• This topic has 1,777 replies, 181 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by plumble.
Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 1,778 total)
  • Pinnacle Arkose Three (jameso to the forum please)
  • cgreggers
    Free Member

Creaking has been occurring on my 4 frame for a number of months now. Definitely not the BB as that’s been disassembled and reassembled.

It is lessened by the tightening of the rear quick release leading me to believe its either a dropout issue. However, the quick release has to be tightened exceedingly tight for the creak to lessen but still not disappear.

JamesO, what do you suggest? Will a store be willing to check it out in case its a frame issue?

Thanks,
    C

inbred853

jameso – any info when the frame sets will be available? Ta

jameso

cgreggers, could be hub end caps or the QR itself. Call the shop and see what they say, if you’ve been able to narrow it down to the area they can have a closer look.

inbred853, frames are in stock now. Seems to be taking a while to get uploaded online but we do have them.

cgreggers
    Free Member

Thanks for the response. Will drop it in tomorrow and see what they say!

inbred853

Cheers, Jameso

teadrinker
    Free Member

Picking my frame only option up on Tuesday, can’t wait, so excited.

cgreggers
    Free Member

Mechanic couldn’t seem to fix the creak. Replaced the skewer with a shimano equivalent however flexing the bike with your foot on the chainstay still leads to a clicking sound.

However, the noise when pedalling has ceased by the sounds of it, hoorah! So lets see how we go over the coming weeks.

Great service from the mechanic at Spitalfields. Was happy to spend the time explaining what he did to try and fix it.

jacob46
    Free Member

Cgreggers I’ve just ordered a arkose 4 from Birmingham store. Hope no creaking on mine!!

I’m 6ft 3.5 and 94kg so I’m sure I’ll find out soon after I pick it up.

cgreggers
    Free Member

Cgreggers I’ve just ordered a arkose 4 from Birmingham store. Hope no creaking on mine!!

I’m 6ft 3.5 and 94kg so I’m sure I’ll find out soon after I pick it up.

It only appeared after a couple of months so I’m thinking it might be a localised issue. Probably related to the skewer.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Is there any reason why the wheelbase is soooo long on these? On my large, its 1060mm – which is an inch longer than my other disc drop bike, and about 2 inches longer than my race bikes.

Probably steady on rougher roads, but it feels a bit like a barge on corners.

jameso

mtbtomo, I can’t say I’ve ever worked to wheelbase as a critical dimension. FC-RC balance and front end geo I do, the WB is what it is. Just checked. 1047mm on the L Arkose based on the CAD drawing. The HA and fork offset adds 20mm over a typical race bike and the chainstay is 425mm, std CX stuff, 15-20mm more there.

One man’s barge is a another’s ‘stable, sling it in’, perhaps. Used as a road bike on 25c I get down proper-fast hairpinned descents faster on my Arkose 4 than I can on my race-angled bike but I do ride the Arkose a little differently, suits me better.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Yep, the rear centre is pretty much the same as my other disc bike (Saracen Hack), so like you say its the front centre thats longer.

I’m probably riding it on a long one in the hills tomorrow, so no complaints 🙂

breadcrumb

I’ve ordered an Arkose 3 on Friday, fair looking forward to getting it.

Do the rims come fitted with tubeless tape? What internal width are they? Will they take 25c tyres?

teadrinker
    Free Member

I’ve already posted it elsewhere on here but feel this thread needs a pic of my Arkose. Lovely bike, so chuffed with it.

[URL=http://s307.photobucket.com/user/teadrinker1977/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150612_1954122_zps73c60bae.jpg.html][/URL]

breadcrumb

Got my Arkose 3 yesterday, the green looks fantastic in the flesh.

Only ridden it around the yard so far but it feels good.

Are the hubs cup and cone or cartridge bearing?

Nice touch getting a spare mech hanger too.

daveh
    Free Member

Heres my 2, complete with 50c Marathons at 40 psi! Commuter, winter, gnarmac bike 😈 :

jameso

50C? They must be small 50s but I like your style.

Rode up a random mystery road in Taiwan at the weekend on my Arkose. 300m to 2300m in one climb and google earth wasn’t very clear on what the road would be like. 30 miles of great riding to get to the start of it. Most normal roads in the mountains here get exciting at some point, this one may be one of the best but my 25s let me down, double pinch flats at 1000m in 35+ degrees heat then more flats when it turned into a jeep track. I learned that 25s are rubbish on shale-strewn tracks, knotted tubes hold 60PSI well enough and Taiwanese forestry guys can be quite friendly towards foreign trespassers who found the padlock on a gate up a mountain road open. Thought it was game over at the gate but curiosity won after a closer look at the lock : ) They did gesture which way I should carry on after I finished pumping up my tyre though. One for another time – there was still 12-15km to go.

daveh
    Free Member

50C? They must be small 50s but I like your style.

