Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Photographers – Whats the best all round / do it all lense?
  • TuckerUK
    Free Member

I use my 35mm f1.8 almost exclusively. Very versatile,

Excellent lens for the price (I have one too). But on anything smaller than full frame it’s a telephoto lens. Group shots in a room?

footflaps

I’ll tell you what, if I ever meet anyone who needs a picture taking of a green pop bottle, I’ll be sure to recommend you.

So that’s what it was, I did wonder……

MrSmith
    Free Member

It was just a bit of light hearted banter 😀

Buy the fastest lens you can afford. Which could possibly be a S/H 24-70 2.8 mk1. Means your cross AF points are fully utilised and better than IS as IS doesn’t stop your subject moving. It’s not a patch optically on the new version or primes but if it’s for Flickr you are not going to notice the difference.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

By far and away my most used is my 10-22mm wide angle.
    the equiv for FF is the 16-35mmL and is fantastic

My second most used is a 24-70 f2.8

Third is a 50mm f1.8 prime (only for portraits)

it really depends on what you are taking photos of, but I would avoid a broad range zoom, as the more range it has the greater the compromise in image quality to price (as a rule of thumb)

theflatboy
    Free Member

TuckerUK – Member

But on anything smaller than full frame it’s a telephoto lens. Group shots in a room?

true… I just stand further back. 😀

(or potentially stick a different lens on if I have one with me!)

zokes
    Free Member

It was just a bit of light hearted banter

Sorry, it’s hard for us sometime sunset shooters to tell at times

Not particularly that relevant to the op but my lenses in order of least used on my Sony (crop sensor) are…

Tamron 70-300mm f4

Sony 18-55mm f3.5 kit lens

Minolta 50mm f1.7 – my usual choice for walkabout

Want a wider prime next – prob 35mm and also something really wide angle.

footflaps

Sorry, it’s hard for us sometime sunset shooters to tell at times

Sunsets! That makes you a pro. I mainly shoot cats – in boxes….

George in a box by brf, on Flickr

zokes
    Free Member

Sunsets! That makes you a pro.

Nope, can’t be. I clearly don’t take enough pictures of cranes on dull days from oblique angles.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Having now bothered to read the whole thread and your camera body choice, if you can afford it the already recommended by many £822 (Warehouse Express) Canon 24-105mm f/4 would be ideal.

Read a review from (in my opinion) the best (i.e. most accurate) online lens review site HERE.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Nope, can’t be. I clearly don’t take enough pictures of cranes on dull days from oblique angles.

weather looks a bit iffy, what’s stopping you.

molgrips
    Free Member

That makes you a pro. I mainly shoot cats – in boxes….

You are Erwin Schrödinger and I claim my £5

zokes
    Free Member

weather looks a bit iffy, what’s stopping you.

I live in Australia – weather’s glorious. Oh, and I have a real job to get to….

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Back before I jumped ship I used a Canon 24-105L rather a lot… and it was pretty good, but then I bought a 24mm prime which was so much better.

Currently I am using a Nikon 24-70 f2.8 most of the time, and if I were going back to Canon I would probably get the equivalent. It is a big, heavy lump but optically it is superb and the extra stop of light is so handy both for low light situations and nice background blur.

That said, I think I am going to invest in a 24mm, 50mm and 85 or 105mm in the near future as that should cover most my basis – and for Ultrawide I have a 12-24 anyway… and the long end covered by a 70-200 2.8 and 300 4

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Currently I am using a Nikon 24-70 f2.8 most of the time, and if I were going back to Canon I would probably get the equivalent.

There isn’t an equivalent, trust me. 😉

MrSmith
    Free Member

I live in Australia – weather’s glorious. Oh, and I have a real job to get to….

Oh well, there’s always the beautiful sunsets.
    ‘real job’ ? I had one of those once, never again 8)

polarisandy
    Free Member

a fast 35 and a set of legs?

soundninjauk

If I only took one lens with me, it would be a 50mm prime.

If I had to have just one, then it’d be my fast fifty. If I was allowed two, then the 50 and the 12-24 (crop sensor Pentax).

zokes
    Free Member

Oh well, there’s always the beautiful sunsets.

Every cloud, MrSmith, every cloud….

*looks out of window* Oh, there aren’t any!

flannol
    Free Member

24-70 f/2.8

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Photographers – Whats the best all round / do it all lense?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM