Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Please show me your single rings… (yet another single ring thread)
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

I’m looking at a single ring setup for a new trail bike build. Just wondering what cranks and rings people use for theirs and what needed to be done (e.g. shorter bolts, sorting out chainline.)

Am looking for quite a clean look so the Middleburn R8 x-type cranks are tempting, but XT seems a more sensible choice. Photos of setups would be cool.

Northwind

I’m just using SLX cranks with a normal 32T shimano ring. Looks a bit horrible, but works.

letmetalktomark

Old photo but ……

slugwash
    Free Member

Probably not particularly helpful for what you want but you did put out a request for a single ring show 😉

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks letmetalktomark, that’s the sort of thing I’m after. Looks like it’s on a Soul too which would be exactly what I’m after! Is that a renthal ring? Not tempted by the Uno chainrings from middleburn and ditching the spider?

Slugwash, thanks but not quite the look I’m after!

Northwind, got an SLX double that I could try but don’t think it would look that good. Price is quite tempting though.

glenh
    Free Member

njee20
    Free Member

Not got a photo as I can’t get to FlickR at work, there’s one in the first post here.

I’m using a custom 36t ti chainring from Mathias Helore on M985 XTR Race cranks, bolts from eBay, bodged Superstar chainguide (which has been awesome). No problems with chainline either. Did bend the ring quite badly when I broke a chainring bolt, but being ti a just hit it with a hammer to straighten it – it’s not perfect, but it’s good enough, still never dropped the chain.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks njee20. Is that an XTR double? I’m quite tempted to pick up the new XT double and run that in a similar way (put off by XTR due to dodgy BCDs.) Don’t want a bash guard on it so reckon it should be ok. Is that just running where the big ring would have been or have you done anything else to it?

njee20
    Free Member

Yes it is the double, hence having to use a custom chainring for the 88mm BCD, although actually it was really cheap! Not done anything else – it’s just where the outer ring was.

If the XT just has normal 64/104 BCD then yes you can just run the ring in the outer position and it’ll be fine.

letmetalktomark

@ Mr Blobby – Yes its a Renthal.

Set up didn’t last long as to get the MRP guide into its correct place meant it fouled the back of the crank.

Not long after the photo was taken I went with a bash guard and a N gear guide.

No issues with that set up at all.

Then went 2 x 9 with a Duo as was fed up spinning out on the flat bits!

Also ran a UNO rind with a N Gear stop on another bike but found I lost the chain couple of times. Would have been fine with the Renthal ring as it has taller teeth.

Old pic:

mrblobby
    Free Member

I do like that Uno. Though I’ve just gone and ordered the new XT double. Has the 64/104 BCD so should be able to run a renthal single ring where the big ring is. Hopefully should give quite a nice clean look, and can always go back to a double if my legs aren’t up to the job!

oink
    Free Member

old photo as now using an mrp mini g sl chain device

but race face sixc cranks and e13 guide ring

mrblobby
    Free Member

Sixc, nice but very pricey.

chvck
    Free Member

sslowpace
    Free Member

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

020 by bluerichiepig, on Flickr

Rickos
    Free Member

mrblobby
    Free Member

Ooo Richie that looks like the new XT double, looks good. Went for the silver myself.

Ricks, like SLX with the gamut, looks a lot better than the shimano slx bash.

TheSwede
    Free Member

takisawa2

Cheap way, Deore HT2 cranks’s & middle ring with Superstar chain device. Chain device works very well, & they do a Pauls Components type one now that looks better.

IMAG0525 by pten2106, on Flickr

tazzymtb

2 sets of rotor Q rings in single ring set up on middleburn cranks..lovely

mrblobby
    Free Member

The sweed, what you got going on there?

Hmm hadn’t considered rotor q rings. Just like the biopace ones on my old road bike 🙂

ajantom

All three rings from Home Brewed Components

XTR M960 jeff jones SS mod:

LX cranks with Roox Chaindog:

Middleburn RS7s with Pauls Chain Keeper:

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

I had a good deal on the new 2012 xt chainset 🙂

onandon
    Free Member

A few of mine and a Ribble I built for my 73 year old dad ( saddle lowered before delivery 🙂 )

mrblobby
    Free Member

Ajantom, did you jones those M960’s yourself? Can you send it off somewhere to get it done? Got an old M960 in the shed and would be tempted.

ajantom

Did em my self – here’s a better shot:

and a shot of the steps involved:

Hacksaw of the ends, file down to make em round (helps if you have access to a grinding wheel!), then a s**t load of polishing with wet & dry. definitely a winter evening job!

I could’ve spent a lot longer polishing with finer grades of wet & dry for a shinier finish, but life’s too short 😆

P20

Goldtec. Cheap, well made. I had this on my singlespeed and i’m thinking of them for a 1×10 set up. Probably not the lightest though 😆

DSCF8164 by ritcheyp20, on Flickr

colournoise

Identiti Mr Hyde. 34T Blackspire chainring, RaceFace Ride cranks, BB and bashguard, Superstar Plasma chainguide (yes I know – upper guide has been knocked out of alignment in the close-up). Only work needed was to remove original double rings from the Ride chainset & replace with Blackspire ring. May well soon remove bash and fit replacement ‘non-bash’ chain cage for the Plasma.

DMR Trailstar Mk2. 40T Gusset Tribal ring, Octane One cranks and ISIS BB, DMR Chain Cage & Chain Reactor. No mods necessary

slainte 😀 rob

hoojum
    Free Member

Free Member

mrblobby
    Free Member

Liking those Jones conversions a lot. What rings are you chaps running and how easy are they to get hold of? I know blackspire do 32t and 34t in the 104 BCD, but the are made for running as a triple and don’t look that nice.

On and on, liking that Curtis.

tazzymtb

another set of home polished and trimmed cranks with a surly 32 stainless ring

ajantom

Liking those Jones conversions a lot. What rings are you chaps running and how easy are they to get hold of? I know blackspire do 32t and 34t in the 104 BCD, but the are made for running as a triple and don’t look that nice.

Yes, and the Blackspire ones are made of cheese – lost a tooth on the second ride when I had one 😯 (BTW the XTR M960 are a 102bcd)

Honestly the guy I mentioned – Home Brewed Components – is by far the best option.

Custom CNC ring to fit your XTR cranks for $35 + about $10 for postage. 31-36 teeth, and anodised any colour you want 8) He also does Ti rings, but they’re a little bit more expensive!

mrblobby
    Free Member

(BTW the XTR M960 are a 102bcd)

Doh, still a bit early morning for me!

XTR cranks for $35 + about $10 for postage.

Pretty good price there. Being custom do they take ages to turn up?

Tazzy, loving the frame.

simon1975

5-bolt is the way to go 😉

A Surly stainless steel ring can be straightened when damaged and the teeth last for ages.

I quite like the look of these in Ti though:
    http://www.homebrewedcomponents.com/store.php/categories/pictures

Yes get shorter bolts, I like steel ones, and get the right length BB or use some of these to sort your chainline out: http://www.velosolo.co.uk/bbspacers.html

mrblobby
    Free Member

5 bolt, old school.

110 dollars for a titanium ring!!! I want 🙂

ajantom

About 2-3 weeks. Though the first one was ages and the 3rd one really quick. I think he saves up orders to then do a run of rings in one go.

njee20
    Free Member

I got my ti chainring from here, €40, although I think that’s because he had another order for one so all the tooling was set up. He does 102 BCD rings though, and the ti ones are far cheaper than HBC. Mine’s lasting perfectly.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Liking their ceramic coated 960’s. Nice.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Please show me your single rings… (yet another single ring thread)’ is closed to new replies.