Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Popup caravans
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Pros and cons vs normal caravans?

And please DO NOT turn this thread into an anti-caravan rant, I've heard it all.

EDIT: I mean folding caravans, the ones with hard sides that collapse into a trailer.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Had a look at one of these for the first time at the weekend. Looked pretty good to me. Pros that I could see:
    You can fit it in a normal sized garage for storage
    should be more economical to tow – less wind resistence etc.
    reasonably quick to fold out. The one i looked at seemed pretty well designed – wardrobe folds down with all the clothes in it etc.

Cons – it wouldn't be that easy to carry bikes in it with it folded down, if that's what you were planning to do.
    HTH

wwaswas

contractor who worked for me said his one was great and a lot easier to store. Only real issue is that everything is (obviously) pretty much below waist height so you get less storage and they tend to be slightly noiser in wind etc than a 'proper' 'van.

I think I'd consider one – my current Bailey Ranger is 'kin huge (7m long) and a pain to store.

lowey

Mum and Dad had one for 20 years. As above, dead easy to store and tow, it popped up and you could have it all ready for occupation in about 15 mins.

I'd consider one, though the level of finishes etc inside was not up the same standard as a permanently fitted interior.

molgrips
    Free Member

How long did it take to fold out? And was any re-stowage of stuff required at all? Of course you have to do this anyway in a normal caravan to an extent.

I did want to carry bikes in it. Otherwise, there's no way of bring them besides a car roof rack, is there?

wwaswas

molgrips – you could look at whether it's possible to mount a bike rack on the roof of the caravan?

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Yep – less storage, although the one i looked at had a couple of cupboards that hooked onto the sides when they were up, and you just unhooked them and placed them in the centre aisle when storing/towing.

Edit: didn't see the process of folding it out, although the folks who owned it reckoned about 5-10 minutes, plus then attaching the awning etc.
    Re bike carrying, maybe a two-bike (gutter-style) rack could be attached to the front towing bar triangle? This one had a plastic box attached there (for carrying the gas canister), which I think could be removed (and carry the canister in the toilet area instead)

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm.

Haven't got a lot of room to store – can only get about 14 or 16ft long van in beside our house. Plus I am going to to go super cheap ebay special, and there seem to be far fewer folders at that end of the market.

To be honest though our biggest problem is getting it to our house. We'd have to back it down a long hill between rows of parked cars, then around a corner and up our sloping driveway.. 😕

thehustler
    Free Member

What have you camped with b4?, I only ask as we always camped with a really big tent (outwell nebraska XXL) until last year when we changed to a caravan, we bought a small one of ebay to see how we coped and enjoyed it but found the space restricting, this year we have traded up to a larger van and decent awning which is great, anyway back to point if you are used to a big tent then a folder might be alot better for you than a small fixed van

rootes1

dandy trailer caravan/tents are cool (for a caravan…)

molgrips
    Free Member

We used to caravan loads as kids. Going to races as a grownup I used a variety of tents from 2 man to massive mothership types. I am heartily sick of packing up and unpacking the damn things, and storing all the pots and pans and crap in the garage. The idea is to have a caravan by the house ready stocked to go and we can just pack clothes and whatnot then hitch up and go. And be able to sit around nice and warm inside instead of having to lie on the ground etc.

So I'm used to the space. In any case you live outside unless it's raining…

wwaswas

re: access to the house – Unless you're very used to reversign a trailer I'd work on the principle that anything more than 10 yards in a straight line is going to be the exception rather than the rule…

We use a storage facility. It costs about £250 a year, has 'daylight' access, security etc. The biggest advantage is that the world can't see you're away because the 'vans not in the front garden anymore. It might be worth looking to see what's available locally to you?

molgrips
    Free Member

Wwaswas – I do appreciate that it's going to be extremely difficult. I've never towed a van but I grew up with it so I think I can have a good old stab. The only think that makes me think it MIGHT be doable is that it's downhill, so that should help with the straight line part.

The only other option is to drive down the hill and then manhandle the thing into the driveway. Another reason why I should get a small van… Or maybe an electric mover…

Van storage is also attractive because there really isn't a lot of room, and it'd be a bit intrusive there. Neighbours might moan.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Popup caravans’ is closed to new replies.