Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Photoshop – help
  • singletracksurfer

my old version 4 had the pen tool option that enabled you to draw a line, change it and then fill/stroke path.

I updated my pc to Windows 7 which won’t run photoshop 4, so bought v6 – no pen tool, upgraded to 8 – no pen tool.

Does CS5 have it? I spoke to the Adobe helpdesk(!) and from their broken English think it may do, but does anyone here know for sure?

Thanks very much.

Klunk
    Free Member

it’s under the shape tool now…

Line Tool, in the pull down/flyout menu then the last of the three “style” options (a plain box) next to the pull down will give you the same as early version line tool.

dogbert
    Free Member

Yes it does, press P on your keyboard and it should select it (luckily I am learning this right now)

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Hmm, I think what you are describing relates to vector rather than bitmap graphics, something that Illustrator uses. PS is more for bitmap images. In CS3 at least there is a ‘freeform pen tool’ which is simliar to the pen tool in Illustrator. For that kind of work, I’d be using Illustrator as it’s the right tool for the job. The pen tool in PS does have the simliar ‘add’ and ‘remove anchor point’ funktions though.

The pen tool in PS allows you to attribute ‘styles’ to it, so you can draw shapes with a fill of a particular style, or, you can create custom brushes with the pencil and brush tools, and attribute a ‘style’ to that layer; for eg; if you want a stroke outline to a brush stroke, then you can attribute a stroke outline to that layer, and each brushstroke will have the stroke outline attached.

I don’t know if this at all helpful really.

singletracksurfer

Thanks people. Ah it’s PS v7 I have actually.

Can’t find it under the line tool and pressing P doesn’t help. Is this because its v7?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member
    singletracksurfer

ah, I think the problem might be because I have PS Elements – didn’t know this was different.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Heh! That might explain it, eh? 😆

PS7 you might be able to find on Ebay or simliar. If you wanted PS6 for a Mac, I could have sorted you out.

You should be able to find CS1, 2 and 3 quite cheap though, as I think we’re on 5 now. CS will include Illustrator, Dreamweaver and other bits too.

singletracksurfer

arse. didn’t know elements was ‘lesser’ version.

thanks for your help elfin, I’ll get yet another copy – this time a proper one 😉
    tempted to get a MAC sometime (i have some money)

singletracksurfer

can’t find a copy of PS7 (all seem to be Elements), but as a teacher (well married to one 😉 ), would this be a good call?

http://www.adobe.software4students.co.uk/product.aspx?productname=adobe_photoshop_extended_cs5_student_and_teacher_edition__pc

Cheers

singletracksurfer

bump 😕

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Yeah; that’s for ‘non commercial purposes’ but all it is is the type of licence to use it; the software is identical to the full-priced version.

Basically, if Adobe catch you using it to make money, you will burn for eternity in the fiery pit of Hell.

Or sumfink.

Well worth it. As is the full Creative Suite which contains Illustrator, Dreamweaver and that.

singletracksurfer

Great, thanks. You say ‘well worth it, as is the full CS’ is this not?

Not really using it for work directly.

ah I see, think you mean Design Premium.

Militant_biker

I think the full Creative Suite that Elfin refers to is a whole bundle; which – depending on which flavour (Web, Design, Production etc.) – comes with a different mix of programs, of which Photoshop is but one.

singletracksurfer

thanks. all seems overkill for my current needs – just want to be able to use the pen tool again, but if I can’t get a copy of PS7 (non Elements), I (sorry, my wife) might just go for CS5.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Photoshop – help’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM