Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Phone not receiving SMS or calls – any idea?
  • yorkshire89
    Free Member

My Samsung Galaxy S4 has started playing up in the last couple of days.
    I’m not receiving phone calls or SMS for a few hours, then they all come through at once, even though I have signal.

I’ve done a reset on the phone but this hasn’t solved it, any ideas?

scotroutes

Have you dropped it? Could be a faulty aerial connection.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Issues with the operator / local cell?

Does this problem occur in the same location or anywhere?

yorkshire89
    Free Member

It has been dropped a fair amount, but not in the last couple of days that I remember.

It’s happening from work / home but they are only within 5 miles of eachother.

I should have added, outgoing calls seem ok. I just can’t receive them 😕

gauss1777
    Free Member

Turn it off and back on again??

gauss1777
    Free Member

Oops, missed what you’d done already, sorry.

yorkshire89
    Free Member

That was the first thing I did!

john_drummer
    Free Member

Check your settings – if you’re set up for 4G but you’re in an area of only 3G coverage, this will happen. Change to 3G and save changes then switch off & on again

fasthaggis

My Samsung Galaxy S4 has started playing up

I’m not receiving phone calls or SMS for a few hours, then they all come through at once,

Yup MrsH’s S4 has been doing the same thing (on and off)
    Done resets and had it back to the shop (Virgin),but still does it.
    She’s getting a new phone(not Samsung)

Cougar

Check your settings – if you’re set up for 4G but you’re in an area of only 3G coverage, this will happen. Change to 3G and save changes then switch off & on again

Seriously? That must be a quirk of that particular handset (either that or it’s broken), my HTC switches xG just fine.

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Check your settings – if you’re set up for 4G but you’re in an area of only 3G coverage

Didn’t realise you could do that! My internet works fine through 4G so assume this is a separate issue?

matt_outandabout

Mrs_OAB’s iPhone has been back to the shop twice with a not getting text issues….

fisha
    Free Member

Every once in a while, some operators update their server settings for the likes of calls and SMS ( i.e when sending a text, it actually first sends it to an operator phone number which comes from the settings stored in the phone … if thats not correct, then it wont send) . There should be an option somewhere for you to download the current operator settings. May be enough to kick start things working correctly ?

core

I’ve had a couple of samsungs, won’t again. I like them but both have died within 12 months effectively, and always got crap signal compared to other phones on same network, also show signal but state ’emergency calls only’ a lot of the time. I’d try a new SIM card, then a new phone. Samsung only 12 month warranty as standard, most other android devices 24 months apparently. Both of mine suffered battery/power issues, turning off randomly, random battery life, inaccurate battery percentage indication, different models, years apart.

Just switched to second hand iPhone 6, it’s got no back button, which is a stupid idea, and is less intuitive, more restrictive, but better in every other way I think.

maccruiskeen

There should be an option somewhere for you to download the current operator settings. May be enough to kick start things working correctly ?

or phone your phone provider and they’ll text them to you

Cougar

Samsung only 12 month warranty as standard, most other android devices 24 months apparently

EU directive states a 2 year warranty.

Consumer Rights Act states a “reasonable” amount of time, which can be anything up to six years. I’d argue that a phone failing whilst you’re still paying for it is unreasonable.

deadkenny
    Free Member

john_drummer – Member 

Phones will pick the best connection and fall back as appropriate when not available.

If it’s a 4G phone and there’s 4G signal then that’s what it will pick. No 4G it will drop to 3G if available, then 2G. Plus bit more complex with various data systems, 4G, 3G, Edge, GPRS, etc.

But you shouldn’t have to set your phone to anything particular. Set it to 3G (if it will let you) and that’s the max you will get even in a 4G zone. Whatever you set you should always be able to make/receive calls and send/receive texts so long as there’s a basic signal of any kind for your network, even if you can’t use data.

unovolo
    Free Member

Can’t you put the sim in another phone just to see what difference it makes.
    The other phone if unlocked network wise should prompt to download any network settings anyway.

That should indicate if its a hardware issue with your regular phone.

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Well it seems to have fixed itself for now. I’ve had the phone 2 years now so can’t really complain.
    My screen has also started flickering intermittently so have a feeling it’s probably time for a new phone soon…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Phone not receiving SMS or calls – any idea?’ is closed to new replies.