Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Plus tyres
  • duncdan
    Free Member

I like my charge cooker 1 but the drag caused by the tyres is much worse than expected. I put some 29er wheels on and the bike was much quicker but not as comfy .

Can anyone recommend 27+ tyres that don’t drag like the trailblazers? I guess the problem is the profile of the trailblazers is square where a more rounded profile would roll better. …

Suggestions and experiences welcome.

Alternatively should I get some 2.4 29er tyres?

takisawa2

Trailblazer drags ?
    I thought it one of the better options for rolling, with the continuous centre ridge.

rOcKeTdOg

Vittoria bombolonis

singlespeedstu

Put some 2.5 DHF 3c maxxterra’s on then you’ll think the TB feels like a semi slick.

kazafaza
    Free Member

Maybe it’s not about the drag but the weight of the tyre? Panaracer Fart B Nimble are pretty light but I wouldn’t recommend these for the rocks…

duncdan
    Free Member

The center part ono the trailblazers are fairly irrelevant since they are so square most of the tread is on the ground. Theye are the only plus tyre I have ridden but I don’t want to waste money on tyres that drag and don’t grip as the trailblazers do.

It’s not the weight as they don’t roll down hill.

muggomagic

Try the Specialized Purgatory and Ground control.

scotroutes

What rims are you using. That will have a big effect on profile and volume(and hence comfort)

fifeandy
    Free Member

I’m actually finding the trailblazers on my cooker 0 really fast rolling @12psi. What pressure are you using to find them draggy?

duncdan
    Free Member

Standard 40 mm rims at 15 psi

duncdan
    Free Member

They still have the tubes in but I don’t think that would make any difference to rolling but would save 600g on the bike

fin25
    Free Member

play around loads with pressure, you’ll find the sweet spot eventually. Even a small change in pressure can have a big effect on rolling resistance and grip. If you haven’t already, get a decent pressure gauge,it really helps.

justinbieber

When I was testing the Intense ACV+ for the mag recently, I found the Maxxis Ikon to be really fast rolling. The only drawback was that it wasn’t the most robust tyre and was lacking in grip at the front. If you’re not smashing through rocks though, I think it’s a great rear tyre.

duncdan
    Free Member

I tried 30psi and felt no different. Looking at gauges what do u recommended?

fin25
    Free Member

ive got one of these

fin25
    Free Member

Also, start low, about 10 PSI, then work your way up, 0.5 PSI at a time, give it a good blast at each pressure, you’ll find riding nirvana eventually. 8)

sweaman2
    Free Member

Put some 2.5 DHF 3c maxxterra’s on then you’ll think the TB feels like a semi slick

+1

You know it’s draggy when people start commenting how much noise the tire is making as you’re just rolling along the road. But the grip off road makes up for it (most of the time)

fin25
    Free Member

You know it’s draggy when people start commenting how much noise the tire is making as you’re just rolling along the road

Yeah, my fatbike sounds like the Battle of Britain memorial flight on tarmac.

duncdan
    Free Member

Thanks find.

Can’t find maxxis ikon as a plus tyre

justinbieber

Yeah, I think the Ikon is only available OEM at the moment.

As for pressures, I stuck to between 15-18psi to avoid punctures. Any less than that and it pinched too easily.

fin25
    Free Member

To really get the benefit of plus tyres, I think going tubeless is necessary.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Not actually popped the bead on mine to check, but pretty sure this years cookers are supposed to come set up tubeless already. If you’ve got tubes in there maybe thats your problem?

Alex

Chronicles roll pretty well. But they aren’t much once it’s get even a tad moist. I’m running a WTB Bridger out back and that seems a good compromise. Rekon up front which is more of a minion lite but insanely grippy. When I was 29+,I ran 13 and 11. With 27.5+ it’s 14, 12. Genuinely makes a difference even for an oaf like me. Get a proper air gauge – top peak one is very good.

duncdan
    Free Member

Cheers guys. The cookers come with tubes in but are ready to set up tubeless. My vavles come this week so will convert them soon.

I found the real issue this morning was brake caliper alignment. Rode to work and they roll really well without the brakes rubbing.

muggomagic

Have you ran the Bridger on the front Alex? Was thinking this might be a better option than the Purg through summer while I wait for the minion and high rollers to arrive.

