Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Pinion gearbox demo today! Questions?
  • gingersquirrel
    Free Member

pinion

Not sure if the image has worked but very happy with mine. It just works very well.

I went for it to just have a hassle free solution for the gearing. Im not a fan of fettling with my bikes and quite lazy with cleaning and maintenance. It has been great for the last 6 months but really came into its own yesterday. I went out on a very muddy Cotswold claggy route. Previously this would have turned my drive chain into a complete mess after an hour but I enjoyed clean precise shifting the whole route. You do give away a slight weight penalty but if anything this has a positive affect on the handling of the bike as the weight is so low down.

joshvegas
    Free Member

How much is an actual pinion.

Colin @retrodirect built a pinion frame with a bolt in adapter for a normal bb.

That would be a great way to go for some bikes. You could even have ebb options etc.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d still go for the belt drive though, simply for that zero maintenance.

You could fit a Heebie Chainglider to reduce the maintenance. They may or may not work but I’d certainly try it if I had a single sprocket and ring.

ta11pau1

I’m not sure you can buy a pinion gearbox on it’s own, you have to buy one with a frame.

Did another peaks ride today and it highlighted just how quiet and smooth the gearbox was, my eagle was grinding away on my FS bike.

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

It does look like the right bike to do the next 5/6 months of battling the mud of the North Downs,and thereabouts .

tomhoward

How much is an actual pinion

Zerode sell them separately for about £800

https://zerodebikes.com/products-list/taniwha-c112-drive-train

velocipede
    Free Member

The timing of this post is unbelievable! I posted a question about this bike yesterday!

All the answers to my questions provided perfectly – thanks OP!

ta11pau1

It does look like the right bike to do the next 5/6 months of battling the mud of the North Downs,and thereabouts .

Exactly this, it was distressing seeing my newly built FS bike covered in mud for a solid 6 months last winter, and I fancy a hardtail so why not get one that will be perfect for winter use.

I’m looking at the nordest lacrau 2 Ti, nice and slack and made for a 160mm fork 😁

https://nordestcycles.com/en/product/lacrau-2-ti-frame

Works out at £2700 for frame, gearbox, shifter, cranks, plus the gates belt drive kit (front and rear sprockets and belt), and they’ll throw in a Pinion H2R rear hub, which has 120 engagement points.

Gotama
    Free Member

Can you get it as frame only or is it full bike ? Not sure I’d want all the lovemud kit. Quite fancy a Nicolai Argon with pinion.

And @tomhoward I thought you were promising some new gearbox bike reveal in a thread a week or so ago?

tomhoward

You didn’t see the carbon cranks for pinion gearboxes @gotama? If someone else makes some, I haven’t heard of them.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Works out at £2700 for frame, gearbox, shifter, cranks, plus the gates belt drive kit (front and rear sprockets and belt), and they’ll throw in a Pinion H2R rear hub, which has 120 engagement points.

Good price and what I should have bought instead of my Sick.  Much the same thing but hopefully from people who can measure.

120 engagement points, normally I’d be a bit meh but with the Pinion gearbox it’s a definite bonus to minimise the slack in the pickup

kelron
    Free Member

Making me want things I can’t have.

ta11pau1

Can you get it as frame only or is it full bike ? Not sure I’d want all the lovemud kit. Quite fancy a Nicolai Argon with pinion.

Talking with the sonder guys, you can buy one frame (and gearbox) only, it’s classed as a custom Signal Ti, £2650 but don’t think that includes the sprockets/chain. You’ll be able to spec geometry too as it’s a custom frame so you can choose a longer travel fork etc.

Nicolai do a few frames with pinions, I want a titanium frame though so I don’t have to worry about it being scratched over winter. Also, the sonder felt ‘nice’, not stiff but not flexy – taught but damped in a way, a warm feeling, sort of.

ta11pau1

They did a Q&A on insta the other day, loads of Qs about electrics, they acknowledged the question but basically said they aren’t going to comment on what they may or may not do.

Just watched this, thanks – didn’t know they did a reverse shifting indicator, I went the wrong way a couple of times so might have to get one.

My gravel bike sold very quickly so I will be ordering the new frame very shortly! :D

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Pinion gearbox demo today! Questions?’ is closed to new replies.