Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • Poll – Do you switch between lockout/climb/descend/open modes on your forks and shocks?
  • mintimperial

Nah. Always forget to unlock so just leave everything set to “fun” and spin up the hills nice and steady.

bones
    Free Member

Same as esher

vincienup
    Free Member

Fork, no it stays open (nicely set up Rev) . No climb issues.
    Shock: currently have a plain Float so no real adjustment. Just about to add a ctd so may play with it for a bit. Zesty doesn’t really need adjustment.
    Older chameleon with RC2 36 Talas: mostly run at middle travel, occasionally long or short.

scaredypants

fork: never alter damping/lock; sometimes dropped in travel if there’s a long climb coming up (balanced against the near-certainty that I’ll forget to raise it for the way down)

shock, never altered during a ride at all (giant maestro, doesn’t really bob so no point IME)

mcnultycop

Not locked me fork out or reduced the travel since I forgot to switch them back and nearly died.

onehundredthidiot

Yep, climb for climbing unless it’s really rough, trail for most stuff that’s not climb and descend for fun stuff.

tom200

I have takes the remote off my fork since I realised I set most of my fasted dh times with it mistakenly locked out. It is a cheapo fork though.

sheeps

Fork…. occasionally for climbing, mostly on the road.
    Shock (ctd)… yes, but mostly in trail

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Pikes are duals so I drop to 130 for climbs, often change to pedal from charger as well
    Shock is CCDBair so no need as it is lush on the way up and the way down

Dropping the front end seems to help me but I’m 42

davosaurusrex

Turner Sultan – Pikes fully open. RP23 fully open as it didn’t make much difference. Recently replaced it with a CCDB inline and the difference between fully open and closed is huge. Sits right up in the travel and barely moves closed, climbs really well. Bobs and climbs like a dog when open but feels coil like going down. Don’t like having to remember but if that’s the price you pay I’m pretty happy with it.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Coil Pikes here on a Blue Pig. I change the travel and the lockout whenever I feel like it during a ride, quite often. Fettle the platform when I set off to match my loaded weight and maybe change the rebound a few times a year to suit the temperature, or maybe if I was wearing a massive pack.

superfli
    Free Member

Fork, no (havent got it now anyway, but never used to with previous)
    Shock, now that I have CTD I do. I use all 3 if terrain suits.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

revs : one click of compression damping all the time never locked out
    rp23: pro pedal when climbing

matt_outandabout

Fork is lockout, only ever used on long road or forest road climbs.

deviant
    Free Member

Never needed to lock out either the shock or forks and I’ve had single pivot designs and DW/Meastro links….also used both Fox and Rockshox forks and shocks…I have yet to experience this mythical ‘pedal bob’….maybe I’ve been lucky, I do however tend to ride a FS differently to a HT so maybe that’s it?…I stand and stomp the pedals on my HT but sit and smoothly spin on a FS.

woodster

I use the TRC on my Devilles on longer climbs/flats and on road. I doubt I’d miss it if it was gone though.

molgrips
    Free Member

Only for road when riding to the trails. I had a rp23 on the 5 and I put it on 3 for road rising then set it to 1when I got to the trails so I could switch between 1 for long flat climbs and open for everything else. If I could be arsed.

The patriot has none of these knobs, and I don’t really care.

Only potentially really useful thing ws the motion control setup on the revs. I had it relatively open when switched on, so it was stiff enough not to budge but would still move on a big hit. The reason this was useful was I also used it on very steep nadgery stuff to effectively prevent fork dive and consequent OTB.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Even with the most efficient pedal platform I’ve felt lock out to be better for hard pedalling, same as descend being better full open and some being better in the middle trail settings, if you tune for one thing it’s hard to tune for all.

So it’s subjective then? Guess we’re okay to be different if that’s the case.

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh yeah.. The xc race bike has a full lockout for the 80mm forks which I hate, because it makes the fork 30% longer.

sbob
    Free Member

Don’t have lockout, but never felt the need. My custom altered forks work nicely with no bob, so I’m happy.

frood
    Free Member

Used to use the propedal lever on the trek fuel. Got a Codeine now, which pedals well enough without having a lever. The only time I’ll consider using a fork lockout is on the singlespeed. the rest of the time IMO lockouts are just irritating.

Yak

No, not usually. My brain can’t cope with such complicated decisions.
    If I know a certain terrain/ride/event demands a certain set-up then I will do that before though.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Open always. If I fiddle mid ride I’ll forget to change it back.

Besides, climb modes and lockouts I’ve never found make any difference to climbing, even with a CCDB. I notice on descent though and prefer open. I’m also used to forks with no lockout. Technique is a fair bit to do with it.

rockstar101
    Free Member

I tend to forget to change the switches…. Leave fork/shock in trail until I’m blowing out my arse on a climb and realise it would be a whole lot easier if I locked everything out, by which time I’m usually near the top. I’m sure I’ll learn one day 😀

warpcow
    Free Member

Never locked out forks. On my last FS (Heckler with a coil DHX5) it’d get a couple more clicks of PP for extended transport sections.

hora
    Free Member

I use the features so that I can access the cool marketing on the fly and my riding is off the hook riding like a boss.

weeksy

On my AM bike it set to
    Shock – Trail
    Forks – Descend

I never … (unless at a TC) change the settings.

My HT
    Forks are 99% open unless a really long dull road climb. Which I try to avoid anyway.

volatilemike
    Free Member

Mine are both open all the time, for one very good reason. I am guaranteed to leave them in climb mode for descending. Every time.

bigperm
    Free Member

Forks very occasionally normally left full open
    shock use all three settings during a ride

mindmap3
    Free Member

The big bike has CCDBa with no climb switch so it stays as is. It bobs a bit, but not enough to worry me and fees great on teh fun bits. I’ve never used the TRC function on my Devilles since I’ve had them whilst riding.

On my hardtail, the 34’s stay in Descend mode. They’ve been fiddled with by Mojo and feel pretty good in this mode all the time.

somouk
    Free Member

I use both quite a bit, lock both if on road, lock the fork and set the shock to Pro pedal on climbs and both open for downhills.

If it’s a techy trail where I don’t have chance to play with the switches I don’t mind leaving them open all the way around the bike isn’t too bobby.

Kryton57

2014 CTD here (newer damper, less dive). I ride my anthem 29 in Trail mode for racing, Open for everything else.

dragon
    Free Member

Yep lock forks (RS Reba) on my hardtail for any smooth paths (tarmac, fireroads and the like) and for climbing & sprinting.

vmgscot

Pikes RCT3 – always open
    Pushed RP23 – mostly open until I rarely remember I have a PP switch
    On a 2011 Yeti 575

DaRC_L

Yes mostly too differentiate between road/fire-road and off-road
    but certain climbs I might lock the back

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Fork – never. Rear shock (Bos Vipr) occasionally turn the TRC on for long road climbs. Wouldn’t miss it if it wasn’t there and off road the bike grips better on steep tech climbs with the shock fully open.

ajt123
    Free Member

When there is a road section between two bits of trail, yes. Otherwise I run it quite soft, but with a bit of low speed compression.

Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Poll – Do you switch between lockout/climb/descend/open modes on your forks and shocks?’ is closed to new replies.