaki, it’s never too late to fall under their spell! 😀

Klunk
    Free Member

worked on a game with a ghibli studio look unfortunately it was canned but had a lot of fun watching the films at work, reference honest 😉 and creating the art assets to match the ghibli look and palette.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

do you mean this:

Available on PS3

seadog101

Seadog The Youngest and I watched Howls Moving Castle together recently. Brilliant, and we now want to sit down and have a Ghibli-Fest watching the whole lot.

Should we do this in chronological release date order?

Klunk
    Free Member

you can but it’s not really necessary, without the internet you would have trouble working out the order.

do you mean this:

na, it never reached the light of day.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

It was going well up until the point they paired up with Disney.

mtbfix

The Cat Returns follows on, very loosely, from Whisper of the Heart.

AlexSimon

ooh Super Play – now there was a magazine!
    (Although it cost me a lot of money getting all those JRPGs on import)

Yes, Gibli films are amazing. Love watching them with my sons.

Lifer
    Free Member

Princess Mononoke is my favourite Ghibli film by a long way, other Anime favourites are Akira (unashamed fanboy), Jin-Roh, Sword of the Stranger, and Afro Samurai:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St9RnYZCrNY[/video]

sailingneil
    Free Member

Studio Ghibli films are amazing, wonderful worlds to immerse yourself in. My personal favourite is Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind closely followed by Castle in the sky.

sobriety
    Free Member

Ghibli films are amazing, Totoro was released originally in Japan as a double feature with grave of the fireflys after it…

Jin Ro is brilliant, just don’t get the dubbed version!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Porco Rosso – what a film.’ is closed to new replies.