• This topic has 86 replies, 60 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Kuco.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)
  • Poached eggs
  • bsims
    Free Member

what bread for toasting

Farmhouse granary or seed sensations

rene59
    Free Member

I’ve never seen the point of poached eggs really, much better fried, scrambled or boiled.

luket

Fresh eggs are key, but I have had excellent results with supermarket eggs. Just buy the ones with a use buy date as far off as poss. If the eggs are fresh the other tricks are unnecessary but I don’t find stirring does any harm, nor does a drop of vinegar so long as it’s not so much you can taste it.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

You only need to stir if you want those hotel style globe shaped poached eggs, if you do stir AFTER you drop the egg in and before it sets and it’s a gentle swirl rather than a fast stir to gather up the whispy bits and not centrifuge them out.

no vinegar… taints the flavour and just not necessary.

freah eggs if poss but not a deal breaker. But at room temp, not out of the fridge.

break eggs into a Ramakin and lower them into the water as gently as you can. Water shouldn’t be boiling and should be still, I.e. not bubbling. Eggs poach at something like 65 degrees so no need for the water to be boiling. I normally bring to boil, lower heat and leave it for a short time for the temp to drop a bit and the water to calm down. Keep the gas on the lowest for the duration of the poaching.

works for me every time. A very quick and convenient routine. I’ve used egg poaching gadgets before but just another thing to wash and no more convenient in the end, so just use this method.

cinnamon_girl
    jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Are you putting salt in the water? That will break down the white. Use no salt and a little vinegar. As others have said use the freshest eggs you can find. At a simmer for three minutes.

paladin

Just don’t keep your eggs in the fridge

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I like the taste of a little white wine or cider vinegar in my eggs, not a ‘taint’ at all. As Perchy says, the BnM one is great, but I only use it at work as a timesaver,  proper poached eggs in the house.

Fresh eggs, the swirling thing is a no for me, as it means one egg at a time. Who eats one egg?…🤣

alanf
    Free Member

The very fresh eggs business is rubbish.

I keep chickens and even ones that have just hit the hay can be bad poachers.

It’s just luck of the draw.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

cling film and small ramikin – line ramikin with cling film. add salt and pepper and a little butter. crack egg in, lift up edges of cling film and spin so a seal forms.

drop the bag in boiling water. cook for desired time. snip top of cling film and pour our perfect poached egg that doesnt taste of water and vinegar.

theotherjonv

just tried the shell on in hot tap water while the pan comes to a boil, and while it was better and the white mainly stayed with the yolk, the eggs didn’t form into the compact shape I like. Tasted fine though.

No idea on age of eggs but they are stored at RT.

jonnyboi

Jesus, are these eggs to go on Instagram or to be eaten?

Currently eating two, the odd whispy bit makes sod all difference

FuzzyWuzzy

Start with a Le Creuset pan, add 2 litres of Evian water. Using a digital thermometer, get the water to 98.73c

Crack a freshly laid egg in (must still be warm from the hen), wait 2 minutes 48 seconds and enjoy (preferably with home baked sourdough, smashed avocados (from Waitrose unless you have your own tree) and a sprinkling of Cornish sea salt).

Or just use a microwave (if you’re not retired and looking for ways to waste time for little reward).

ton

this morning, I took 3 SUPERMARKET bought eggs out of my fridge.

god knows how long they have been there, I don’t rotate eggs on a bought buy date rota.

I then cooked them how I said over the page.  I then ate them on SUPERMARKET  bought brown bread.

perfect, like always.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

poached egg pan, you can do 4 at a time = perfect poached eggs for me

pocpoc
    Free Member

what bread for toasting

You really need it to be as fresh as possible. Probably best if you grow your own, mill your own, grow some seeds as well.
    So, in summary, you need to live in a windmill with chickens outside otherwise your poached eggs on toast are a waste of time and you’re just letting down your family and everyone you know.

Or, you know, just do what ton says. Works for me and I’m not walking round eternally disappointed with myself.

oikeith

Vinegar in the water and then I wait for all the water to be boiling like its bouncing and then just crack the eggs in as quick as i can and leave for 4mins. A full kettle amount of water in a pan which fills it about half way and no swirling.

kayla1
    Free Member

Poach them in left over pasta tomato sauce and bung the lot on a slice of toast.

theboyneeds
    Free Member

I find spinning the water into a vortex is helped with the use of a whisk. Can normally crack two into  the resulting whirlpool before things slow down. Then off the heat, and for the time it takes the toast to pop.

