Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • places to stay/visit/see in yorkshire dales
  • lard
    Free Member

I've managed to wangle a week off at the end of october and would like to take the missus and daughter (6m) up to the yorkshire dales,

can the collective brain of STW advise good places to stay (self catering cottage/appartment is preferred) and good activities for a week up there?

gentle biking (with little one in a trailer would be good but would probably be looking at sustrans style trails rather than full on mtb route (although I think daughter would enjoy a bit of off roading, my wife isn't so sure!)

thanks for any advice

fubar
    Free Member

Malham Cove and Gordale scar (close by) are worth a couple of hours walking combined with a pub lunch in Malham.

Skipton is worth a visit if it's wet…often used to end up in the swimming baths there to avoid the rain ?!

Not sure how family friendly the riding is around Malham.

Ingleton isn't a bad area to stay if you don't mind driving around..edge of the dales but also a short hop into the bottom of the lakes. Few caves around where you can go take a look.

I hope somebody can offer more.

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Wensleydale Creamery in Hawes.
    Aysgarth Falls.
    Ribblehead, just to walk under the viaduct if you've never seen it before.
    Settle to Carlisle rail trip.
    Grassington for the tripper thing. (See if you can go on market day, that really is worthwhile.)

grumm
    Free Member

Settle or Clapham would be a nice base imo. Malham Cove + Goredale def worth a visit. There is some pretty gentle off-road bits around Malham tarn but I'm not sure how much or how to link it up.

fubar
    Free Member

I just remembered that perhaps I should point out that the 'footpath' up Gordale Scar is a 'bit' of a scramble so you might want to simple walk to the base, have a look, and turn back (never fancied coming down it either, always up) finding another way over to Malham Cove(where you would want to go to the top of the cove and walk over the limestone)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘places to stay/visit/see in yorkshire dales’ is closed to new replies.