Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 99 total)
  • Pictures of your pre 2000 Kona please.
  • thorpie
    Free Member

As above, 97 Cindercone, why do my pictures disappear after a couple of days?

Trevor.

ziggy
    Free Member

1989 Fire Mountain that I’m renovating for a friend

GlitterGary
    Free Member

thorpie – That Cindercone is magnificent. I loved the matt blue colour that year, with the new graphics.

Why don’t they make the new bikes look as good?

thorpie
    Free Member

Thanks GlitterGary, certainly is a minter. It was up for sale cause I need the money but I think I will keep it now, took me a while to settle on some forks but I love the look of the PACE RC30s that fit in with the black and silver theme. They are not as lively as P2s, probably because they are db compared to tb P2s but are direct and compliant. The rest of the build was quite easy, mainly XT with period correct sugino mighty 900 chainset, even managed to get some nos Kona tyres!

Trevor.

oldboy
    Free Member

No pics yet, but I have a 1998 Hei Hei Ti with the original, but by now trashed, groupset. I was going to sell the frame as I have new Ti hardtail on the way, then I thought ‘no way I’m selling this’, so I’m re-building it with a newish s/h XT groupset (inc V-brakes) and rigid P2s.

woodsman
    Free Member

’95 Cindercone leading 47 retro-riders through the Surrey Hills a couple of weeks back….

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Ace!

oldfart

I’ve got a Aha cruiser (stars n bars ) but wouldn’t have the foggiest how to post a picture of it !

martindc
    Free Member

thepodge
    Free Member

oops

martindc
    Free Member

97 Kilauea daily commute

kona kilaeua by martindc5th, on Flickr

brack
    Free Member

ooops bear with me

brack
    Free Member

1996 Killy ridden from new..JOGLE, Malin to Mizen, Lhasa- KTM blah blah welded twice

Lava Dome

My LD 1996

Blackhound

My 1994 Kilauea:

[/url] IMG_0977 by blackhound59, on Flickr[/img]

And the resprayed frame, again by Mercian Cycles, no built up pics:

[/url] IMG_1118 by blackhound59, on Flickr[/img]

yossarian
    Free Member

Ace pic woodsman!

Old kona’s are bloody great. I had a 99 explosif and I flippin sold it! Only bike I regret selling.

thorpie
    Free Member

Arrgh! My picture has disappeared again even though it is on a public photo hosting site? Any way here is a link to the full build thread along with loads more photos.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=156266&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Trevor.

tazzymtb

i used to really want one of these

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Not mine, but I used to think these looked badass. Even better with some Z1 Duals.

stuartm555
    Free Member

1995 (I think) Cindercone – although not the usual colour as it was bought frame only. Snapped the chainstay around 2002 – welded it and have used it as a commuter since. Sometimes get tempted to convert it back to a mtb.

Getting lost on the commute by Stuart Marshall, on Flickr

Mike_D
    Free Member

1995 Kilauea (with a bit of a slack chain):

And a similar vintage work in progress:

which has accumulated a few more bits since that picture was taken but is nowhere near being an actual bicycle yet 🙂

grizzer
    Free Member

what year did kona start using aloy for cindercones ? i thought i bought mine in 97 but the one above in blue was steel,mine was blue too but is made from DB 7005 aluminium, ive still got the frame its hangin on the bedroom wall.. 🙂

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Grizzer, I think alloy Cindercones came in around 99-2000. I think. 😉

grizzer
    Free Member

Looks like it was 99 model,iam thinkin of gettin it respraid and would like to know what you retro guys think as it seems that if aint steel it aint reel 😉 worth it or not ?

samsibke
    Free Member

Fantastic thread,I have to ride one to make sure I still feel the lust!

brack
    Free Member

Grizzer…your call

But personally I’d not waste my time..

I ride the old Konas because they work for me, ive never been swayed by the fashions, and are fixable if they break.

thorpie
    Free Member

See if my pictures stay put this time!

Trevor.

MadBillMcMad

my 95 explosif

tonyd

Great thread! I have a 94 or 95 Cinder Cone (must take photos), it used to be my commuter but I now have a ~50 mile round trip which is a bit much for that 🙂 When I got it through Ebay the only thing that wasn’t original was the saddle, since then I’ve changed tyres, pedals, brake pads, and a new BB.

(Dumb) Question – the brakes have always terrified me at speed in the rain with panniers (and I’m too fat), I know they were never that good but would new cables help? Even in the dry it’s hard to stop and the levers feel very tight.

MadBillMcMad

yep – new inners & outers – properly set up they should be absolutely fine.

clubber
    Free Member

I was out on my ’95 Kilauea this morning 🙂

dukeduvet

Picture 106 by Ian Dyson, on Flickr

Apologies for quality, it was taken on my mobile in a hurry but I love this bike. Rides great with lots of steel spring. Always puts a grin on my face.

racefaceec90

i have seen a lovely classic kona explosif at bradford on avon canal towpath a few times just like this one :-)i totally agree about modern kona’s not being what they used to be (and i’d like to add marin as well to that 😉 edit my charge skinny duster is a lot like the classic steel kona’s 🙂 (as i never was lucky enough to be able to afford a kona back in the day)

kerv
    Free Member

007 by Kerv F, on Flickr

My ’97 Explosif, owned from new..

GlitterGary
    Free Member

racefaceec90 – My brother used to have that exact same Kona, it even looks the same size.

I used to take it for a ride on the sly when he was out, it absolutely flew, and it was fun bunny hopping with his spd shoes that were 3 sizes too big. 😀

Alex

99 I think. Sold on when I bought my first FS. Shame as it’d be awesome around the FoD

Kona Caldera – May 03 – July 05 by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

And a 92/93. Also sold on as it looked lovely but was never really ridden.

Kona Kilauea by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

rainbow
    Free Member

Plenty of Kona’s on link:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19592

Enjoy

thepodge
    Free Member

a lot of the new 29ers seem to echo the classic looks of old Kona frames

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

What frame material were the gold Explosif’s?

Used to love mine!

racefaceec90

have a look here 😉 http://www.konaretro.com/showarticle.php?path=articles/catalogues/ EDIT i really wish i could have got a kona.i actually was going to get a cinder cone (splatter paint job one) but for some stupid reason,i never ended up going for one DOH!

dawson

My old Hahanna about ’97, sold it for £50 to fund my current bike (2001 Lava Dome £150 – funds were tight)

Looking back I wish I could have kept hold of it – the frame was spotless and it was virtually original apart from the Maxxis rear tyre

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘Pictures of your pre 2000 Kona please.’ is closed to new replies.