Marathon Supremes, 28×2.0, more like 45mm in reality I think. Reasonably shoehorned in though 😀 . Front mudguard (55mm width) was cut into two and additional mount fashioned for the front part, there was no way it was going through the fork legs with that tyre in there!

vintagewino
    Free Member

is that it for the framesets? Only giant sizes listed on the evans website now.

madeupname
    Free Member

Evans website quote

Jameso/Anyone got any more info/pics? Geo page is still from 2013-14…

Gear cables seem to go into down tube, but can’t see where they emerge. Any chance it could fit Di2 cables in the future?

Lighter tubes, more butting = lighter frame? more flexy?

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Just picked up my Arkose 3 from Evans and looking forward to riding it. Only slight niggle is that the chainstay on the inside of the big ring has a little paint damage. Looks like it’s due to chain suck possibly caused during a previous test ride, paint and primer has been removed and it’s down to the metal in two places.

The Kenda SB8s also have a lot of cracking in the rubber on the sidewall, almost the entire circumference of the tyres.

What do you think, raise the issue with Evans or just keep it as is and crack on?

ahwiles
    Free Member

madeupname – Member

Gear cables seem to go into down tube, but can’t see where they emerge.

out of something like this:

which seems a bit like a bodge to me, but a little research suggests it’s a reasonably common solution.

(apparently that’s a photo of a Tricross, and the same idea has been used on Cervelo frames)

Any chance it could fit Di2 cables in the future?

no idea, sorry.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Going to get some SKS chromoplastics, what size do I go for? Crc lists 35, 45 & 50mm options.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Seems a pretty neat solution to me. Easy to thread internal cables through.

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

Any sizing tips on these? At 5’11” I am dead on the line between medium and large. My normal road bike is a 56 which would suggest to go large, but the TT is longer on these.

I did demo both sizes a few months back and seemed to think the medium felt a touch short, but the large felt quite tall. I’m struggling to remember my exact thoughts though!

drlex
    Free Member

Going to get some SKS chromoplastics, what size do I go for? Crc lists 35, 45 & 50mm options

How about 45mm PDW metal ones at £40? My Chromos snapped three times on my Pompetamine – got fed up with sticking them back together.

m1kea
    Free Member

bacondoublechee

Any sizing tips on these? At 5’11” I am dead on the line between medium and large. My normal road bike is a 56 which would suggest to go large, but the TT is longer on these.

I did demo both sizes a few months back and seemed to think the medium felt a touch short, but the large felt quite tall. I’m struggling to remember my exact thoughts though!

I’m 5′ 10″ with a slightly short torso and I got a L / 54cm Arkose 4 at the weekend.

The tall head tube and 90mm stem initially felt upright and tight to the body. However I discovered pretty quickly that braking on crossers is quite different from my usual on the hoods road braking.

However the extra height has meant braking on and riding the drops is pretty comfortable, if not quite scary on scrabby descents!

Oh and I think the hydro STIs are longer than normal. Just enough to make it feel different

firestarter
    Free Member

Ive got those guards and they are brilliant absolutely rock solid and loads if cover.

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

I’m 5′ 10″ with a slightly short torso and I got a L / 54cm Arkose 4 at the weekend.

The large is 55cm seat tube, 57cm top tube according to the site?

m1kea
    Free Member

@ BDC

That’s what the frame label says. If I get a chance I’ll put a tape measure against it

tenfoot

5ft 11 and I have a large arkose. Feels just right.

vintagewino
    Free Member

I’m just under 5’10” and I just rode the medium, felt very upright compared to my regular road bike but the right length.

jameso

The large is 55cm seat tube,

It’s a 54cm, I need to correct that pdf. TT is 57cm.

Clink

5’10” medium here – wouldn’t want any bigger. First ride was 100 miles with bike-packing bags over 2 days – very comfortable.

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

James, can you provide the correct measurements for the medium too? Thanks!

jameso

BDC, they’re all 10mm shorter on the ST than the list, M is 51cm.

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

I think I would probably be better on a large with a shorter stem, than a medium with a longer stem. Maybe.

jameso

^ agreed.

m1kea
    Free Member

Just stuck a tape measure against the “L / 54cm” Arkose 4 I got at the weekend ^^.

Top Tube actual 55cm
    Seat Tube centre – top 53cm
    Head tube 17.5cm
    Chain stay 43cm
    Wheelbase 104.5

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

Thanks for that m1kea.

I’m going to try and get (yet another) demo on a large this weekend, but family time might get in the way… I could get the length the same as my race bike on a large with an 80mm stem (maybe even then standard 90mm due to the slightly steeper seat angle) but with a 40mm higher bar height. The only doubt I have is whether I’d want this bike a bit shorter to go with the more upright position. A 70mm stem would be pretty short for this type of bike!

Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 1,778 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM