Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 207 total)
  • Picking flowers in the countryside (middle class rant)
  • Drac

It’s not a crime to pick wild flowers, digging them up is.

Yes Fing infront of kids is a bit strong but I’d probably asked you to move on if you’d had a go at my kids for picking flowers. I teach them it’s ok to pick a few but not boat loads. Daffs are almost fair game unless there part of a display, there’s thousands of the buggers now. You see them in waste ground, industrial estates and all over.

antigee

saying that’s not a good thing for young children to hear!

think you probably lost contact at that point

jon1973
    Free Member

It’s not a crime to pick wild flowers, digging them up is.

I thought you just need the permission of the landowner?

edit

Under the Wildlife and Countryside Act, 1981, which covers Britain, it is illegal to uproot any wild plant without permission from the landowner or occupier.

Although, if it’s owned by the local authority, I doubt they’d give you permission, so it amounts to the same thing.

donsimon
    Free Member

Isn’t the official legal position on this one of not affecting anyone else and if the perpetrators consider it to be in the interest of their own safety (that they don’t get leathered for not giving mother’s day flowers or jumping a red light), then it’s ok to break the rules?

Drac

Yup uproot that’s not picking.

Taking from a local park or display is a bit much but picking from some growing wild is fine in moderation, least I think it is.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Disagree strongly drac – if everyone takes a few there soon are none left.

Drac

“If”

BadlyWiredDog

Were they real daffodils or those plastic ones that the local tourist boards are now planting to save money. Did you even think of checking?

_tom_
    Free Member

I can’t actually believe somebody is angry over some flowers being picked 😆 Possibly one of the most ridiculous threads on this forum.

BadlyWiredDog

What’s the consumer law say on that TJ? If the daffs aren’t fit for purpose, can you return them to the landowner within a set period and claim compensation? I bet you can… 😉

SamCooke
    Free Member

Woman, gets up and storms off and shouts to me ‘gerrra life’.
    Me: Got one thanks.

Ho ho ho! That’s hilarious. Talk about Oscar Wilde! She must have almost wet herself on hearing that response! You really put her down with that one. So often in these situations you only think of these snappy responses hours later. You should do some improv standup! “got one thanks”! Brilliant,

Drac

If everyone was to take them back would they be able to cope?

donsimon
    Free Member

A bit like:
    If everyone jumped red lights there’d be chaos.
    If everyone went speeding on their motorbikes there’d be carnage.
    🙄

yossarian
    Free Member

Nail ’em up
    Nail some sense into ’em

Drac

If everyone was to pick them then everyone would benefit from them achieving the purpose of having them?

jon1973
    Free Member

If nobody picked daffodils the countryside would be overrun with them.

BadlyWiredDog

If everyone was to take them back would they be able to cope?

There would be CHAOS. I think I can say, without any fear of contradiction, that such a scenario would certainly mark the end of civilisation as we know it. I’m starting to see why Bummyhop was so concerned in the first place.

chewkw
    Free Member

jon1973 – Member

If nobody picked daffodils the countryside would be overrun with them.

Ohhh … that would be very nice … flowers all over. 🙂

I think children picking one or two is fine but judging from OP, the family is harvesting wild flowers which is rather selfish because there are others who want to enjoy looking at them too.

jon1973
    Free Member

Daffodils are the grey squirrels of the flower world.

Drac

Are Daffodils the new triffid?

chewkw
    Free Member

jon1973 – Member

Daffodils are the grey squirrels of the flower world.

Can you eat them?

If yes, I am in for massive harvesting … 😆

jon1973
    Free Member

they look evil to me
    [img]http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01418/squirrel3_1418573a.jpg[/img]

geoffj

Its all gardening anyway http://www.ihatedaffodils.org.uk/links/links.htm

Some argue that the culture of not picking flowers / putting ladybirds in jars has contributed significantly to the reduced the number of folk with the necessary skills to help manage conservation.

I’m inclined to agree.

In each case they damage the natural environment, providing no real
    benefit to wildlife but making the countryside look like a garden.

Britain’s wildflowers are under threat enough already, with
    road verges often the only place left for them to grow.
    We should be appreciating the natural beauty of wildflowers,
    not planting Garden Daffodils all over them.

It’s like painting lipstick on the Mona Lisa!

chewkw
    Free Member

Don’t take what is not given. 🙄

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Drac be right on this one – 1968 Theft act, Section 4, subsection 3 😀

Now, you’ll excuse me while I go off exercising my ancient right to glean the fields and scrump apples 😉

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I couldn’t agree more with TJ, I mean IF everyone picked wild Daffs there’s a good chance there’d be none left. Except ‘everyone’ won’t, & never have.
    On the other hand if ‘everyone’ picked them, would they hunt out all those hidden ones we come across in out of the way places? Cos if they didn’t, there’d still be some left!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Don’t take what is not given

Does that include blackberries & apples etc, that grow on common land or do you need permission to take them?

donsimon
    Free Member

Air?

loum
    Free Member

ds ,
    don’t start on the ‘shrooms now.

chewkw
    Free Member

esselgruntfuttock – Member

Does that include blackberries & apples etc, that grow on common land or do you need permission to take them?

If in doubt then use that as moral code otherwise you might want to ask for permission from whoever they are.

don simon – Member

Air?

Can I have that back please … 😆

jon1973
    Free Member

I pick sloes every year without permission.

chewkw
    Free Member

jon1973 – Member

I pick sloes every year without permission.

So you are depriving animals of their food supply then …

Do you clear them out or do you leave some for the animals?

🙄

donsimon
    Free Member

Personally I take the animals too, tally-ho!

IanMunro
    Free Member

I leave a saucer of sloe gin out for the squirrels at christmas.

SaxonRider

When I was a kid, we would go for long family hikes on which I remember picking things here and there. I picked them because I loved them, though at some point my dad explained to me that it was important to have regard for the resources (whatever they were). So I grew out of the practice. End of. No harm done, and a pleasant childhood to remember without any do-gooders and busy bodies telling me that I couldn’t pick the flowers.

Unless it’s something serious – like (but not limited to) violence/bullying/harrassment etc., people should just stay the h*ll out of other people’s business.

jon1973
    Free Member

So you are depriving animals of their food supply then …

I normally leave them freshly picked daffodils so they have something to eat.

Bunnyhop

SamCooke – Member

Woman, gets up and storms off and shouts to me ‘gerrra life’.
    Me: Got one thanks.

Ho ho ho! That’s hilarious. Talk about Oscar Wilde! She must have almost wet herself on hearing that response! You really put her down with that one. So often in these situations you only think of these snappy responses hours later. You should do some improv standup! “got one thanks”! Brilliant, It wasn’t supposed to be hilarious, witty or a smart crack.
    Unlike the majority of people on this forum, I’m not articulate or had a high education.

So maybe being a slightly thicker type of person my priorities are for the environment and the world around us.

Our local council spent hundreds of pounds giving out daffodil bulbs and asking people to plant them around the countryside in there own time.

The area that had them in this afternoon, no longer has any left and no they won’t last until mothering Sunday.

emsz
    Free Member

TBH come sept time I’m foraging like mad, apples plums blackberries, bags and bags of them, no one ever minds.

what’s the difference between that and picking daffs?

donsimon
    Free Member

what’s the difference between that and picking daffs?

Daffodils taste crap.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 207 total)

The topic ‘Picking flowers in the countryside (middle class rant)’ is closed to new replies.