• This topic has 1,777 replies, 181 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by plumble.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,681 through 1,720 (of 1,778 total)
  • Pinnacle Arkose Three (jameso to the forum please)
  • bikerevivesheffield

Bgrd 8 I think

bikerevivesheffield

Also looking for a replacement front axle – QR264 – F (novatec front QR thru axle)

jameso

BGRD8 it is. Front axle is M12*P1.5*125L spec – Maxle type.

bikerevivesheffield

@jameso – where from for the axle?

jameso

The OE axle wasn’t a proprietary part, SRAM DT and others make them in that size.

winston
    Free Member

I’m sure this has been covered but hey…43 pages!

What is the max clearence for a 650b wheel on an Arkose X (the older white one with a bolt through fork)

Bearing in mind the shortage of tyres at the moment, I’m looking at putting on some 2.1 27.5 mtb tyres – will these be ok

Whats the max anyone has got away with in winter where there will be mud

jameso

Resolute 650 42s are great for a mix of road and muddy trails. Just watch the slightly lower BB you’ll get. You’ll have no mud clearance on the average 2.1 though, esp not a tyre with a tread that works in mud.
    I prefer 700 x 40-42 in the winter if I’m going off-road. Nanos or Resolutes. Better cut-through than a bigger 650 tyre, less clog and they run well on tarmac.

ampthill

James i have the older Arkose from 2016 .

This one

Just seen some one on facebook sugest that they would take 2 inch tyres with 650b wheels. Looking that doesn’t seem likely. Any thoughts?

bandicoot

That was me…

Looking for something a little bulkier and confidence inspiring for my partner when off road

Pinnacle Arkose

jameso

The 2016 bikes had a narrower fork crown and that limits tyre size, 50mm for a 35-40mm 700c tyre. The rear is about 60mm clearance at the tyre shoulder.
    The new fork we had drawn up for 2017 onwards takes 650 x 2.1 or 2.2. 2017 onwards model frames (flat mount) have a few mm more clearance but were still never intended for more than 50 to 52mm tyres in 650B with minimal tread, 2.0 Race Kings for ex. It’s the road chainset compatibility that limits it.

luv2ride
    Free Member

This my 2019 Arkose X with 50mm 650b Pirelli cinturato’s on i25 WTB rims. Come up as 52mm. Decent clearance.

ampthill

luv2ride yes that’s the new wider fork with slightly green eyes. Which kind of shows the limitations of the older one

luv2ride
    Free Member

This was the result of running 40mm tubeless Nanos on my 2015 Arkose fork, hence why I went to the 2019 X

The older bike now runs tubeless Gravel King SKs 700 x 38mm with no rub…

ampthill

That is so useful to know. I have 38c gravel king 3k on mine. I wondered about whether raptors would fit. Now I know. Although I think the 1x model was sold with them

winston
    Free Member

I think I’d happily give up 2mm for that rad splatter paint job!

BigR

Hi, anyone had issues with the freehub on a 2019 bike? Just finished a cycle around the Hebrides and the freehub is occasionally jumping or locking. Really glad it didn’t happen any earlier.
    I know there were issues with earlier models. Also at 8 months old and would it be a warranty issue?

jameso

^ pop the freehub off and check the pawls and springs, it could simply be in need of a clean and/or re-grease.

jimmyjuju
    Free Member

Hello all. Although I’m loving my spangly new Arkose X, it’s developed a creak from the bottom bracket area when pedaling – especially when standing to climb hard. It looks like the BB area is actually flexing when I stand on one crank. I am only 70kg.

Anyone else had this? Par for the course? Or terrible doom?

luv2ride
    Free Member

I’ve just done a gravel event thingy on my Arkose X. Solid and silent all the way round, despite some pretty relentless rough trail sections. I got no discernible flex from the BB, and I’m quite a bit heavier than you. Sounds as if you should get it checked out. Is there any play from the crankset?

jimmyjuju
    Free Member

Hm.
    Thank you. I will.

Nothing that I could discern on the trail, I’ll have a proper look when I can this evening.

jameso

Anyone else had this? Par for the course? Or terrible doom?

Probably a pedal or BB cup that needs doing up or a fatal frame crack or anything in between.

BigR

Thanks, seems to have done the trick, will see how it goes. Otherwise great bike for the trip although I did put on a bigger cassette..

jimmyjuju
    Free Member

Ha! That’s the kind of expert diagnosis I was looking for.