Paceman
    Free Member

Surly Knards or Bontrager Chupacabras are both fast rolling and light plus tyres in my experience (as long as you get the folding ones).

whitestone
    Free Member

I’m running a Bridger on the front, seems OK but I’ve nothing B+ wise to compare it to. Definitely fine in the dry and was mainly OK in the gloop in the Peak last weekend. Running a Trailblazer on the back, can’t say I’ve noticed it being too draggy but I haven’t much room to fit anything bigger.

honourablegeorge

ustinbieber – Member
    Yeah, I think the Ikon is only available OEM at the moment.

Bike-componentsde have them, expensive though.

Rocket Ron a cheaper alternative

benpinnick

Ikon 2.8s are available in the UK AFAIK. Expensive though.

muggomagic

The rekon 3c maxterra are £65 from the link above. Better than I was expecting.

BadlyWiredDog

I think the b+ Trailblazer is pretty quick to be honest, but it’s awful for grip – don’t even think about it on the front – and I’ve now ripped the sidewalls on two of them used out back, the first was part worn, so I thought that might be the issue, the second just holed at medium speeds on a rocky descent. The sidewalls appear to be made of tissue paper with a thin smear of rubber over the top. Not good.

I’ve swapped the front for a 2.8 Nobby Nic with Snakeskin sidewalls – works really well and I say that as someone who’s not a Nobby Nic fan generally – and I’ve just bought a 2.8 Rocket Ron to replace the one on the back. Hopefully it’ll roll fast but won’t self destruct with the same alacrity as the Trailblazer.

I’m running tubeless on WTB rims, the wide ones, can’t remember what they’re called off hand, and have a starting point of an indicated 15psi on my track pump. Bike is a Sonder Transmitter hardtail.

I’ll report back on the Rocket Ron once I’ve used it – hopefully this evening, but if it works like the NN but rolls quicker, it should be about right.

jam-bo

I’ve only tried 2.8 nobby nics so far. at £35 a tyre from charliethebikemonger made more sense than rekon/ikon at £65 a tyre.

they seem to me to roll ok. bit noisy on tarmac but strava says they arent too slow.

getting used to the level of grip DH and starting to fly.

mccraque

@badlywireddog – how much wider are the Schwalbe 2.8’s over the Trailblazer? I have the same dilemma. It’s going to be when rather than if I rip the sidewall….but my frame, although claiming to be plus bike compatible just about fits the trailblazer, which seems on the small side to me….

STATO
    Free Member

I found the nobby nic to be like dragging an anchor! Ive not tried any other 27+ but even my Fatbike didn’t seem to drag as much as a rear NN on hard ground, switched back to a 29er wheel until it rains or I can get a RR.

whitestone
    Free Member

The TB is definitely small, it’s the same width at the tread as a Bontrager XR4 2.35″ tyre! The width at the sidewalls of the TB is greater than at the tread which combined with the thinness of the sidewalls (presumably because to keep the weight down) leads to the problems noted by @Badlywireddog.

BadlyWiredDog

I don’t know, I’m just about to stick the Rocket Ron in the back, the front looks about the same but with a more rounded profile fwiw. The Transmitter has, I think, been designed around 2.8″ tyres, so I’m a little wary of going up to the 3.0. I’ve got a standard X-Fusion Sweep up front and that takes a 2.8 NN no problem.

BadlyWiredDog

Quick follow-up. Fitted the 2.8 Rocket Ron tubeless in the rear of my Sonder. Gives pretty much the same clearance as a Trailblazer 2.8, but has a slightly rounder profile. I guess it may expand slightly with use, but first impressions are that if a Trailblazer fits your frame, there’s a good chance that a 2.8 Schwalbe will also squeeze in.

The Rocket Ron isn’t exactly built like a downhill tyre, obviously, but I’ve had positive experiences with Snakekin sidewalls in the past, and I can’t imagine it can be as fragile as the WTB plus it actually has some side knobs…

Went up easily tubeless with a Bontrager Flash Charger.

whitestone
    Free Member

@badlywireddog Thanks. That’s useful to know. I thought the Rocket Ron was a “race oriented” tyre so might not be the best for long distance stuff 🙄 But if other Schwalbe tyres are similar then they might be worth a look when my Trailblazer dies.

BadlyWiredDog

No problem.. The Nobby Nic’s seems really good as a front option and probably a year-round rear one as well. I hear what you’re saying about the Rocket Ron, but I was after something that would roll fast, but be a bit less fragile than the Trailblazer. We’ll see, I guess. The sidewall feels sturdier out of the box anyway, which is a reasonable start…

jam-bo

alpkit have currently got 25% off their rumpus wheels (and the other lovemud stuff) making them a bit of a bargain.

shame I bought mine last week. ;-(

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Plus tyres’ is closed to new replies.