Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Planet X bikes
  • topper

Does anyone have any experience of their SL Pro Carbon Bike?
    Looking at replacing my Boardman Pro Carbon Ltd Edition that was stolen.

On the other hand, if anyone is interested in doing a ‘deal’ on a £900 cheque made out to Planet X please let me know!

T.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I am contemplating an sl pro as they are meant to be ace. Need to pay them a visit and try one for size though.
    Not sure how this helps lol.

topper

Yeah, size was something i was pondering somewhat.
    I am five foot ten and a half ish and 83kg. I normally go for a large in bikes as i like to be a bit ‘stretched’.
    I bought the boardman road bike last year and the medium was plenty big enough. Beautiful bike that; light, very stiff and looked lovely.
    If i go for the Planet X i will go medium. My only reservation is that some people report experiencing frame flex in certain conditions.

I am waiting to see someone riding one then i will ask….

I have a cheque from my insurers made out to Planet X so i have to buy there.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

You will be well looked after at Planet X and if you’re not near Rotherham, they do have demo stock at other shops around the country (Bristol & Derby, as well as London, I think).

All you need to do is put another £99 towards your cheque, and you’ll land an SL Pro with a SRAM Rival groupset too, which is very keen given the spec.

Size-wise, I think a medium should be perfect. I’m 5′ 11″ with a 32″ inside leg and ride a medium PX Nanolight HiMod.

ahwiles
    Free Member

the planetX showroom/shop is just a few moments drive from J34 of the M1.

just drive round the back of the Magna (the old steel works) and you’re there.

lots of lovely bikes to coo over.

speaker2animals

I’ve got one and think it’s a very good bike irrespective and cost and when you consider I paid £1099 in 2007 with Ultegra. Size wise I had a medium and I’m 5’10” and I swapped my stem for a 80mm as the standard which I think was 110mm stretched me too much for my old bones.

If you buy one and find you get a terrible groan that sounds like the BB when you honk, put some Copperslip on the rear dropouts and axle stub. Job done. Took a LONG time to get it sorted and was dubious when I was told to try this. Low and behold, it works.

igm

I have one and might do a deal

monkeychild
    Free Member

Igm ????????

carlos
    Free Member

Bought myself a Sram Red SL Pro just before the sale ended, only done a few rides, covering say 250 miles in total and a bit on the rollers so far but IMO it feels great. Not experienced any flex or any other issues. I’m 5’8 so opted for the Med but only after a trip over to the new showroom as I was borderline on a Small or Med. For the money I don’t think there’s much out there to touch it (waits to be told different) inc 2x bottle cages and all the polar sensor’s it weighs 8kg on the nose (excluding pedals)

I find it to be light, responsive, fast accelerating and super comfy to ride.

Prob the best 1200 quid I’ve spent in a long time.

All IMO of course

Carl

sc-xc

I have a med SL Red, am only 5 ft 9 and wish I had a large (my bro in law has a large)

It would be worth sling your leg over one, but I flipping love mine.

oldgit
    Free Member

Been racing mine for a few years now and it’s been absolutely faultless.
    Certainly no weird noises and no flex, in fact cornering is one of it’s strong points.
    It’s also a toughie as not bothering to go round potholes is proving.
    Weightwise it’s not briliant in full Ultegra, FSA carbon chainset, FSA carbon bars/stem/post. Mind you I am running Aksiums, but I’m loathed to change them as they’ve remained true (apart from hitting one fallen rider) after loads of incidents that would have had a lightweight set crying for their mummy.
    In conclusion and IMO you’d have to spend an awful lot more to gain any advantages
    5’8″ on a small with 120mm stem, if it wasn’t for racing I’dgo medium.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

If i go for the Planet X i will go medium. My only reservation is that some people report experiencing frame flex in certain conditions.

I have yet to hear of a real owner saying that, it’s just regurgitated from some review somewhere

I’m not light, have an SL and have no issues with frame flex

sefton
    Free Member

I got one, great bike – not experienced any flex (only ever heard that from the bike radar review (all the owner reviews I’ve read have been totally positive too)

jojoA1
    Free Member

I’ve got one and love it excellent value IMO. I’m 5’5″ with a 30″ inside leg and ride a small.
    I’m not enough of a connoiseur to know if the frame flexes. I just know I crap myself far more tanking it downhill on road than I do off road, whatever bike I’m on.

headfirst
    Free Member

get a ribble instead

seanoc
    Free Member

The flex is pretty bloody obvious. In the garage drop the seat and grab the saddle with your thighs and wrestle the bars from side to side; you’ll see some funny shapes on the top tube. Also, when coasting along flick the bars left and right with a fairly high frequency and you’ll see the same, Crank hard at 40mph and there’s definite flex at the bottom bracket and visible flex at the top tube and down tube both of which go if you sit down or press your knee against the frame.

I’ve only ever ridden an alu or steel road bike and so cannot compare against any other carbon frame but back to back with a Trek black alpha frame there is a proper wobble.

Having said that, I love mine. Had it for a year even the flex is worth the price tag

CHB

Brilliant bikes for the money. Not the most organised bunch, but they do know their bikes (and their tea!). I have 3 bikes from PX/on-one and would happily go there next time.
    I havn’t seen the nano in the flesh, but the regular carbon frames look MUCH better in real life than they do in pics. Some folk reckon there are to many logos on them.

bakey

Really enjoying my Uncle John. Solidly built and v. comfortable.

Took her for a a three hour blast on Saturday, including Llandegla’s blue route to vary things a bit form the road alone.

speaker2animals

(seanoc) – here we go, when I get it up to the ton etc etc. I weigh 103kg and can’t say I have seen or felt any flex. Surely if any bike was that bad it would be ghost shifting gears like no ones business. To be fair the only time I hit 40 is down hill and at that point I’m probably coasting not cranking like Cav!

martymac

every frame flexes.
    i wouldnt get hung up about it tbh.

Stoner
    Free Member

every frame flexes

you ever seen a PX Armadillo? 😉

h4muf
    Free Member

Got a uncle john,great bike.

I’m 5 11″ and ride a large.

oldgit
    Free Member

Have to agree with speaker there, that’s no way to measure the flex in any frame. to pass that sort of test you’d need something like cast iron.
    And in all seriousness the PX isn’t marketed at racers who can still ‘crank’ it at 40.
    Like speaker said most will only be doing that downhill. I’ve sprinted mine on the flat in the early 30’s can’t be sure though as the computer is usually the last thing I’m looking at going for the line. So I think it’s a bit unfair slating it’s ride qualities for riders that can ride up to 39 MPH before hitting the pedal, they to be fair would have progressed to a far higher quality frame long ago.

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

First ride out on my SL pro today – was totally blown away by it – did 105km 647m assent (for those who are interested) – feel like I’ve ridden half that – instead of been mid to back of the bunch was pretty much up at the front for most of the ride and able to lead out a long tough climb at the back end of the ride instead of desperately holding on to the back – had no problems with flex (weigh 78kg height 165cm) even during a full on sprint to bridge a gap – handling was razor sharp tracking round corners “on rails” – Seriously impressed

seanoc
    Free Member

(speaker) – Cumon; I’m being totally objective. I’ve given 3 examples of where and when I’ve experienced flex on my SL that wasn’t noticeable on an aluminium frame. I still rate it as a good bike and have put (well up until Nov when I started getting some knee issues) serious miles into it. I’m no racer though but tend to ride nice big hills with nice big descents.

My biggest issue with the PX (apart from the general sales issues) is the shoddy wheels; now they flex (and break, and get replaced FOC).

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Planet X bikes’ is closed to new replies.