I randomly found a thread recommending to have a look at the dropouts which I fully did and found that both were loose, the hanger was actually rattling about. Some of the wee screws had no loctite on from the look of it. May be helpful if anyone else has the same issue.

jameso

^ good tip. Axles often the cause. Will get the loctite point raised at the factory also, thanks.
    I rode with a friend on a tour and his bike had an annoying creak, he couldn’t seem to fix it, it went on for a few days. Rode alongside him one day and said ‘er.. tighten your front QR?’ – that fixed it. Was weird how it sounded like the BB area until being in a certain place as he rode.

jimmyjuju
    Free Member

Yeah, really odd – I’d expect that sort of amplification on a steel frame but not on an aluminium one, my ignorance there.

Like many have said, the bike is awesome, @jameso. Nicely done.

jameso

Thanks Jimmy, glad you like it.

luv2ride
    Free Member

…heads into garage to check that the dropouts on his X have loctite 😉

EDIT: they had loctite, but added some fresh and tightened up snug…

andyb39
    Free Member

Does anyone here know how long the warranty is on Pinnacle frames?
    Not that I’d expect to get very far dealing with Evens these days.
    Looks like my Arkose (2016 frame, bought April 2017) has started to crack at the welds either side of the downtube opening at the bb where the internal cable exit.

jameso

^ All covered in owner’s manual – it’s still under warranty

ransos
    Free Member

^ pop the freehub off and check the pawls and springs, it could simply be in need of a clean and/or re-grease.

I had this on a Novatec hub on a different bike. as you say, fixed by removing & cleaning the pawls & springs, and applying some fresh grease.

10toad10
    Free Member

Seems like we are the only 2 here with this question! I was advised on other forums that a 10 speed chainset should work ok with 9 speed setup, although the shifting may a bit less smooth. Maybe it is worth contacting Evans or pay a visit to your local store to see if they have, or can obtain the 9 speed FSA Omega Chainset you need – the email I have had from FSA says the 10 speed version is not compatible, seems like they don’t have the 9 speed chainset available for anyone other than bike retailers/manufacturers which is ridiculous..

Thanks very much for this, nice to know someone had the same problem! I’ll try contacting Evans special orders again, last time even the customer services person I ended up speaking to couldn’t contact them as they were switching systems and told me to try again in a month, hopefully they might be ready now. If they don’t answer though I think I’ll go with the 10 speed FSA chainset so I don’t need to bother changing the bottom bracket too, and hope it’s OK. Feel such a pillock for breaking it in the first place, I only rode it about 5 times!

cx_monkey

anyone got any idea where to find a replacement hanger for a 2019 thru axle Arkose? I think it’s BGRD-10…. Evans being a shower of c##ts and not replying to any emails or phone calls, and they obviously don’t have them on their website…. I thought Wheels Mfg might be worth a try, but they don’t have one that would work. Any ideas? Anyone got a secret stash?

sheeps

@jameso – I have a Pinnacle Arkose 4 from back in 2015/16 in the light blue (see Ampthill’s post about 10 above this). It’s got various little chips in the paintwork, and I was looking at giving it some cosmetic tlc (to go along with the other tlc which it needs after over 10k miles!).

Is there a colour chart and/or a colour reference for that blue? or failing that, do Evans do a touch-up paint for their Pinnacle colours?

Ta

jameso

anyone got any idea where to find a replacement hanger for a 2019 thru axle Arkose? I think it’s BGRD-10….

BGRD10-TA for the thru axle version. None on the site which suggests out of stock at the warehouse but there may be stock in stores – that’s where it gets frustrating for all though as finding one is a case of calling a few. I’ve asked..

jameso

@sheeps – it’s a colour match to a TA Taiwan colour so no paint codes exactly – it’s close to Pantone Process Blue though, a little less saturated. Pantone 2193 or 94?

sheeps

Jameso… thank you.

jameso

..sorry, 2193 or 92. Roughly.

sheeps

Roughly is fine – I’m sure all the other riders zooming passed me at speeds I dream of won’t notice the slight difference in touch ups where I’ve ‘used’ the bike!! 🙂

Now just the small matter of finding a source of Pantone 2193!

mr_stru

Hi,

I’m trying to get a replacement hanger for my Arkose (it’s the BGRD-8 one ) and it looks like Evans doesn’t have any in stock. This looks like the equivalent but don’t suppose anyone can confirm that:

https://www.rearmechhanger.com/product/rear-gear-mech-derailleur-hanger-cc216/

jameso

@mr_stru
    I knew I’d seen one in the shed, found it today. If you still need one PM me your address and I’ll sent it out asap early next week.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,681 through 1,720 (of 1,778 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.