Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Police Auctions – Any Good ?
  • AgentOrange
    Free Member

Considering going to a Police 'Lost & Found' auction next month. Advertises 'Hundreds of Bikes' without reserve.

I'm on the look out for a cheap winter road bike (or two…!).

Am I likely to find these are just mainly Tesco & Asda 'Specials' ?

Anyone been to one ?

allthepies
    Free Member

I'd never feel comfortable riding on someone's nicked bike. Bad karma 🙂

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I spoke to someone who had picked up an Orange 222 DH bike worth alot of money at the time. However, I don't think he got it for loose change, there will be others there looking to bid for the same quality stuff amongst all the tat.

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

where you find that i wouldnt mind taking a look?

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Any websites with locations?

Ti29er
    Free Member

POLICE. Stop!

BIKES

Hope these 2 links help.

skidartist
    Free Member

Am I likely to find these are just mainly Tesco & Asda 'Specials' ?

99.995% yes. The odd entry level big brand bike and if theres anything better then that would be a surprise. There being enough good bikes to choose from to find something you want and in your size is unlikely. No reason not to look, but I'd get hold of a catalogue first rather than just turn up. The catalogue probably won't have any info on sizing though.

If you do find something you want you only need one other person in the room who knows what it is and wants it and its not a bargain. And given we're discussing this on a very popular cycling forum…….

AgentOrange
    Free Member

HEREPolice Auctions. 😀

BigDummy
    Free Member

A police officer once told me that the chaps who are into bikes go through the stuff before it is sent for auction, pick out anything they fancy and pay "what they reckon it's worth". So anything you might actually want has probably already been sold to a plod for 10% of what you'd be willing to pay for it. Which is nice. 🙂

skidartist
    Free Member

AgentOrange – Member
    HEREPolice Auctions.

Don't make the mistake of giving Wilsons Auctions your email address, they have no concept of "UNSUBSCRIBE"

jezyeti
    Free Member

BigDummy, sadly your wrong on this one, you used to make a donation to police benevolent funds and take said item but things have now changed. I have a friend who regularly see's alot of high end road bikes go unclaimed at his station but most of the bikes are hacks. If buying a bike from the auction it might well be part of a job lot.

organic355
    Free Member

The only time Ive ever been to the police auctions it was just full of Appollos, Saracens and bikes from Tescos!! Complete waste of time.

BigDummy
    Free Member

jezyeti, I stand corrected, and am very glad to hear it. 🙂

Andy

Ahem…well I bought back my (well strictly speaking insurance companies)1997 Kona 853 Explosif with Pace proclass forks from Bumblebee in 2007. It was stolen from my house in Watford in 2001.

Wierdly I'd never heard of bumblebee until a mate sent me a link to my bike (not knowing it was mine!).

Transpires it had been a mile away from my house all along and used as a pub bike by a local scrote. Was retrieved amongst a haul of other stolen goods.

thomthumb
    Free Member

know a guy who has picked up some real bargins (few years back mind)

but cheap enough to buy an entire bike for one component.
    DH bikes for under a ton, etc.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Police Auctions – Any Good ?’ is closed to new replies.