I’m going to give the egg in water for 20 secs trick a go though!

binners

What speed are you rotating the water at in that vortex though? And how are you measuring that?

You just can’t leave this stuff to chance, you amateur!!

Nico
    Free Member

My recommended method:

I heat the water to almost boiling add a splash of vinegar, and stir the water clockwise.

Crack the egg, and add to the water, usually 3 minutes in the water.

(note: use a very small pan and don’t fill it beyond the depth of a poached egg plus a tiny bit)

binners

McVey has gone. Thats one of my bets in.

perchypanther
    Free Member

And how does she poach her eggs?

pondo

Egg poachy pan thing.

Edit – this is not an answer to Perchy. ^^^

Denis99
    Free Member

Just been to Morrison’s.

12 free range eggs , best date possible chosen.

Sourdough loaf.

Bit of experimentation with all the suggestions, but like the no stirring method and a shallow pan.

submarined
    Free Member

What sort of barbarian keeps eggs in the fridge?

Denis99
    Free Member

Conan?

DezB
    Free Member

My dad used to poach eggs in an egg poacher

(eg. £17.99 from Argos)

Obviously not middle class enough for you lot.

spacemonkey

When popping your egg in the water, do it at the water level gently using a ladle/bowl/mug.  That way you keep more of the egg ‘together’ on it descent.

iamanobody
    Free Member

How is this a discussion?

poached eggs must be touching water – the cling film method surely is just boiled egg in cling film as opposed to shell?

to poach eggs – rolling boil water, egg in shell in water for 10 seconds, crack egg in water, watch until done, slotted spoon out. No vinegar, no salt, no swirling, no fuss, no mess

easy do 6-8 in a pan at once

lunge

I love this annual thread for no other reason than loving now STW can over complicate even the simplest task.

My take, saucepan of boiling water, no idea how much, 2/3 full maybe? Bit of table salt in water. Fresher the eggs the better, less fresh means more wispy but still tastes the same. Egg in water, give water a swirl if you want. 2 minutes, maybe 2.5 if they don’t look done at 2. Take out with slotted spoon, place on buttered brown toast, add salt and pepper.

ton

What sort of barbarian keeps eggs in the fridge?

me, and have done since being a home owner, 32 years.

ransos
    Free Member

My dad used to poach eggs in an egg poacher

(eg. £17.99 from Argos)

Obviously not middle class enough for you lot.

An unnecessary gadget that doesn’t poach eggs? No thanks.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Crack a freshly laid egg in (must still be warm from the hen)

Actually fresh eggs aren’t that good to poach or boil as the white is too soft.

DezB
    Free Member

that doesn’t poach eggs?

Funny how those “gadgets” have been incorrectly named since before you were born eh.

Anyway, I hardly ever eat eggs, so really don’t understand how people give so much of a toss about what they’re called, how they’re cooked etc. jolly weird if you ask me.

shakers97
    Free Member

When you’ve cooked it eat it with a splash of soy sauce – thank me later

Denis99
    Free Member

Success!

Water not boiling, but quite hot.

No vinegar

No stirring

Shallow saucepan

Warm the gg in its shell in the water, not long, 20 seconds.

Break egg inro a shallow ladle.

Carefully lower into the water

3 minutes later remove.

Toast, pepper, gone in 20 seconds.

Repeat.

cookeaa

The trick is it put the whole egg into the water for 20 seconds before you crack it.  Take out and then crack it in.  The immersion in its shell starts the white off cooking so when you crack it into the water it holds its shape much better…

I’ll be trying this over the weekend, Breakfast normally falls to me and while my Poached eggs are normally adequate, there’s a few feathery bits, plus I’m not keeping chickens… yet.

Yak

I have skipped straight to the bottom of all this but have just had this for lunch

Anyway, get 2 slices of bread toasted already and the grill hot. Get the cheese sliced and ready to go on the toast.

Water at less than boiling, lightly salted and spun up. Crack eggs into water. No more than 2 per pan.

Toast under the grill. The time it takes for the cheese to melt is exactly the right time to poach the eggs. Remove the eggs with a potato masher.

A bit of pepper and you are done.

ransos
    Free Member

Funny how those “gadgets” have been incorrectly named since before you were born eh.

Not really. They’re sold to people who are unable to poach eggs.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Poached eggs’ is closed to new replies.