• This topic has 47 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Smee.
Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Political correctness gone mad – ugly people
  • BigDummy
    Free Member

I think there is plenty of scope for hilarity without personal cruelty.

This is obviously grand as an aspiration, but it doesn't seem to be borne out by the evidence. 🙂

So many comics either make jokes at other people's expense, or make jokes at their own expense. You can't make jokes at your own expense on a current affairs programme, so you're going to mostly make jokes about other people, or about "events". Producing stand-up material about "events" is going to involve generalising ruthlessly about groups of people until you've got something funny, whether it's about conservatives, pakistanis or nuclear submariners. Most of the generalising is likely to be problematic for someone you're talking about if they aren't laughing along.

I'd be delighted to have some examples of comics who do sets which don't involve either personal cruelty or prejudiced generalisation and don't basically talk about themselves, mind. 🙂

DaveGr
    Free Member

Girls in groups have pull a pig night as well

Any idea where? I have a <cough> friend who might benefit from this 🙄

hora
    Free Member

So is pull a pig night just a cover for ugly people to pull other ugly people so as to get some action without having to justify themselves?

You've raised a very good point. Funniest thats happened to a friend of mine- woke up looking at unfamiliar artex on the ceilling, looked across, felt utterly dirty and wrong, girl wakes up, matey decides to have 'one more for the road'…even though at this point he is thoroughly sober…girl says 'thank you my Stallion' as hes getting up..

duntmatter
    Free Member

The remark which has now fallen foul of the trust was made by Frankie Boyle

I knew it would be. Go on Frankie!

mudshark
    Free Member

DaveGr – not sure about a pull a pig night but I now of a grab-a-granny if that's of any interest? Not as bad as it sounds as it's in the sort of area where the grannies tend to be quite young….

hora
    Free Member

grannies tend to be quite young….

Wythenshawe Manchester?

Coyote
    Free Member

Not the Grafton Rooms in Liverpool is it? <shudders at the memory>

Smee
    Free Member

Clatty Pats?

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Political correctness gone mad – ugly people’ is closed to new replies.