Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Places you have to see in the UK
  • Mister-P
    Free Member

If you were going to tour the UK where would say is a must see? What are the most amazing sights in the country?

grumm
    Free Member

For me it's pretty much all of the west coast/highlands of Scotland – Skye in particular is very beautiful and the Cuillin mountains are the most spectacular in the UK.

iDave
    Free Member

sandwood bay, north north north west scotlandshire

Mounty_73

Rhossili Bay

woody2000

Picture this: Northern working town, two pissed up slappers kicking the crap out of each other. Beautiful, just beautiful.

🙂

Bregante
    wwaswas

The music room at the Royal Pavilion Brighton. Although not on a bike.

Bregante

you could visit ordsall on a decent bike, but I'd pretty much guarantee you'd leave without it 😉

nickc

Centre of London

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Glen Affric / Glen Feshie as well as the NW coast.

midlifecrashes

Giant's Causeway, but really all the coast of nornirn from Derry to Cushendall

jonb
    Free Member

The lakes, around Ullswater.
    A cathedral city, most will do but I personally prefer Durham having lived there and Wells as I used to live near there.
    Cornish coast
    Bamburgh Castle – one of the nicest (an probably the coldest) beaches I've been to.
    I have a softspot for the NE and it really is worth a trip up this way with a night out in the Toon.
    London, nice place to visit, wouldn't want to live there.
    Bolton, it'll help you appreciate how nice everywhere else is 😉

theotherjonv

Durham Cathedral and Castle from the towpath by Prebends bridge

Junkyard
    Free Member

driving home past netto passing pub two pregnant teenagers outside the pub smoking ah northern Britain

North wales , Lake District, parts of Scotlandshire

scu98rkr
    Free Member

I think most of the answers are going to be very obvious or seem boring with a few hidden gems.

I think obviously you have to add the lake district in there, with my favourite view being loughrigg fell looking down onto Lake Grasmere. I also like like the view from Castlerigg stone circle.

Both pretty boring typical lake district tourist spot but I like em. Would also agree that Rhossili Bay is a great beach.

Oh yeah would add at least one decent welsh castle in there maybe Caernarfon or Conway Castle

Drac

driving home past netto passing pub two pregnant teenagers outside the pub smoking ah northern Britain

You are Mark Datz and I claim my £5.

There's nothing to see here in the NE, it's very cold yes to visitors but there's nothing to see.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Peckham.
    But only in spring when it's at it's best.

grumm
    Free Member

Beaches on Lewis and Harris.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Catrine, in East Ayrshire, sounds lovely

dave_aber
    Free Member

Wrexham.

scruff
    Free Member

Lands End sunset after everybody else has fvcked off home.

ivandrago
    Free Member

Check out the road to Applecross! Probably the best road to drive in Britain and has some spectacular views of the islands at the top. Google it for an idea.

Bunnyhop

I love all the gorgeous stone villages in North Yorkshire. North Wales around Snowdon is rugged and beautiful in the autumn.
    Most of Scotland and all of the Lake district is a must to see.

llamafarmer
    Free Member

Dartmoor

Mister-P
    Free Member

Oh yeah would add at least one decent welsh castle in there maybe Caernarfon

I was there 2 weeks ago and it got me thinking of how much of the UK I haven't seen hence the question.

DT78
    Free Member

Stone Henge

rs
    Free Member

The little beach at Achmelvich is awesome

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/lochinver/achmelvich/index.html

Thats probably quite a useful website for things to see.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

the singing sands of eigg
    the orchestrion at kinloch castle
    (both youtube-able, but i can't youtube from work so no linky, sorry)
    a pint in the old forge inn, inverie, britain's most remote mainland pub
    if you're in this area, take the ferry to tarbet, stay in the hostel if you have time to spare, don't if you don't, but the trip is incredible
    this is west scotland, so you'll want to head over to skye, which is beautiful but has a bit of a tourist infestation in summer
    back to the mainland over the skye bridge follow the road to lochcarron, watch a game of shinty (mental, seriously mental), onward to take the bealach na ba to applecross. applecross is ok, but the bealach is awesome – again some not bad youtubes, then on and through torridon
    the coast road from torridon up toward cape wrath and along the north coast
    orkney – esp north ronaldsay where the sheep live on the beaches, eat seaweed and are not allowed on the island proper because they will die if they eat to much grass – get lucky, you might see some orca getting their dinner off the north head
    anthony gormley's "another place" on sefton beach
    the roman baths at bath
    lindisfarne
    seaworld at the forth bridge – big sharks with lots of sharp pointy teeth
    back to scotland – do a munroe, cairn aosda in glenshee is only about 300 ft above the shops, so an hour or so should do it

are you including ireland? the book of kells and trim castle
    giant's causeway

amodicumofgnar

Teesdale – North Pennines, walk the Tees from Middleton to High Force between 6am and 9am or 6pm and 9pm.

High Cup Nick – North Pennines

Northumberland Beaches

Jura

tails
    Free Member

Most tourists seem to do London as they land near there, followed by Oxford or Cambs and then nip up to Scotland for Edinburgh.

The slightly more adventurous tourist will visit both oxford and cambs, lakes, cornwall and some part of wales.

I would recommend Shropshire or Herefordshire as they have those ye olde buildings but personally it's not my kind of place to spend a long time.

grumm
    Free Member

The beach at Achmelvich is lovely but it had nothing on some of the Lewis and Harris beaches – seriously mind-blowing.

@ Bunnyhop – how are you getting on? Better I hope 🙂

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

Lots of it's good – I really love this country for the diversity. If I had to show england to an alien, I'd take them to the following:

london

south downs

pennines

north devon/cornish coast

highlands

giants causeway area

surrey hills on a misty summer morning

brighton

lakes

cathedral city

somewhere with very good tradiditonal pubs

somewhere with industrial revolution heritage (leeds/manchester)

somewhere with lots of canals

I'd end up somewhere like Fowey, cornwall, as it's like a concentrated version of everything british – pubs, very changeable weather, hills, maritime history, farming, folky stuff. seriosuly if disney did the 'english countryside' zone at epcot, it would be Fowey.

chrissyboy
    Free Member

The singing sands of Eigg! My god, that takes me back to the 80's. Spent a great week on Eigg as a kid, what a beautiful, beautiful place. Must take my little boy – he'd love the beaches.

molgrips
    Free Member

North Downs?

Personally if I were visiting, I'd want to see a good selection of all the different sorts of countryside. You'd see the mountains and coast of Scotland, but also take time to see some of the quintessential home counties village green and woodland stuff. Go there, then think of Rupert Brooke and his mates dying on barbed wire in France, and you can really start to understand the sense of nostalgia for their England.. at least I do… There's more to Britain than mountains.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Agree on Harris and Lewis beaches (the wee beach up from Huisinis / opposite Sark is utterly mesmerising) Uists and Tiree not far behind.

Skye for mountains undoubtedly but I'm not mad on the rest of the island.

Hard to pick anywhere specific in Wester Ross and parts of Sutherland have an almost ethereal beauty.

Lakes are nice – bit busy 😉

kennyp
    Free Member

Torridon. Pretty much all of Wester Ross in fact.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Durham & NW Scotland. End of.

Pigface
    Free Member

Barafundle.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Feeling a lot of love for Scotland on this subject. Looks like a trip north of the border could be on the cards this summer.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

+1 for Barafundle! But Fresh West is better!

Oh, and Bamburgh Beach, Salisbury Plain in high summer, the Wye by canoe, central London, oh so many places!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Places you have to see in the UK’ is closed to new replies.