Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)
  • Pink Floyd
  • 2tyred

I just don’t get it.

I’m male, 40, enjoyed recreational drugs quite a bit for quite a long time from the age of about 17, adored Spacemen 3, but despite several attempts over the years to convince myself otherwise, I still think Pink Floyd are just rubbish.

What am I missing?

Thought tonight’s BBC4 stuff might shed a little light, but no, still shite.

maxtorque

I think a few of their songs are absolute works of art, but those are somewhat swamped by a mass of “just noise”. You certainly need to be “in the mood” imo to appreciate most of it….

Creaky

I just find them flaccid and pretentious.

Stoner
    Free Member

I reckon there are at least 5 pink Floyd. Personally I only like 2 of them.

spacemonkey

60s shit.

70s boundary breaking intergalactic awesomeness

80s oh dear, it’s all going a bit American pop rock

90s trying too hard and just being shit

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I simply hate soccer with a passion, sends me to sleep & I get annoyed with a lot of the pansies that play it.
    Can’t stand Frank Skinner either. Makes me want to smash the telly to bits when he’s on ( so I switch channels)
    Why start a thread about something you dislike?

Everyone else must be wrong then….

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/q-which-is-biggest-band-of-all-time-a-and-readers-say-6160587.html

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Well, I like them..
    Sorry.

cinnamon_girl

I didn’t get them either even though I was around in the 70’s. Actually saw them perform Dark Side of the Moon when it was just released.

There was a lot of pretentious stuff around though and the masters were a band called Yes with their triple concept albums.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I loved Yes, my ex mrs had all their albums, ‘Yessongs being my fave.
    Floyd were/are my biggest fave though.
    Saw them at Earls Court in April 1994, Division Bell tour. Wow. & I mean ‘like wow man’

2tyred

Why start a thread about something you dislike?

Everyone else must be wrong then….

Au contraire chief.

For years I thought I didn’t like Radiohead, then one night Mrs Tyred went out leaving me instructions to record the Jools Holland special they were doing that night. Might as well make sure I haven’t messed up the recording I thought, by watching the first few mins. Woah, how wrong had I been?

Similar Damascene conversion with Belle & Sebastian.

Posted because I’ve always expected something similar with Pink Floyd but its never come. Wondered if I’d simply missed the best stuff.

So there.

Stoner
    Free Member

Very jealous of you essel. The pulse tour I think of as their best phase and I never got to earls court.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Some people don’t like some music. Imagine that. Each to their own.

I believe Dark side of the moon is the biggest selling vinyl album of all time.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Very jealous of you essel. The pulse tour I think of as their best phase and I never got to earls court.

AND….!… I’ve got the dvd!

That was probably the best night I can ever remember. Even better than the best sex I’ve ever had. (with a girl from Harrogate) 😆

zippykona

I reckon Great Gig In The Sky is one of mankind’s greatest achievements let alone a fantastic piece of music by a great band.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Even better, the Marshal amp documentary was on after it 🙂

ampthill

Why should we care if you don’t like them

I think I’d say I was a fan. I think many of my favorite albums are by Pink Floyd

But I’ll admit that many of their albums are dreadful

iffoverload
    Free Member

if you Meddle with the Dark Side you will just end up banging your head against The Wall

sorry 😳

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

if you Meddle with the Dark Side you will just end up banging your head against The Wall

sorry

Ooosh! & who do you think you are, The Piper at the Gates of Dawn?
    Animal!

Swelper
    Free Member

Iconic album. Still listen to it (I’m 45) love it. Many an hour spent in my youth in a haze brings back memories but still to this day find something new.

bowser538
    Free Member

I rate dave gilmour up there with the best guitarists of our times.

zippykona

Those puns make me wish I wasn’t here.

Junkyard
    Free Member

What am I missing?

Taste?

zippykona

[/quote]bowser538 – Member
    I rate dave gilmour up there with the best guitarists of our times.

Easily. It’s the whole restraint he plays with. He could do all the widely Yngwie nonsense but he doesn’t. In a perfect world he would replace all the sax on Dark side.

chakaping
    Free Member

OP – you might as well have stolen my login.

I think interstellar overdrive and set the controls for the heart of the sun are great, but I’ve always wondered if I’m just missing something in their later material.

I used to like my psychedelic music quite overwhelming like the spacemen or mbv – but I guess pink Floyd are more chilled out like can’s later stuff. Except not really funky.

Anyway, I suppose I appreciate them a bit more now, but it’s all a bit muso for my taste still.

racefaceec90

i love pink floyd personally and saw roger waters doing the wall at wembly last year.

it was bloody fantastic 😀

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

IMO, Gilmour is God (not Clapton, but he’s not bad either)

bikebob

One of my all time favorites, saw them perform the wall at earls court in 79. Amazing
    The wall is still my all time album that I listen to regularly. Unlike many I also like the final cut, great political writing by waters, but it did mark the end of their best. Some of the early stuff is pure brilliance and some not for me.

Got to agree, an hour of Floyd followed by an hour on Marshall amps, now that’s what I call tv.

Swelper
    Free Member

Roger Waters has aged better than the rest of the band

Swelper
    Free Member

Storm Thorgetson legend

bigblackshed

Pink Floyd, like Genesis, were and still are a very big part of my musical identity. BUT with both, and many other bands, I’m not a fan of all of their work.

For Floyd it’s Meddle to Animals. I like bits of The Wall but I don’t “get” most of Roger Waters. For Genesis it’s Foxtrot to Wind and Wuthering, plus a few odd bits and pieces.

To label Floyd as rubbish is, to me, quite insulting. They have influenced huge amounts of music that followed. To say you don’t like or get it is perfectly fine. I don’t like The Smiths. To some it’s their musical awakening and still holds their affection. I can appreciate that Johnny Marr has influence lots of guitarists, but he doesn’t “float my boat” musically.

Each to their own.

firestarter
    Free Member

The final cut is a work of art

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

What bigblackshed says really. there’s no way anyone can say that Floyd are ‘shite’ If they were they wouldn’t have been so succsessful FFS!
    (I still hate soccer though)

bikebob

Got to agree with fire starter. As I said earlier, brilliant political writing.
    I think this thread will run for a while, two sides to everything, shame those that do not like, cannot see their wrong. 😀

samuri
    Free Member

Anyone who doesn’t like Pink floyd is a lost soul. That’s a fact.

bikebob

Would that be two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl year after year

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Wish you were here.

jamj1974

Not mad on them. Don’t mind bits of The Wall or DSoTM. Really like See Emily Play though.

tymbian
    Free Member

Big fan here..saw them in about ’87 at the Olympic stadium in Munich. A momentary lapse of reason…

Not a particularly big fan of their early stuff ( pre 70’s ) and i think they were a better band for having Roger Waters..

I hate soccer also.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Honest opinion of Pink Floyd – a couple of their albums are ok, Dark Side and Wish You Were Here, but most other albums just bore me after a while, not tried the new album but the thought of it makes my balls ache

That’s not to say that we should all have the same taste of course

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Loved them from first seeing them in 68 right up to The Wall when suddenly I didn’t like the direction they’d taken. The odd track I like but the total love and trust I felt has gone.
    And The Endless River is… Err…. Interesting…? 😕

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘Pink Floyd’ is closed to new replies.